Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Refreshing a used XL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Smile Refreshing a used XL

Waiting on the battery charger to arrive in the mail before I take it for its first run, what are some things I should look out for when I start using it? It's used so I don't expect it to be in top condition, is there any oil or lubricant I should replace? Any screws I should tighten? I could take it to the hobby shop but that's no fun... I want to learn how to maintain this beast on my own!

So far I don't see anything broken or bent, the links, suspension, chassis and other stuff seem OK. But some common advice regarding maintenance for the car would much appreciated.

Thanks
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Refreshing a used XL

Congrats on the new addition ! I'd check the rear axle pinion bearings for play. Check the pinion/spur mesh and blue Loctite the pinion stub screw for good measures. If you have the RTR good luck with the 8mm wheel nuts.. HR wheel hubs are a awesome upgrade ! If you have the kit version install a keeper screw into the plastic wheel to prevent the wheel nut from backing off. Wheel Nuts..... Solved
I wouldn't recommend grease on any exposed parts.. a dusting of dry lube of graphite dust is you're best bet... I'd look into a bearing kit as well..

Good Luck and if you ever have a issue someone will defiantly help
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Congrats on the new addition ! I'd check the rear axle pinion bearings for play. Check the pinion/spur mesh and blue Loctite the pinion stub screw for good measures. If you have the RTR good luck with the 8mm wheel nuts.. HR wheel hubs are a awesome upgrade ! If you have the kit version install a keeper screw into the plastic wheel to prevent the wheel nut from backing off. Wheel Nuts..... Solved
I wouldn't recommend grease on any exposed parts.. a dusting of dry lube of graphite dust is you're best bet... I'd look into a bearing kit as well..

Good Luck and if you ever have a issue someone will defiantly help
Thank you BHB, I'll be sure to do a thorough check for all the gears when I'm home from work today. I have an RTR but I got it for 400 USD with two 6500 2s lipos so it's a pretty good deal! I was already planning on doing some upgrades since the car was so cheap and the wheel hexes are top of my list! Which bearing kit would you recommend?

It's hard to decide which upgrades are critical for me at this stage, I'll be running it on pure desert sand so it's quite different from the landscape most people on this forum run their RCs on. Some people have complained that the BFG's are too soft whereas it's a good thing for me , more surface contact on sand means better traction (I think) haha. Anyway I'll need to do a proper assessment of the upgrades I need after a few runs, hopefully I won't break anything major
Old 10-23-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Try to contact the previous owner and find out if he changed the bearings. ALL of them! If not, you can buy a eddie bearing set. And a lot of 15x21x4 as spares.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Try to contact the previous owner and find out if he changed the bearings. ALL of them! If not, you can buy a eddie bearing set. And a lot of 15x21x4 as spares.

I bought it from him directly, he said he made no upgrades to it. Excuse my newbie question but what's a 15x21x4?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The bearings from the front and rear pinions. They fail at a formidable fast rate
DO NOT use the car before changing those AXA1243!!!!

Last edited by Tzicul; 10-23-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If your going to be dealing with a lot of sand look here.

Pinion Bearing Issues

I bash dirt only and this has saved me a lot of frustration and down time.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post

Pinion Bearing Issues

And it's probably one of the Best mods going!
Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post

Pinion Bearing Issues

I ran it for the first time today, what an amazing experience! It was so much fun, but I was driving it in a really dusty area. I think there's something wrong with it now... The rear wheels sometimes didn't spin, or didn't spin as fast as the front wheels. And every time I would hit the throttle I could hear a sound from the rear axle that sounds like metal spinning on stationary metal.. I have a feeling that the rear pinion is spinning and the rear spur is stuck or vice versa (In the axle).

Is this the problem you faced for the mod you're talking about?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdeez View Post
I ran it for the first time today, what an amazing experience! It was so much fun, but I was driving it in a really dusty area. I think there's something wrong with it now... The rear wheels sometimes didn't spin, or didn't spin as fast as the front wheels. And every time I would hit the throttle I could hear a sound from the rear axle that sounds like metal spinning on stationary metal.. I have a feeling that the rear pinion is spinning and the rear spur is stuck or vice versa (In the axle).

Is this the problem you faced for the mod you're talking about?
Hmm One run... Even the Poor quality bearings last longer than that .. Could be a HD pinion issue.... I've had one blow out after a couple runs... Sucks huh !! That's exactly why I do what I do !! It's so MUCH fun when its working !! Mines at the point where its down to routine maintenance.. I usually run a 4s then a 6s back to back with out the "Axial walk of Shame"
First look at the rear Axle housing .. look for play in the driveshaft where it inserts into the pinion.
If it looks ok check the wheel hex Set screw.. they often break on the RTR ...this will cause a lose wheel nut , Stripped wheel hexes OR MELTED wheels if the wheel nut holds on ..
also inspect wheel hexes..
that brings us to the screwshafts on the Rear transmission output and the front Central CVD output screwshaft...
Good luck and post pictures and questions if you get in a hardspot

Last edited by BarHarborBasher; 10-28-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
Hmm One run... Even the Poor quality bearings last longer than that .. Could be a HD pinion issue.... I've had one blow out after a couple runs... Sucks huh !! That's exactly why I do what I do !! It's so MUCH fun when its working !! Mines at the point where its down to routine maintenance.. I usually run a 4s then a 6s back to back with out the "Axial walk of Shame"
First look at the rear Axle housing .. look for play in the driveshaft where it inserts into the pinion.
If it looks ok check the wheel hex Set screw.. they often break on the RTR ...this will cause a lose wheel nut , Stripped wheel hexes OR MELTED wheels if the wheel nut holds on ..
also inspect wheel hexes..
that brings us to the screwshafts on the Rear transmission output and the front Central CVD output screwshaft...
Good luck and post pictures and questions if you get in a hardspot
Thanks BHB, I'm away from the house now but i was planning on taking it apart and looking to find the exact problem tomorrow. I'll post an update with photos and let you know what I find!

Your advice is always appreciated, and I'm looking forward to see the upgrades for sale on your website! I'll be one of your first customers
Old 10-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #12

Ok soooo.. I managed to strip the rear wheel hexes :(. I can't even properly access the rear axle now and plus I want to wash the wheels.

The front came off just fine with a bit of effort, but the rear are stuck. I'm buying the wheel hex conversion right now
Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've used my XL plenty. Track days, hill climbs, general bashing and have yet to experience the dreaded wheel hex stripping. Is this an RTR problem? Maybe it's because I retorque wheels every other run or so? I don't hold back when I use my XL but I spend a lot of time on cleanup and looking it over after a days use. Having a clean machine assists in the ability to keep it running tip top and making you feel not as bad about throwing money into the hobby. Just my $.02. Good luck with the machine.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Yep RTR issue... the 8mm wheel nut has caused many irritating experiences !!! At less the V1 nut had a nylon locknut....the v2 was much bigger yet NO nylon insert... worthless design...
The HR conversion is WAY BETTER....BUT the web lock isn't KEYED into the hex so it's not as great as it could be... So I'm making a one piece hex nut web lock... NO MORE STRIPPERS ! Coming soon!!
Old 10-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

Alright so after exhausting other options for getting the wheel hex off, I decided to go the risky route and dremel the circle around the hex in order to cut it and get if off (Nothing else I tried was working).. Managed to do it succesfully without injuring myself ( ), but I also messed up my wheel as the metal got really hot and some of the rim plastic underneath melted. I also cut some of the screw off by accident (The one connecting the wheel to the shaft).

Pics below:

The aftermath of my delicate dremel skills Part 1

The aftermath of my delicate dremel skills Part 2

Can I replace this screw? Or will I be replacing it anyway with the HR hex conversion?

I also looked into the rear axle, first look at the pics and let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Some plastic melted, including some around the bearing or pinion or whatever that protruding thing that spins is called.

Another shot below:

I tried manually spinning the rear driveshaft but it wouldn't move. Didn't wanna force it because I was scared of breaking something.

What do you guys think?

Thank you so much for helping my noob ass, really means alot!

Last edited by macdeez; 10-30-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:05 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Make another try with those pictures, we can't see anything
Old 10-30-2016, 05:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Make another try with those pictures, we can't see anything
Fixed it, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:54 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

If the plastic looks like that, most probably your pinion is already gone.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #19

Quote:
If the plastic looks like that, most probably your pinion is already gone.

I tried to separate the axle from the rest of the body in order to easily disassemble the axle and get inside but some of the screws are stripped... Why do they use such garbage screws and nuts??

Would you mind telling me which pinion I need to buy to replace this? Preferable something that will last.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you managed to encounter the rear pinion bearing problem in 1 run, that's a shame. Don't let it tarnish your idea of the Yeti. It's basically the most fun RC I've ever had. Those wheel nuts and hexes.... how did the rtr's ever get released like that. The hex upgrade should be done on those the second it comes out of the box. Maybe you can get the original purchaser to help you out with the warranty on some parts?

The screws and nuts are of fine quality. If you are using crappy tools they will strip the hardware real fast. This is always the case. Once you invest in some MIP tools or something similar you won't look back.

That "screw" that you cut is the rear axle. It looks like you might still be able to use it though. I would be looking to upgrade those axles to the kit version anyway. Maybe that what the Hot Racing hex upgrade does.

Best of luck

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 10-30-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote

Refreshing a used XL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
refreshing the cc-01 Dark Bishop Tamiya XC/CC01 3 04-27-2011 12:08 AM
For sale section not refreshing Moparguy Comments, Suggestions, and Help 6 02-14-2011 11:49 AM
Refreshing old batteries Dragon51 Electronics 6 12-15-2007 11:21 PM
Photobucket constantly refreshing TMXONR Chit Chat 0 08-13-2007 06:13 PM
Refreshing Hellcat Rikpal Tamiya Clod Buster 11 07-21-2006 07:46 AM