Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Just bought XL and overwhelmed with gears and housings and spacers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #1

Default Just bought XL and overwhelmed with gears and housings and spacers

So I've been in this hobby since '87 and I don't think I've ever been as confused as what to purchase, make, etc. with any of the vehicles I've had before reading up on this buggy. I want to fix the issues with the diffs eating themselves and do it before it ever touches the ground with the cost of gears.

I received the kit and it has evidently been sitting for awhile because it has the straight cut gears. So I guess my questions are as follows:

BHB mod, dhawk spacers, dhawk or hot racing aluminum bulkhead or a combination of those parts?

If I buy a dhawk bulkhead, do I need V1 or V2 since I have straight cut gears? The auction on ebay states the V2 fits both types of gears, but I thought it was for the spiral gears from what I've read here.

If it helps, I'll be running on 4s for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by 83imp; 01-17-2017 at 11:26 AM.
83imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Just bought XL and overwhelmed with gears and housings and spacers

I would buy a bulkhead designed for the spiral cut gears (the V2) as the straight cut aren't as readily available anymore (possibly discontinued, can't remember) so I would suggest running the straight cut in the original plastic housings until they blow and then switching to the DHawk bulkhead with spiral cut gears in the future. The straight cuts may work in the V2 but I'm not sure on that. The only thing I did for my diff.s when I built them was install the dhawk spacer and I had great luck minus a bearing failure that chipped a few of the teeth on the front spiral gear. If you have the capability/tools to do the BHB mod then that'll go a long ways to keeping the rear end intact with spiral cut gears in the future.

I would replace the bearings ASAP as Axial bearings seem to blow out pretty frequently! It's a really fun truck but it does take some pampering before it'll let you abuse it! Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Does Axial send out the new gears if you bought a kit that had the old, straight gears?

If so, then contact them

If not, then Axial should step up their game

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If it helps, I'll be running on 4s for the foreseeable future.

Yeah we all said that at first.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

Does Axial send out the new gears if you bought a kit that had the old, straight gears?

If so, then contact them

If not, then Axial should step up their game

I read in another thread that it's a mixed bag. Probably depends on who answers the phone or email.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC
83imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Congrats on the new ride there is alot of great info here I started with one of the original kits and used Fast Eddy bearings and upgraded to the aluminum steering assembly.As far as gears and the BHB mod I never did any of that but I did only run on 4s too cheap to buy better batteries lol.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I wish I had thought about calling them! My kit came with the straight cut gears so I went and bought the HD pinons at Tower hobbies. After reading your post I decided to call axial and I just got off the phone with them and they are sending me two HD pinons!
tphjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You can use the straight cut pinion with no worry, IF you buy some decent bearings, shim it correctly and you'll use three bearings mod. I used them with no visible wear until one of the bearings broke down (I didn't use third bearing at that time). On the straight cut you won't need bhb's mod. Nevertheless, if Axial will agree to send the new pinion/s, take it/them
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barndog Racing View Post
Congrats on the new ride there is alot of great info here I started with one of the original kits and used Fast Eddy bearings and upgraded to the aluminum steering assembly.As far as gears and the BHB mod I never did any of that but I did only run on 4s too cheap to buy better batteries lol.
Are you using the HD gears ?
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

No it was one of the first kits that came out.
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I use the new gears with BHB mod, DHAWK spacer, and stock front bulkhead/housing on 6S with no issues. Was using stock rear housing with no issues but just swiched to the new RC4WD AL housing. IMO I don't feel an AL front bulkhead/housing is needed if set up right. I have had a DHAWK front bulkhead in my parts box for almost a year but have never needed it.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
I use the new gears with BHB mod, DHAWK spacer, and stock front bulkhead/housing on 6S with no issues. Was using stock rear housing with no issues but just swiched to the new RC4WD AL housing. IMO I don't feel an AL front bulkhead/housing is needed if set up right. I have had a DHAWK front bulkhead in my parts box for almost a year but have never needed it.
I feel the same way Steve ! I ran a plastic bulkhead for three months out of curiosity what kind of punishment it would withstand...Answer ....Everything that I threw at it
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Just bought XL and overwhelmed with gears and housings and spacers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking into a new r/c [sorry to ask I'm overwhelmed] B-Dub Newbie General 16 07-12-2014 09:55 PM
Looking at getting a new soldering iron and I'm overwhelmed 1tonscout Tools, and Procedures 39 09-07-2013 12:09 PM
removing spacers from worm gears? Interceptor Team Losi Comp Crawler 11 10-04-2011 02:50 PM
bought the wrong pinion gears........... bob1961 General Crawlers 0 12-15-2008 09:55 AM