Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Occassional Yeti...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 05:43 AM   #1

Default Occassional Yeti...

I fancy a Yeti XL but I'm only an occasional driver so proposing to use NiMh batteries - simply because I know I'll not give Lipo the attention they require to maintain. Any reason why NiMh would be an absolute no go for the Yeti XL?

Also... showing my naivity... Any reason why I shouldn't be able to use the RC handset from my Vaterra Ascender or Traxxas Slash to control the Yeti? I'm proposing to go the kit route so trying to get a handle on the cost of the electrics.

Thanks
themissingelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Occassional Yeti...

Nimh will never give you the amount of power and amps you need to move this very heavy beast. You can use any type of 2 channel Tx/rx.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hi elf. I'd really recommend lipos as well. They really aren't particularly difficult to maintain. As long as you have a decent balance charger they will last a long time too.

For your transmitter, the only thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a compatible receiver - you can pull the rx from your other car or get a new one. If you want to be able to run the 2 speed transmission (hot racing and dhawk both offer one) it might be worth investing in a good 3 or 4 channel transmitter.
Pete9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Thanks for you replies. Maybe I should go with the 1/10th scale Yeti.

I hear what you're saying about Lipo but I'm invested in NiNH in terms of existing batteries and charger etc and quite happy with it in terms of power and duration for my existing cars.
themissingelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Consider LiFePO4 (AKA LiFe) batteries. They offer much (but not all) of the performance of LiPo without the need to be cycled often or possibility of explosion.
skeeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Occassional Yeti... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log TomFrajer Axial Yeti 320 05-22-2017 09:01 PM
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM