Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: What a world of difference!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Default What a world of difference!

Recently, I purchased a few YXL parts for my birthday. Got em installed and finally was able to test it out this morning before it got too hot...its 100f here now.....

I picked up the HR front gearbox, HR steering knuckles and HR carriers, a second HR diff case, RPM, control arms, HR progressive spring set, HR 17mm hex adapters, and the HR front clip. I must say, the chruck handled so much better! I put the black springs up front with 30wt oil and chrome in back with 30wt oil as well. In the rear diff I have the HR aluminum diff case with the HR locker and in the front, I have another aluminum diff case with 500k diff oil. SO MUCH FUN! This thing is truly a beast now! It can actually handle some light crawling which in this monster is quite fun, as well as some great speed on 4s. I haven't had the stones to run 6s. I just want this thing to last. Also, with the rear end locked, and 500k oil in front, I did notice a slightly wider turning radius, but, with a little practice it can be surprisingly nimble.

The new springs make the most noticeable difference of course, now it can get interesting trying different oil weights. If you are new like me, and are looking for some new upgrades, I highly recommend the ones I listed.
Chruck-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What a world of difference!

That's it. I'm trying the HR locker in the rear. Will it fit in the stock diff cup? Is the HR diff cup (case) required?

Glad to read about someone having fun with their YXL. Give 6s a go. Find an open space with big jumps and no trees.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd personally stay away from the locker if you plan on bashing... they are more prevalent to cause blown out sun gears, shearing off dog bones or exploding outputs... I used them wile I was testing out the HD gear mod... I'd recommend thick diff oil , silly putty or my wax mod....
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #4

Yea I so far am really enjoying the locker. Now, BHB would know better than me how it acts on 6s. And to be honest, from what I've read I would be hesitant to try it on 6s with the locker in. But on 4s, it's a BLAST. With the 500k oil in front and locker in rear, it really is almost unstoppable. It's THAT much better. If I go 6s tho I would probably just open up my rear diff again. No locker.

My main problem now, is that literally NOONE I know in person is into this hobby. So I either have to convince a friend to come along, and they always drive so timid. Try to explain to them, "if you break something, I just get to replace it with something better!!!" But to no avail. Dadburnit......judging by this forum, I am not the only man who is still a little kid inside.....
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #5

Oh and also a reminder, I didn't use the stock pin that comes in the diffs. I used a titanium, (read expensive) drill bit which fit PERFECTLY and I cut the end off to use because I read somewhere on this forum that the stock pin would break if used with the locker.

What a world of difference! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to the rock world old to the rc world Jeckel4438 Newbie General 0 05-24-2011 08:19 PM
What is the difference? biggin69 Axial SCX-10 5 03-17-2010 02:58 PM
So what really is the difference ? RazBarlow Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 06-04-2009 12:06 AM
difference? resetpunk Newbie General 1 02-10-2008 01:11 PM