Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: RC4WD Rear Housing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: RC4WD Rear Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
That pinion cap is gonna save up headaches as well I did the same mod to my vanquish
I saw one of you guys do it here on the forum, it is a great place to get knew ideas, and share a few as well. Thanks to all of you
rcbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Pinion Bearing Issues

Think it was here
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

Yes it was ... Thank-you. I think that is one of the best mods I have seen, little effort or cash but great results.
rcbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Has anyone ran the axle with non-modded gears to see if it binds? I love the BHB mod as it fixed a huge issue but id love to have an axle that would mean I don't have to worry about modding a new set should the ones I have ever fail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Not here. My BHB gears have been perfect so I haven't needed to replace any for a long time.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I just installed the stock gears on my RC4WD axle, they fit, no play with 2 shims and dhawk aluminum spacer... will not know if they work till I run it, when ever that happens.... it's on the super slow build list.
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump_it View Post
I just installed the stock gears on my RC4WD axle, they fit, no play with 2 shims and dhawk aluminum spacer... will not know if they work till I run it, when ever that happens.... it's on the super slow build list.
You must be using the Straight cut gears ? I wonder how the HD gears fit/opperated ?
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Good question. I got the HD gears with my kit but I don't have the RC4WD axle.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #29
RCC Addict

I notified RC4WD about " IF " there's a problem a serface shim/meatering plate could be installed in-between the third member and the housing surface. I'm curious to hear a verdict.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
You must be using the Straight cut gears ? I wonder how the HD gears fit/opperated ?
Yeah straight cut gears, I did not realize they are shipping the YXL with spiral cut HD gears now, I have 2 sets of the straight cut gears, if I do not use them they will just end up sitting around,wish they had a trade in offer, like most here I had to fork over the cash for the spiral cut gears, which were released shortly after I purchased my kit .

I did not like the black, but will say they did a good job powder coating the axle, dunked mine in greased lightning over nite and still have spots to remove, if you dunk yours I would suggest not doing the half the has the pinion as the inside is powder coated to the specs of bearing fitment, removing that material could leave it a little sloppy in their Ive been removing the paint on outside of that part by hand

jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I reached out to RC4WD about their axle housing and the HD gears. Here was their response:
Quote:
So we haven't actually tested those items together yet. But what we can do now is;

- We can get them tested, which will require us to order them. So that would take 7-14 days, if you do not mind waiting.
- You can order our axles directly from us, test them and let us know if they fit or not. If they do not fit, you can always return them if they are kept in good condition and we can give you a full refund.

Let me know how you want to proceed.

Lam
RC4WD Support Team
I asked them to test the gears (I'll be out of town for awhile so I wouldn't be able to do it myself for a couple of weeks anyway). When I hear back about their results I'll post them here.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:13 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete9 View Post
I reached out to RC4WD about their axle housing and the HD gears. Here was their response:

I asked them to test the gears (I'll be out of town for awhile so I wouldn't be able to do it myself for a couple of weeks anyway). When I hear back about their results I'll post them here.

I contacted them multiple ways explaining the HD debacle letting them know if they made a shim that when in between the housing in the third member it would allow the proper mesh but it seems like I light my self on fire for a manufactors​ to listen to me so far Dhawk is the Only company that resolves issues... Goodluck with your endeavors...
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Yea unfortunately vanquish won't make a revised rear for the xl. I wonder why. Is it his love for crawlers? Or just thinks he won't sell many maybe. All I know is it was a nice peice. Ud think MIP would also be all over this thing like stink on shit but nooo. If it wasn't for hotracing or dhawk their wouldn't be much for it.
Dionisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure that there even is a problem with the RC4WD housing yet. The HD gears meshed just fine in my original axial housing with no shimming, and if the RC4WD one is similar enough, they might work fine with it too. We will see. Like I said, I'll update when I hear something back.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete9 View Post
I'm not sure that there even is a problem with the RC4WD housing yet. The HD gears meshed just fine in my original axial housing with no shimming, and if the RC4WD one is similar enough, they might work fine with it too. We will see. Like I said, I'll update when I hear something back.
That's simply amazing that they work "fine"
They'll​ be perfect then .... Pete from socal...Are you a insider lol
Old 03-31-2017, 12:22 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure what you mean BHB? I'm not trying to pick any kind of fight here.

I heard back from RC4WD. They said their warehouse tried the HD gear set and it fit well. When my budget allows (sooner rather than later) I'll pick up the axle housing and try the unmodded HD gears, see how they do.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Any feedback on the axle steve?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Except for the ton of small screws that hold the pinion assembly to the main housing it is bullet proof. I like it.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Except for the ton of small screws that hold the pinion assembly to the main housing it is bullet proof. I like it.
So I ordered the housing. I cant wait to get it and my Avid racing ceramic bearings for the pinion. What front bulkhead are you running? I would like to replace it while im in there rebuilding the front gears again. I will be putting in my modded HD gears. I really want to run 6S on this thing and not have to think about all the expensive parts I will be buying in the future.

This is a last, one time effort to resurrect this beast that has been collecting dust for the last 6 months. I love driving it, but it has been a money pit.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
Have you had any problems with them shearing off, stripping out, or breaking?

RC4WD Rear Housing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone not like the VP rear housing (non-currie) on yeti - and why? baggg Axial Yeti 6 07-20-2016 03:28 AM
Anyone not like the VP rear housing (non-currie) on wraith - and why? baggg Axial Yeti 0 07-15-2016 08:37 PM
Vanquish rear diff housing pro mod steve Axial Yeti XL 7 11-28-2015 12:25 PM
Need a rear axle housing pic. run2jeepn General Crawlers 0 12-25-2005 02:54 AM