Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Nothing To Replace The YXL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Nothing To Replace The YXL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I don't want to sell it because I don't think there's anything that can replace it. I don't see anything on the market that seems like it would [be] as fun to run and looks as cool as the YXL.

Is it still true there is nothing to replace the YXL?

I've wondered about this many times and even though I'm trying to like the YXL, it's difficult due to the significant engineering flaws - very frustrating because these are all totally avoidable issues resulting from sub-standard research, design, testing, and so forth (Axial probably has no clue Design Methodology even exists)

I will agree the "looks cool" value of the YXL is probably going to be hard to beat - although the aesthetic quality is highly subjective (unless we're talking about Elizabeth Hurly who is gorgeous by anyone's standard), some machines may make a good "runner up" in the "looks-good" category such as the Kyosho 1/8 FO-XX VE Brushless 4WD Basher --> this machine is easily found for $460 delivered in an RTR configuration but I know practically nothing about that truck

The chassis design of the YXL has some great characteristics for bashing and, I don't think it's really possible to achieve the performance that chassis design can deliver by simply taking a 1/8 racing platform (typically a flat plate chassis, 4WD, independent suspension) and "transforming it" to get better bashing results (of course, each chassis design has pros & cons)

And that's primarily why I was drawn to the YXL - the looks, the chassis design, and the anticipated performance of bashing this machine.

My questions:
  • Is the Kyosho 1/8 FO-XX VE a potential replacement for the YXL?
  • Are there really no other potential replacements for the YXL?

Thanks

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/assets/...4251_pc2_m.jpg
Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Nothing To Replace The YXL?

If you've worked out the "design flaws", what isn't there to love about the XL? Mine hasn't broken anything in the longest time. This thing has been great since the BHB mod other than it lost a transmission bearing requiring some work.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Flaws worked out here and I love mine. Haven't had a real 6S failure in a long time.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

How about a Brushless conversion Kraken Vekta5?

Muttly's Kraken Vekta.5 Brushless Version
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I've been with a local who runs his Yeti XL like a 5 year old who thinks tommorow is the Armageddon. Saying my mind was blown at his stock YXL's durability is putting things mildly. Amazingly tough trucks they are.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

These comments are making me highly motivated to finish my YXL kit

I have no excuses except . . . work, family, and . . . a guitar sickness that's incredibly difficult to control . . .
;)

Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I love my yeti xl. Such an awesome machine. Probably my favorite of all the rc's I've had.

I would love for them to release a bomber xl though. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
TOMS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

That's what I say why replace it when you can just add to it !!
By the way I build custom tailored bomber xl's and fully independent xl's with an option of high-quality parts from the get-go
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS97ZJ View Post
I love my yeti xl. Such an awesome machine. Probably my favorite of all the rc's I've had.

I would love for them to release a bomber xl though. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
I almost finished my Bomber also - it just needs radio binding, relocating the ESC, changing the ESC settings (Castle Link) - but I haven't plugged it into a battery yet

Last edited by Axial Rose; 02-01-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #10
RCC Addict

BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thanks a lot guys! (sarcasm)

Now you've got me revisiting the idea of 1/8 scale (or larger) trucks. Having swore off nitro years ago, not many of the larger scale rc's have spoken to me. Now the nearly unsupported Kyosho FO-XX VE is talking to me again... must fight the urge to listen! I've spent a good part of the day digging up old threads and videos about it.

BHB, your Bomber XL is friggin awesome! Much like my buddy's 1/5 scale gas cars, I bet that thing could take somebody out if it hit them!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #12
McD
Rock Stacker

The FO-XX is a bit small and not a 1/8th scale it's closer to the size of the wraith, my buddy bought one haven't seen it in person but from the pics it's smaller than I thought It'd be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
McD
Rock Stacker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I almost finished my Bomber also - it just needs radio binding, relocating the ESC, changing the ESC settings (Castle Link) - but I haven't plugged it into a battery yet
I just finished up my bomber the other day. It came out pretty nice. Haven't really brought it out yet with the recent snow but I'm sure the sidewinder 8th that is in it will tear ass.

Last edited by Lavaheadache; 02-01-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
RCC Addict

If we call it 1/8 scale, the foxx's 14.2" wheelbase and 15.1 track width would = 112.8" wheelbase (about the same as my slightly stretched 1:1 K5) and 10ft wide! I'm okay calling that 1/8 scale.

It's a bit of a stretch calling most crawlers/scalers 1/10 scale as most of them are right at 1/9, the Wraith is closer to a true 1/8 scaled up to 112wb and 89.6" track width. I'd say the Kyosho's drivetrain is more inline with 1/8 scale than that of the Wraith though.

Sure, it's not as big as the YXL, but, well, it's XL! Most other RC's the size of the YXL are either your typical monster truck, or 2 stroke powered machines. I think Axial Rose was right in saying that the fo-xx ve is probably the closest production RC available (as compared to the YXL.) That being said, I don't see the sense in buying the Kyosho (which has VERY little parts support) if you already have the YXL which seems to have solutions available, even if those solutions aren't cheap. You'll lose enough $$$ at resale that it seems to make more sense to just keep it.

Me on the other hand, I don't own either (and no longer have a Wraith) so I could start from a clean slate with a Fo-XX VE!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
If we call it 1/8 scale, the foxx's 14.2" wheelbase and 15.1 track width would = 112.8" wheelbase (about the same as my slightly stretched 1:1 K5) and 10ft wide! I'm okay calling that 1/8 scale.

It's a bit of a stretch calling most crawlers/scalers 1/10 scale as most of them are right at 1/9, the Wraith is closer to a true 1/8 scaled up to 112wb and 89.6" track width. I'd say the Kyosho's drivetrain is more inline with 1/8 scale than that of the Wraith though.

Sure, it's not as big as the YXL, but, well, it's XL! Most other RC's the size of the YXL are either your typical monster truck, or 2 stroke powered machines. I think Axial Rose was right in saying that the fo-xx ve is probably the closest production RC available (as compared to the YXL.) That being said, I don't see the sense in buying the Kyosho (which has VERY little parts support) if you already have the YXL which seems to have solutions available, even if those solutions aren't cheap. You'll lose enough $$$ at resale that it seems to make more sense to just keep it.

Me on the other hand, I don't own either (and no longer have a Wraith) so I could start from a clean slate with a Fo-XX VE!
In any scale the IFS/Solid Axle or Solid F/R is extremely limited.

Want a IFS-IRS Rock Racer then any Tekno, Arrma, Losi 1/8 Buggy or Truggy will do with say a Castle Sensored system, TA SC8 Cage with custom Barndog panels, cut down Yeti XL body, Locked or heavy weight diff oil F/R Diffs, 2.2's etc. Endless with some creativity. I mean look at BHB aka Mad RC Scientist creating his Franken cars.
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post

Is it still true there is nothing to replace the YXL?

I've wondered about this many times and even though I'm trying to like the YXL, it's difficult due to the significant engineering flaws - very frustrating because these are all totally avoidable issues resulting from sub-standard research, design, testing, and so forth (Axial probably has no clue Design Methodology even exists)

I will agree the "looks cool" value of the YXL is probably going to be hard to beat - although the aesthetic quality is highly subjective (unless we're talking about Elizabeth Hurly who is gorgeous by anyone's standard), some machines may make a good "runner up" in the "looks-good" category such as the Kyosho 1/8 FO-XX VE Brushless 4WD Basher --> this machine is easily found for $460 delivered in an RTR configuration but I know practically nothing about that truck

The chassis design of the YXL has some great characteristics for bashing and, I don't think it's really possible to achieve the performance that chassis design can deliver by simply taking a 1/8 racing platform (typically a flat plate chassis, 4WD, independent suspension) and "transforming it" to get better bashing results (of course, each chassis design has pros & cons)

And that's primarily why I was drawn to the YXL - the looks, the chassis design, and the anticipated performance of bashing this machine.

My questions:
  • Is the Kyosho 1/8 FO-XX VE a potential replacement for the YXL?
  • Are there really no other potential replacements for the YXL?

Thanks

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/assets/...4251_pc2_m.jpg
Actually the FO-XX is one of the oldest platform out there, it's just another Mad Force, with different wheels and a new body. I own one since 2008 and it's heavily modified, elongated by 15cm and widen by 5cm, it's almost as big as YXL. And don't worry, you can still find parts for it. Of course it has its flaws, like dogbones style driveshafts, but hey, that's the beauty - moding the hell out of it

Original vs new chassis side plates

Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Nothing To Replace The YXL?

These are great responses - thanks everyone

As I probably mentioned earlier, I'm very motivated to finish the YXL and I'm probably going to be first in line when Axial releases the Bomber XL

Not like an RR10 XL will ever happen but . . . we can all dream, right? (ha)

Old 02-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
How about a Brushless conversion Kraken Vekta5?

Muttly's Kraken Vekta.5 Brushless Version
Such a badass build, but also a let down having no running video.

If I was to 'replace' the XL, a brushless V.5 would be it.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

If I had to chose a replacement for the YXL I would talk to Losi get them to scale up the Losi Rock Rey, this thing in 10th scale looks promissing, and is on my fast to purchase list... even in 8th scale I could consider this as a replacement for the YXL.... so go email team Losi and tell themm what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_hLVehOIo
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Nothing To Replace The YXL? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YXL people near me Kx450 Oregon 15 12-07-2016 04:45 PM
YXL Needs Votes Trifish Axial Yeti XL 2 03-28-2016 11:55 AM
YXL Tribulation tonyfalkon Axial Yeti XL 28 04-17-2015 01:43 PM