Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Guess its time for some new wheels...(take 2)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Guess its time for some new wheels...(take 2)

Lets see if the pics worked this time...

Looks like on my second trip out I managed to strip the back of the wheel where it attaches to the axle. It seems like this is a common problem so what is a good solution? Hot Racing make some good parts for this? Hopefully the pictures came through so you can see what I am working with. Got the XL off eBay and it was the kit version so I think it is totally stock?

What about some good wheels? I searched on here and it seems like all the ones I like are either not sold anymore or I have to modify them.
Attached Images

Drink-U-Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Default Re: Guess its time for some new wheels...(take 2)

I see a good few going with the stock tyres on proline 3.8 rims......good strong rims and not gonna brake the bank....unless u have £$200+ to chuck at sum......and sum ci closed cell foams r very good......I stripped off my stock kit rims/tyres today in the oven....

Last edited by evssv; 02-23-2017 at 06:48 PM.
evssv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #3

Do you know what the part number on the Proline wheels is? I will check them out...
Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It is the Pro Line 3.8 1/2 offset either the desperado or F-11. I started with the desparados and they warped pretty bad after a few months. I am now using the F-11 but still to new to give any data BUT either one is way better than stock. I went through the stripped wheel spiral way back when I first built my kit. I spent soo much on wheels and tires it makes me sick. To the fix to your problem. it is NOT the stock wheel nuts it is the power applied. Turn down the punch control and turn down the brake. Get the truck rolling before you turn on the power. You have to be smooth on the throttle or it will keep eating wheels. I did not follow these rules at first and would go through wheels like they were free and they ain't. Since I changed my driving style I haven't had a wheel hex failure in over a year. yes you can still go nuts and wide open and have fun. just get that mass of weight moving first. Good luck.
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Here is my thread on this.

new wheels
pro mod steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Hey Steve...I think I have read almost every thread on wheels here and am about to go blind. I think I have (had) the MT4 but maybe I will give the F11's a try since they are pretty inexpensive. Will my stock BFG tires fit on them or do I have to modify since they are a Traxxas bead? I will get some of the foam inserts you used also. I am actually very easy on the gas and brakes but I got this monster from eBay so no telling what the guy before me did to it! Will those F11 wheels also work with this..."17mm Hub +8mm Hub W Serrated Nuts - Yeti Xl Kit"? I should buy that yes?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 02-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Blue locktight is all you really need.
I half stripped one of my rims like on the 2nd run (check my thread), I did put the hr Hubs on the rear after but my fronts are still stock and are fine.

It's mainly just your wheel nut coming loose then stripping your rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VNEMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My XL kit will be 1 in a couple of months and I'm still kicking with the original wheels with a 2200 MMX combo on 4s and tons of heavy aluminum upgrades. I run zero punch control and hammer the throttle all the time even on pavement. It is meticulously maintained and has been basically trouble free for a long time.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I had F11 on my savage flux for a while running 6S 2000kv, the hexs were tough as hell !
ColdFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

The only time I have stripped a wheel is when it worked it's way loose. To stop this I use teflon tape over the threads. I've had no problems since.
Dairy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Hey guess thanks for the info! It helps a bunch.

I just put in an order for...

- Proline F11 wheels
- HR 17mm hub kit
- CI foam inserts
- assorted screws/nuts and body clips (always losing them)

I will get some pictures up when I get it together

In the meantime, I cut out a small round patch from my mountain bike tire tube, cut out a hole in the middle, put it over the axle and nut, then just put the stripped wheel over that and tightened it. The rubber actually helps the plastic "bite" and I now have four wheel drive again until my new wheels come in!!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drink-U-Under View Post
In the meantime, I cut out a small round patch from my mountain bike tire tube, cut out a hole in the middle, put it over the axle and nut, then just put the stripped wheel over that and tightened it. The rubber actually helps the plastic "bite" and I now have four wheel drive again until my new wheels come in!!
Another option if that fails before your new wheels get their, is remove your hex adapter from axle, bolt it up to the wheel then take a heat gun to inside and slowly heat it up till it starts to melt and conform back around the hex adapter
jump_it is offline   Reply With Quote

Guess its time for some new wheels...(take 2) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
well time for a new build i guess hotrodsonoma 1.5 Scale Rigs 14 12-02-2011 02:41 PM
Time for New Wheels mgauger Axial XR10 18 05-10-2011 03:23 PM
well i guess its time i build a 1.9 comp tuber rockbound Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 58 02-14-2010 08:51 PM
Wheels.....time to get serious Deezul Tires and Wheels 25 03-20-2009 10:51 PM