Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: How would a Yeti survive in the snow?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question How would a Yeti survive in the snow?

Hey guys,

I am in Northern VA and we are about to experience a blizzard. I would of course love to take my Yeti out in it but am unsure of what problems I might face. Do people do this? Can the Yeti be taken through snow without technical problems? (the name sure suggests it could! )

I have seen bashing videos online with Yetis but I don't know how they have modified them. What last minute modifications would i have to make before the snow starts?

I have a completely stock RTR Yeti with no modifications.
Ghost Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How would a Yeti survive in the snow?

With waterproof electronics and receiver box, you should be fine. However, with water comes..

Rust on screws, bearings, and various metal parts. Water can also get into diff housings and break down grease. It's not to discourage running in snow, just be aware that those things can occur. I run several RC's in the snow, it's a blast and easy to make ramps for jumps.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOOsE View Post
With waterproof electronics and receiver box, you should be fine. However, with water comes..

Rust on screws, bearings, and various metal parts. Water can also get into diff housings and break down grease. It's not to discourage running in snow, just be aware that those things can occur. I run several RC's in the snow, it's a blast and easy to make ramps for jumps.
Thanks! Does anyone know of a way to mitigate the rust on screws? Can I cover them with petroleum jelly or some other substance?

Regardless, i have noticed that most of the screws have already started to rust from general use so it is not that big of a deal.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use CorrosionX on all my non-stainless hardware and it has stayed mostly rust-free in our tropical (aka always wet) conditions. It might be too late for you to track some down but any oil or grease should provide enough protection from the snow. Once your run is over get it dried off as soon as you can and use compressed air or a shop-vac to get the water off. I'd also recommend getting a a stainless screw kit then you'll have fewer parts to rust. Team KNK sells full kits for about $20.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I use CorrosionX on all my non-stainless hardware and it has stayed mostly rust-free in our tropical (aka always wet) conditions. It might be too late for you to track some down but any oil or grease should provide enough protection from the snow. Once your run is over get it dried off as soon as you can and use compressed air or a shop-vac to get the water off. I'd also recommend getting a a stainless screw kit then you'll have fewer parts to rust. Team KNK sells full kits for about $20.

CorrosionX!!!! I second mikebecher. I'm an avid saltwater fisherman and have a camp on the gulf coast of Louisiana. As everyone knows saltwater is evil on electronics and metal. Been using CorrosionX for over 10 years and has saved me $1000's. Started using it on my RC's and it has worked great. I spray straight on where I can or use a Q-tip. Not a single bit of rust on any of my RC's. Also great for bearings. I use it on my CC Connectors for ease of plugging and Unplugging.
Trifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebecher View Post
I'm planning on cleaning it off outside in my garage... hopefully this will prevent the snow from melting off too quickly. Did anyone have any trouble with batteries/connectors getting wet? Axial noted that the motor wasn't waterproof, due to openings for heat, and that this might also be a problem...
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  63.6 KB
Old 01-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

However, y'all are crazy running in the snow! I'm freezing and its 50° in Baton Rouge today. Haha... This southern man hates the cold!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Stock yeti xl is supposed to be all waterproof so you should be good on the motor. BUT, you need to disconnect the fan on the esc, that is not waterproof.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Koi View Post
Thanks! Does anyone know of a way to mitigate the rust on screws? Can I cover them with petroleum jelly or some other substance?

Regardless, i have noticed that most of the screws have already started to rust from general use so it is not that big of a deal.
either buy stainless screw kit or live with the rust... jelly will make the heads slippery and strip and also attract rocks inside of the screwheads.. you'll end up cleaning the heads out with a tooth pick and then attempt a greasy bolt...no good...
ONLY USE GREASE SPAININGLY !!! THEY WILL DISTROY BEARINGS AND JOINTS FROM ATTRACTING DIRT....!!!!
TRUST ME IVE PAIED...
I figured sense I was driving in the snow that grease would be key but its more of a magnet than anything and so fn messy...

I've made a front and rear cover outa black duck tape that keeps my internals almost totally free of snow... my first runs had so much snow packed in it I could of built a yeti xl snowman... I also studded my tires ..screws sticking out with tape over the heads and to keep the tires from ballooning (works Awesome) for the back... the front I was lazy and just went through the outside with no tape...Ive got a vid on youtube YETI XL 6S snowbashn in slow mo you can defiantly tell the difference ! the front look like pancakes ....
I as
l also rtv sealed my batteries and taped my battery door...
I used my castle link and cranked up my motor timing sense its cold out... 13.... im not recommending it tho because I don't know the consequences...next data log and ill compare motor temps

most importantly tape the vent holes on your rims and flip the xl on its hood and let it dry off upsidedown !!! of your servo will soak up the water !! have fun ooo and I used #6x1/2 only added one oz to each tire...

o and I tape my balancer every time but so far tape on the outside keeps them dry

http://youtu.be/q9KgP-3lq98[/URL]

Last edited by THX_138; 01-22-2016 at 07:06 PM.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

A little more detail and clarification. The CorrosionX in the Red aerosol can is not a jelly type grease. Its very thin and is more a lubricant/ protectant that will pretty much "dry" after a few hours of application. That's why I like it so much b/c it works great and does not attract dirt and debris. I use it pretty much for post bashing. but will use it on connectors and screws, ect... A few hours b/f bashing if I know it's going to be a wet one. I Use a q-tip to apply the CorrosionX sparingly. After running in water or whatnot, I'll clean the YXL well and then apply the corrosionX on everything that needs it. It does do great on bearings and maintains them well but I do not apply it b/f running my RC... Just use it for maintenance. Barharbor is right about jelly type grease as it will attract dirt/debris, which can lead to carnage.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifish View Post
A little more detail and clarification. The CorrosionX in the Red aerosol can is not a jelly type grease. Its very thin and is more a lubricant/ protectant that will pretty much "dry" after a few hours of application. That's why I like it so much b/c it works great and does not attract dirt and debris. I use it pretty much for post bashing. but will use it on connectors and screws, ect... A few hours b/f bashing if I know it's going to be a wet one. I Use a q-tip to apply the CorrosionX sparingly. After running in water or whatnot, I'll clean the YXL well and then apply the corrosionX on everything that needs it. It does do great on bearings and maintains them well but I do not apply it b/f running my RC... Just use it for maintenance. Barharbor is right about jelly type grease as it will attract dirt/debris, which can lead to carnage.
I'll definitely avoid the jelly then.

Should I really disconnect the Yeti's fan? Is there anything else I should disconnect/cover up? I have some balloons that can be used as well as other materials.

Am I the only one considering taking their Yeti XL RTR out in the snow without modifying it? Do a lot of people do it? I'm a little nervous...
Old 01-22-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Am I the only one considering taking their Yeti XL RTR out in the snow without modifying it? Do a lot of people do it? I'm a little nervous... [/QUOTE]

Don't be nervous my man, you can't do anything that can't be fixed... Go have some fun.
Plug her up and let'er eat!!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #14

I bashed mine today in the 3"-4" of snow we got. I put it in the tub and used the wife's hair dryer to thaw it out and dry it.
I will probably go thru the bearings and tear down the diffs soon too, but it ran like a beast. Total blast, and I will likely do it again tomorrow.

And for the record, I bought it used off ebay a week ago and all I did to go out and flog it was charge up the lipos and plug them in.

Last edited by mrtucker80; 01-22-2016 at 09:37 PM.
mrtucker80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #15

i live in canada, so snow is a way of life ;)

i use marine grease on all my gears on all my trucks and dont have rust on them (even use it in some bearings like in the scx10's), even the scx10 witch goes into water on most of the runs. as for screws like others said, CorrosionX works, i personally use JIG-A-LOO to help prevent rust on screws, also removes it perty good.

the YXL is perty good at hiding the bearings from the snow, so far, ive had no problems with bearings(due to snow), but i do oils them often to make sure they run good. ive been out maybe 15-25 times in the snow so far, and plan on taking it apart for a maintenance in a week or so for a check up. i only run 4s, also been using 40 series trenchers X, turns like crap, but floats a bit better on snow.

one thing i will suggest like others, make yourself a cover for inside, the snow will weight down the truck allot, i need to get better springs, with the snow the front just sags like crazy, i am trying to make myself some fenders or some way to prevent the snow to get inside the truck.
Patramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:20 AM   #16

Ive seen templates for a 10th scale Yeti crud blocker. Anyone here have one for the XL already?
tehugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I wonder if packing all the bearings with grease will make them last longer for the winter. It's what I've done on salwater reels. Not sure how it holds up for high speed applications though.

Corrosion X is good stuff. TSI301 is also really good for bearings.
Mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:29 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudman View Post
I wonder if packing all the bearings with grease will make them last longer for the winter. It's what I've done on salwater reels. Not sure how it holds up for high speed applications though.

Corrosion X is good stuff. TSI301 is also really good for bearings.
try dropping the reel in the beach sand then see how it dose..
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #19
McD
Rock Stacker

I'm a little bummed that we didn't get the tons of snow like the east coast, just for running the yeti xl. Last year we had some good drifts and about a foot and a half on the level. I ran it a lot and was even able to pull a snow sled with my 50lb 4yr old up and down the street at a good clip on 4S.

I filled my diffs with marine grease, and using 500k diff fluid worked great last year. I didn't have an issue until it got hot out and all the debris from running on the dirt.

I searched and haven't found anyone who makes a chassis cover, but looking at getting a universal dusty's cover. Friend has one and it seems to do really good during the summer. My solution works pretty good during the winter but would fry the electronics in the summer. I used a red shop rag and zip tied one end around the front behind the front housing and zip tied the back end to the rear cage while stretching the center and adding another underneath.
Here is a pic with it on

And here's what is inside when the zip ties are cut.

I would blow all the excess snow off with compressed air and then prop it up either upside down or straight on its back wheels to dry. And spray some water repellent on the exposed bearings

Now just waiting for more snow :-)
McD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone for all of the help! To answer my own question (how would a yeti survive in the snow?)... like a REAL YETI would!

I took it out yesterday (no modifications or adjustments) and today with no problems. When I was finished I cleaned it up outside and then set it up in front of the fire and let it dry for a few hours. One tip though, when you let it dry out, I found it helpful to stuff the "electronics" area / body with paper towels. That way any of the melting snow would be absorbed by the towels and not by the electronics!

Here are some pics!

After...

Tags
snow bashing, yeti xl

How would a Yeti survive in the snow? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone ever tried snow/sand tracks on their Yeti? 8000ft Axial Yeti 16 10-30-2015 07:34 AM
Video - Yeti and Yeti XL - Snow Bashing! BENDER Videos! 1 03-02-2015 12:11 PM
The Yeti Snow Machine.. F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. Chit Chat 5 12-06-2010 04:45 PM
Yeti Snow Truck........ Unimoger Chit Chat 8 07-12-2007 01:33 AM