Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: GPM steering bellcrank WAY under-sprung?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #1

Default GPM steering bellcrank WAY under-sprung?

Hi all

Originally I bought the HR steering bellcrank and found it to be quite nice except for the fact that it seemed to be binding right out of the package. The servo saver part of the HR bellcrank need some sanding/smoothing to operate well, so I just went back to the stock bellcrank with a gpm aluminum "steering mount".

The stock bellcrank+GPM "steering mount" is actually pretty decent although it is a little under-sprung and doesn't quite return to center everytime because of it. So I ordered the GPM steering assembly to try.

I just got back from my 1st run with a GPM aluminum steering bellcrank installed and found it to be SIGNIFICANTLY worse than the stock unit. It is hilariously under-sprung and not effective at turning the tires at all.

A couple of questions to you guys:
It is just my unit or have you found the same thing?
Any mods?
Is the Dhawk steering assembly any different or better?
daveflave1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: GPM steering bellcrank WAY under-sprung?

You can add a shim under the spring to un- under-sprung

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I personally think it should have a adjustable collar ... But... I didn't notice any serious issue.. I have noticed the play up and down on the post and eliminated that with a shim.. I did shim the inside of the stock servo saver but didn't find a need to with the GPM.. Is your front clip installed properly ? They can be a pain in the ass with out the Basher bar lol
Dose the S.S compress easily ?
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

The Spring included in the gpm unit is way to soft, when you replace it with the heavier stock Spring you will notice a huge improvement from stock.
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #5

Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Tzicul - Any suggestion on shim size? If youve done this which part # did you use? I should probably order some to tune the steering.

BHB - Yeah I hear you about reassembly, it's awkward at best. There is no vertical play of the steering assembly and I'm positive its in there properly. I noticed the spring in the GPM steering assembly was compressing pretty easily when I installed it, but I didn't compare to the stock spring so I figured it would be fine. BOY WAS I WRONG.

Sjonnie82 - Thanks, I was hoping someone had tried this! I wasn't sure the stock spring would fit in the GPM unit, but I will try this before buying the DHawk unit.

Has any one noticed binding in the servo saver portion of their HR Steering assembly? Honestly this seems like the superior unit (mine has NO slop) but the binding makes me worry about stripping the gears in my $180 servo if I were to take a hit. I'm thinking of slightly sanding and greasing it.

Last edited by daveflave1275; 07-21-2016 at 02:19 PM.
daveflave1275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I used a regular wide shim, not rc type. I believe it was a 8 or 10mm inside with about 2mm thick, but I had to ground it on the outside, because it was too wide

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I use dry graphite dust for lubrication.. its cheep and doesn't attract dust and rocks like grease ...

Possibly try polishing it with a dremel .. or use hand polishing compound before sanding it unless you have 1500 or 2000 grit available. Or 600 wet sanding. I think it would be beneficial leaving the crisp edges because the defer pebbles ..
Hopefully this helps

Has any one noticed binding in the servo saver portion of their HR Steering assembly? Honestly this seems like the superior unit (mine has NO slop) but the binding makes me worry about stripping the gears in my $180 servo if I were to take a hit. I'm thinking of slightly sanding and greasing it.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveflave1275 View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick replies everyone!

Tzicul - Any suggestion on shim size? If youve done this which part # did you use? I should probably order some to tune the steering.

BHB - Yeah I hear you about reassembly, it's awkward at best. There is no vertical play of the steering assembly and I'm positive its in there properly. I noticed the spring in the GPM steering assembly was compressing pretty easily when I installed it, but I didn't compare to the stock spring so I figured it would be fine. BOY WAS I WRONG.

Sjonnie82 - Thanks, I was hoping someone had tried this! I wasn't sure the stock spring would fit in the GPM unit, but I will try this before buying the DHawk unit.

Has any one noticed binding in the servo saver portion of their HR Steering assembly? Honestly this seems like the superior unit (mine has NO slop) but the binding makes me worry about stripping the gears in my $180 servo if I were to take a hit. I'm thinking of slightly sanding and greasing it.
The Dhawk unit is actually a gpm , so that would be a waste of money...
Old 07-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 View Post
The Dhawk unit is actually a gpm , so that would be a waste of money...
Actually.... I noticed I have a Dhawk.. I got it second hand on a used rig...Works great.. I actually haven't my GPM bellcrank yet..
BTW Dhawk and GPM Have no affiliation with each other .. I was shocked to find that as well because that's the misconception..

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 07-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I am not saying that they are connected, but Dhawk sells also "rebranded" gpm parts....
Old 07-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I think he's a private wholesaler for them and offers them through his services..

GPM steering bellcrank WAY under-sprung? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Steering Bellcrank vs. GPM dempy Tamiya XC/CC01 15 03-07-2016 05:26 AM
Dhawk Steering Bellcrank Duramarks Axial Yeti XL 14 11-21-2015 02:17 PM
steering bellcrank? demonoid369 General Scale Talk 1 05-16-2011 10:21 AM