Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Yeti XL Upgrades Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #1

Default Yeti XL Upgrades Discussion

Hello all.

I have had my Yeti XL for around 2 months now and really enjoy it.
So now I've decided to upgrade it a lot.

I want your opinions, suggestions on what upgrades I should do.
If possible could you link me the items on eBay or anywhere else.

I am from England, UK so I preferably want all new items from the UK for quicker delivery.

So far I want these - Pro Line PL1184-13 - ProLine Trencher 3.8 Tyres Mounted on Black F-11 Offset 17mm Hex Wheels
I want to upgrade a lot more on the car.

Like always thanks for ideas, helping. ;)
Ashley S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Yeti XL Upgrades Discussion

Getting parts in Europe is difficult, and limiting it to the UK only will make your life even harder (but that's a problem you have to deal with after Brexit is finalized, all import will become more expensive for you unfortunately).

I haven't found any good places to order upgrade parts, so I ordered a bunch of items through the German Amazon website. It is still shipped out of Hong Kong, but I'm hoping import costs are eliminated as the order is done through the EU. My latest order from Hong Kong worked out fine that way, no extra costs involved. Only downside is the month-or-so of shipping time.

Parts I have upgraded so far, in the aluminum range:
  • Steering mount
  • Front body post mount
  • Rear upper and lower links
  • Steel drive shaft

There are plenty of other parts I want to upgrade in the future, such as the bulkhead, steering rack, spur gear adapter, and perhaps the highest on my list is Deuce Wild Foam. But this one is impossible to find outside of the US.
SvdV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If you guys are interested in one of my bodies I pay 10$ towards international shipping since I offer free shipping in the USA.
Enjoy your XL's
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

I am fairly new to the hobby, been in it for a little over a year and I just got my YXL in June. But, I would suggest searching some of these other threads, there is a wealth of info here about upgrades. I can't tell you how much I've learned just reading through every page I can about the YXL. Some of these guys know their rc's and it's incredibly useful to be able to read their thoughts. I took the advice of many here and purchased an aluminum steering bell crank, I put in a Hitec 7954sh with a cc-bec at 7.4v, purchased the axial metal turnbuckle set, an axial aluminum servo horn, and the little rod that attaches the servo horn to the steering bell crank I made myself out of some aluminum tubing I had and some Revo ends.

Next, I purchased the HR diff locker and a titanium drill bit which I cut the end off to use in it instead of the stock pin which I read would easily break if I locked the rear. The drill bit worked swimmingly. . I put the HR aluminum diff case in the rear as well to further strengthen it up for the rear locker. I also put 500k diff oil in the front diff, and 30wt Shock oil in all 4 corners.

I did more reading and found that many were saying an aluminum front bulkhead was critical so I have that on the way as I type as well as another HR aluminum diff case for the front...also am waiting for some different springs, AND I have the HR front clip on the way, as well as some aluminum steering knuckles and carriers. RPM control arms will be arriving with all of this today as well as they are supposed to eliminate .004" of slop I think, plus I broke my front left arm, which i believe is a very common break. Although I did repair it with some plastic bonder.

Some of this is personal preference, and some of it is very important according to what I've read here. Long post I know, just thought I would share with you what I have chosen to purchase as upgrades, and how I came to those decisions. Mostly from reading endless YXL threads.

Good luck!!!
Chruck-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
If you guys are interested in one of my bodies I pay 10$ towards international shipping since I offer free shipping in the USA.
Enjoy your XL's
The thing with shipments from the US is that all sorts of charges are placed on top of it, at least where I live. A $75 item with $10 shipment will turn into roughly $120 of total costs. That's 50% of the original asking price on top.

Extra charge comes from clearance, border administration, local tax (21%), and if you're unlucky the warehousing cost because our customs can't handle the load (thus also delaying the delivery). Ordering from within the EU makes a big difference.

On a more on-topic note, those panels look really good, and they are on my list of potential upgrades.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Man that is crazy even if it is marked as a gift with a low value?
Thanks for the kind words
Old 08-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvdV View Post
Getting parts in Europe is difficult, and limiting it to the UK only will make your life even harder (but that's a problem you have to deal with after Brexit is finalized, all import will become more expensive for you unfortunately).

I haven't found any good places to order upgrade parts, so I ordered a bunch of items through the German Amazon website. It is still shipped out of Hong Kong, but I'm hoping import costs are eliminated as the order is done through the EU. My latest order from Hong Kong worked out fine that way, no extra costs involved. Only downside is the month-or-so of shipping time.

Parts I have upgraded so far, in the aluminum range:
  • Steering mount
  • Front body post mount
  • Rear upper and lower links
  • Steel drive shaft

There are plenty of other parts I want to upgrade in the future, such as the bulkhead, steering rack, spur gear adapter, and perhaps the highest on my list is Deuce Wild Foam. But this one is impossible to find outside of the US.
Hi, i have ordered a few times now with nz-rc.com a Dutch shop who carries gpm and rc4wd for example maybe you can have a look there? He also carries tgn where you can order barndog panels also.
Maybe an option for You!

You can always send me a pm or so, or add my Facebook.
Sjonnie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie82 View Post
Hi, i have ordered a few times now with nz-rc.com a Dutch shop who carries gpm and rc4wd for example maybe you can have a look there? He also carries tgn where you can order barndog panels also.
Maybe an option for You!

You can always send me a pm or so, or add my Facebook.
Thanks for the tip! I visited the site and was all enthusiastic, only to find a message saying they closed the shop. The only decent shop I know of is PK Racing. I'll send you a message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
Man that is crazy even if it is marked as a gift with a low value?
Unfortunately, yes. The gift marking worked for a while, until all packages were marked that way
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 AM   #9

Unfortunately if you receive anything from the states over $20 in value you get screwed. You get a customs charge, then the post office slap a £8 handling charge, so unless you are desperate its not worth it. However, I regularly order from AsiaTee's and RCMart and have had nothing but great service and so far I don't think I've had a customs charge unless it goes to my work address. I order stuff and it usually takes 5 - 7 days to turn up.

Get over the "I must buy Europe" and embrace "The world!" most of the bits you just cant get in the UK......
Burn999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #10

Whatup!

Just want to say that I have ordered an Axial Yeti XL. Finally! I wanted one since it came out. Just never pulled the trigger. Until now. Couldn't pass up another great deal.

Well, I'm all new to this forum but not new to building, nodding and bashing. I truly look forward to reading this thread.

I'm super excited to be part of this community and Yeti XL FamBam.

In the mean time. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm starting with the kit version. I will install a MAX8 combo and use either a Spektrum or Futaba RX/TX. Servo still deciding Hitec or Savox.
RCWERKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the fun.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvdV View Post
The thing with shipments from the US is that all sorts of charges are placed on top of it, at least where I live. A $75 item with $10 shipment will turn into roughly $120 of total costs. That's 50% of the original asking price on top.

Extra charge comes from clearance, border administration, local tax (21%), and if you're unlucky the warehousing cost because our customs can't handle the load (thus also delaying the delivery). Ordering from within the EU makes a big difference.

On a more on-topic note, those panels look really good, and they are on my list of potential upgrades.
Probably not this simple but can,t you make say 1,PayPal Payment for "Design Fees" to Barndog and the last one be like $5 so you don't get hit with all the BS taxes etc. His panels are that good I'd do whatever BS story you had too.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Update on my latest orders. Two of them were from the US, one from Hong Kong. Strangely enough, all were received within a week and without extra costs. It appears that packages small enough for a letterbox are not checked. The other package was signed as a manufacturers guarantee item, making the value of the purchase $0. Maybe sellers here can use this info.

Then again, if the package is random checked, it might result in the sender getting a fine.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I normally mark as a gift and 10$ value but I can do less.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Welcome to the fun.
Thank you Steve!

Thanks for the recommendation.....

I look forward to tons of info from you guys.
RCWERKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #16

All I have on my list so far is Axial Sway Bar should I be looking at anything else to buy from - RC Cars and Remote Controlled Cars, Drones, Planes and Helis ?
Ashley S is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti XL Upgrades Discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti comparison to Vaterra Twin Hammers discussion badger Axial Yeti 44 07-04-2015 05:03 AM