Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Transmisson broken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #1

Default Transmisson broken

Hi all
Well was out with the xl when it came to a grinding halt. Pulled apart the tranny case and one of the bearings had blown apart and has destroyed the 2 gears the 19 t and the 18 t . I was going to replace them with the factory ones until I saw the price. I have just seen a complete replacement set
gpm # sytl 038gbk on aisatees . Are these any good or is there anyting better out there. Look forward to your reply's
Cheers
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Transmisson broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial6768 View Post
Hi all
Well was out with the xl when it came to a grinding halt. Pulled apart the tranny case and one of the bearings had blown apart and has destroyed the 2 gears the 19 t and the 18 t . I was going to replace them with the factory ones until I saw the price. I have just seen a complete replacement set
gpm # sytl 038gbk on aisatees . Are these any good or is there anyting better out there. Look forward to your reply's
Cheers
Sorry to hear you trans let go. I read these are good replacements
Hot Racing YEX1000T Steel Center Gear Set Yeti XL | eBay
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Go to AVID and get some good bearings. I run their ceramics in the trans and motor. Still on original trans gears a year later. PLUS a good service schedule helps. I don't bash any mud or water and I pull the trans every 8-10 packs and clean and lube bearings and gears. Just noticed you are overseas so I guess get what you can as I don't know what you can get.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Have ended up ordering the GPM gear set and then added the GPM drive shalf and a 17t pinion as asiatees have a 10 % discount on all parts. Will be trying to track some bearings down here in NZ
Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial6768 View Post
Have ended up ordering the GPM gear set and then added the GPM drive shalf and a 17t pinion as asiatees have a 10 % discount on all parts. Will be trying to track some bearings down here in NZ
Nice score. Pretty sad when a .25c bearing Jacks your whole trans. Watch your temps on 17T. Much more TQ but if your running a 2200kv temps rise quick.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

I am hoping the temps will be ok as just did my own conversion to square drives to run XBE standard wheels smaller dia compared to standard xl wheels and a bit bigger than the truggy wheels.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM   #7

Just a bit of a update, my new transmission gears have just turned up so I replaced the pins to take out the play in the gears, on the bearing front have found an RC shop here in NZ who is the supplier of avid bearings so have placed an order for a full set of transmission bearings and bearings to do the 3rd bearing mod on the front and rear diff. My question by replacing the transmission bearings with quality bearings eliminate future problem's or do I need to look at a alloy transmission case. Cheers
Old 12-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

You don't need an alloy case just service the bearings and gears. I have over a years worth of bashing on my original gears and case. I pull the trans every 8 to 10 packs and clean and grease the bearings and gears and no problems. I have replaced bearings but nothing else from the original parts that came with my kit.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #9

Well finally have got the transmission back together I did notice that you don't over tighten the bolts holding the gear box case ( thanhs BHB ) Had my first decent run run, a full pack 20 min and no problems I now know why the XL is so much fun to drive. Its been a long road to sort out some of the problems and to be honest the XL nearly went into the bin but thanks to everyone on this forum with there ideas and mods I can enjoy the XL

Transmisson broken - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmisson question mark32 Axial SCX-10 2 02-09-2013 09:14 AM
transmisson help DEX South Carolina 6 09-09-2011 08:56 AM
Locked Transmisson? REDCORN Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 02-05-2009 04:07 PM