Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Anyone running HR piggyback shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Default Anyone running HR piggyback shocks?

So I took the Yeti XL to an 1/8th scale outdoor track. Probably not the best idea since I have an aluminum body, but surprisingly I ran for 30 minutes without a single flip or rollover. I even cleared a triple a few times which was awesome to see this rig do that.

My run came to an end when I landed hard on the nose and one of the front shocks came off of the shock tower. The small plastic "cup" (ax31031) that holds the pivot ball on the shock cap had broken causing the shock to slide off of the screw holding it to the shock tower.

Does anyone have an alternate way to mount the front shocks securely without using this little plastic part? It seems ridiculous that this little plastic lip is the only thing holding the front shock to the shock tower.

I was thinking maybe I could try to find a screw with a much larger head to keep the shock from coming off?
daveflave1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Anyone running HR piggyback shocks?

I haven't seen anyone using a different spacer. I use the plastic and have ripped the shock tower out of the Dhawlk bulkhead on a really hard landing. The shock cups didn't break though.

Try a longer screw with a nut to keep the screw from working it's way out. You want it to be tight, but not so tight it deforms the ball (heh). Replacing the stock plastic balls with metal are a good idea. A small washer can be added to make sure it holds.

Also, the spacer is designed to hold the ball in one way. It'll fall out the other way. I put the shock on once with incorrect orientation. I like an idiot because I spent way too much time trying to find a solution before realizing the shock just need a 180 turn.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

I used a washer like below. Worked like a charm

SeanKewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanKewley View Post
I used a washer like below. Worked like a charm

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

It's not that I have it built incorrectly, it's that it seems like such a weak little part to have the responsibility of holding the shock to the front tower. I thought maybe I was missing a couple of parts from HR.
daveflave1275 is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone running HR piggyback shocks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Made Piggyback shocks vs. RC4WD King shocks crwlnCreeper Axial Wraith 33 01-20-2016 09:48 AM
piggyback shocks? NeXt559 General Crawlers 1 11-10-2008 10:40 PM
piggyback shocks dan666 Newbie General 2 08-25-2008 05:13 PM