Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Buying Yeti Xl Advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Default Buying Yeti Xl Advice.

I am looking at getting a yxl. I have a regular yeti now and a bunch of traxxas rcs. I am going to sell those off and move into a yeti xl. What is the best way to buy? I see the kit is the way to go but what about used? I know someone that has 1200.00 into a yxl kit one with tx/rc which I don't need but he wants to sell as package. He has lots of hop ups and I can sell the tx/rx. I have a mmp2 and cc2200 to put into it. I was trying to look on the for sale forum here but don't have enough posts. I also see rtr rollers on Craig's list but not sure if it is cost effective being it doesn't have the kit upgrades. I am trying to make a list of recommended mods to compare buying new kit with mods vs local yeti used for sale or roller on eBay. I want to build a strong yxl that won't break a lot Any help would be great. Any help in best way to buy to buy and recommended mods. Thank you in advanced. Also how many posts needed to get into for sale forum?

Here is my list of mods I see per reading forum. Still reading posts to complete list:
Hot racing wheels nuts
Servo pert 7701 or Holmes
Hv400
Gmp drawk stearing rack
Aluminum servo Arm
tires???
Learo2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Default Re: Buying Yeti Xl Advice.

Just saw this post for a kit roller on eBay for 375.00. Price seems reasonable but don't want to buy someone's mess.

Axial 1 8 Yeti XL Rock Racer Monster Buggy 4WD Kit | eBay

Modified yeti. 775.
Axial Yeti XL | eBay
Old 07-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Make sure if you buy used it comes with the cage, body, and tires as any one of those will spoil the deal. Used is the best way. Usually there are a few here on the classifieds. Rctech.net too.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I bought a used Yeti XL. It's a blast to drive and I feel like I got a pretty good deal. However, if you like to upgrade, build, tweak, tune, etc. I suggest getting the kit, ESC and motor off ebay (or Holmes Hobbies), and servo and BEC from Holmes or LHS.

I have spent enough cash tweaking and modding this RTR to my liking that I really could have purchased a kit for a few bucks more.

The Yeti XL is really fun to drive. I look at a stuff that my 1/10 RCs couldn't even attempt to drive over and the Yeti XL eats up the terrain like a hungry beast. It's fun to watch suspension work. It's different to drive, in a good way, a fun way.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

You know what....Losi is releasing the new LST XXL-2 electric...if I had known that I would have purchased that instead of the 480!!!
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I bought a used xl, had it for three months, not broke anything except for the tires coming unglued. I have put the hot racing read sway bar, and the Barndog aluminum body kit. Just ordered the dhawk steering rack. Love it and would highly recommend it to anyone. FYI, I payed $400 for my stock rtr used off Craigslist.
Silverblazer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have 2 yeti 1/10's (1 kit) and 3 yeti xl's (2kits, 1 rtr) and I can tell you that they are fun and a blast but at the end of a full day of myself & multiple kids the only things left moving are the losi and mugen truggies. The yetis are lucky to last through 1-2 battery packs without something going south. A diff, slipper, driveshaft, or some cage component are the norm. I won't even get into trying to keep the beads glued in one the tires that's a whole new realm of PITA. So in essence if you are looking for bulletproof or longevity pass on the yeti's, but if you like bashing and also like tinkering/fixing/or modding then by all means jump on in! It wouldn't be so bad but keeping 5 up and running is bleeding my bank account. Luckily the 3rd xl kit is for my wife, she wants a pink one so it keeps me out of the doghouse with the spending....
rob4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

A great line up of Rc for the family. Sounds very cool.

Just bought the kit and about to start the build and the comments on the XL's has me a little concerned. Hope that damage is from some monumental smack down bashing and not just regular running? It's not so much the cost but waiting for replacement parts here in the UK that might become an issue. I'm far from a basher anyway so hopefully it be all good.
Mexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

What's weird with the yeti is , some days it will be no problems and then others as soon as you drive it something happens. I'm pretty OCD with stuff though. The weight is the things biggest downfall. When it hits something, lands wrong or just flops it's a hard hit no matter what.

6' plus backflips off a chain link fence are pretty damn cool no matter how hard it is on the rear drive shaft. Just roll up to the fence and tap it once and then floor it and let off, viola! Instant aerial acrobatics. Needless to say my bashing vision and others may be on different plateaus.
rob4607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
You know what....Losi is releasing the new LST XXL-2 electric...if I had known that I would have purchased that instead of the 480!!!
Keep your XL. Yours is just too damn nice.

I built / converted a XXL. Just got the cahones to run 6S. In all honesty this will be used more than my YXL. Coming from a Losi 8T the XXL is just as easy to work on and just as bullet proof.

More vids than this one on my YT channel but love the XXL.
">
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

The 480 is just not very nimble at all. It requires a very unique bash spot to utilize it's design. I'm still not sure what it's bash spot should be..... I use a lightly modded Savage XL, UE extended Picco'd Tmaxx and the 480 pretty much every Sunday evening. The Savage is a TANK and the only one who survives with no breakage 85% of the time. The Maxx is about the same I guess...it's just real quick.... The 480 is always first to break. Gets annoying really. It's always something simple now but I do not have a stock 480 either. RPM needs to release their front arms for this rig. They responded Aug in my last begging email LOL....
The XXl2 is even tougher than a Savage. I may buy one and Sacrifice the 480. IDK. the 480 does have the "wow" factor.
Fordfreak95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:24 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I hate to be the downer of the group because I really do want to love this truck but I've all but given up on it. As others have said it's mostly a money pit. But not just being all negative about it if someone does want to get it you still can have fun, just stay 4s. I love this truck on 6s but as far as it holding up its just a dream and will never happen. Instead of going into detail of all the breakages I'll just say that it will prob go up for sale soon.I do have a new found appreciation for my savage.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordfreak95 View Post
Just finished building my Yeti 380 kit and I love it. I was about to pull the trigger on the YXL kit, until I came across this thread. I think I'm going to hold off for a while until reviews come out for the XXL-2. If its as bullet proof as some of the posts claim, that it may be a better investment for me.

Does anyone know if the Dynamite electronics that come in the XXL-2 are based on a name brand system (like the Vanguard system that comes in the Yeti XL is based on CC electronics)?

DynamiteŽ 2200KV Brushless Motor
DynamiteŽ Waterproof Brushless ESC 120A

Losi: LST XXL2-E RTR, AVC: 1/8 Electric 4WD MT: Losi (LOS04004)

Thanks!

EDIT: Looks like its based on the CC Sidewinder 8 combo

Last edited by ark1t3kt; 07-20-2015 at 11:13 AM.
ark1t3kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I'd agree that the XXL would suit people better mostly for the same reason that they'd also probably enjoy a Slash 4x4 over the Yeti 380.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #15
RCC Addict

the steering on the YXL is silly...You'll need a metal draglink and upgraded servo saver. You'll also need an aluminum servo arm.

Suspension leaves a lot to be desired as well but the only thing I see needed over RTR is the metal links from the Kit and the RTR springs instead of the kit springs.

Over 350oz servo with an External BEC is my recommendation but smaller will work (250 at least).

Basic radio is fine - you only need to go forward, reverse and left/right.

Other than that, the yeti needs nothing else.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #16

Thanks for the help. I looked at the Losi and it looks like a monster truck to me. Plus hard to find parts of not ordered on line. I have a local hobby shop that Is axial heavy. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Gotta admit it looks crazy

http://youtu.be/pSyqzrL0GC8
Mexxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Goddamn it, this has me reconsidering getting something else over the 480. Damn you people.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #19

After watching the videos yesterday I am second guessing getting a Yxl. I really don't like the looks of monster trucks but it looks burley. Looks like it will hold up to 6s and from what I can tell the yxl would cost a lot in mods to handle 6s. My only concern is avalability of parts and price of parts. Also would different tires work? Another issue is release date. I know it's set for mid August but I have seen dates get pushed back and back.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

For All who are comparing the YXL and Losi XXL. Keep in mind these are two totally and i mean totally different vehicles in every way. Don't let the 30sec YT videos alone make up your decision. The Orange Losi XXL looked cool going off the ramp on it's lid and doing wheelies but the shock towers, body posts, body itself and diffs would sing a different tune on the bench and after run video. The motor temps due to the motor mount and run time driving it like that would be less than stellar.

Both will break with the Losi XXL taking a few peg board hangers and the YXL taking 4x that of spares.

YOU need to decide what you are doing with either of them. 20ft jumps, back flips, standing wheelies, driving into a brick wall expecting no breakages, being a complete Ding Dong and driving it like you stole it is NOT for the YXL. I drive my YXL is places that the Losi XXL would struggle with and vice versa.

I absolutely love my YXL and my Losi XXL. If i had to choose one or the other, it would be the Losi XXL. They each have there place.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buying Yeti Xl Advice. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on buying Deckard Axial Yeti XL 0 07-02-2015 09:29 AM
advice for anyone buying the spawn krazikev Axial Wraith 9 01-04-2015 10:01 AM
need advice on buying a moa crawler w. cost crawler General Crawlers 12 12-31-2013 01:29 AM
Need advice, buying new remote SunShine Electronics 2 09-21-2012 02:04 PM
Buying Slash 4x4 PE, any advice? crazyorigin Non Crawler RC's 12 02-06-2010 10:23 AM