Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Straight cut gears v Sprial cut gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #1

Default Straight cut gears v Sprial cut gears

Hi all
Decided it was time to pull the diffs out of the XL. My diff gears are straight cut . The rear gears are still in good condition ( using the 3 bearing mod ) but the front diff gears are starting to show a small amount of wear( haven't done the 3 bearing mod yet ) My question is should I replace the gears with the spiral ones, whats the advantage over the straight cut gears. Also deciding on what oil should I put in the front and rear diffs ?
Thanks guys
Axial6768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Straight cut gears v Sprial cut gears

Main problem with the diffs is not the pinion itself, but the bearings. My first set was a straight cut which failed only when the bearings failed. So do the three bearing mod in front also and keep your original pinion/ring until they'll need replacement. It will take some time!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Tzicul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzicul View Post
Main problem with the diffs is not the pinion itself, but the bearings. My first set was a straight cut which failed only when the bearings failed. So do the three bearing mod in front also and keep your original pinion/ring until they'll need replacement. It will take some time!

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5
Thanks for that Yeah one of the 10 x 16 x5mm bearings was real lumpy as well one of the pinion bearings so have just ordered new ones to replace, will differently be doing the 3 bearing mod. Out of curiosity has any one done the BHB diff wax mod ?
Cheers
Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial6768 View Post
Thanks for that Yeah one of the 10 x 16 x5mm bearings was real lumpy as well one of the pinion bearings so have just ordered new ones to replace, will differently be doing the 3 bearing mod. Out of curiosity has any one done the BHB diff wax mod ?
Cheers
I ran ithe WAX mod for 4 months and it's awesome! I ended up doing my Banshee XL and Bomber XL front diff with WAX.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #5

My mate and I have been running straight cut for a year and no problems. Once we replaced the bearings with decent bearings we have had no problem. I run ali front bulkhead and ali diff cup and get no gear slipping, my mate has plastic ones and gets some slipping of the teeth occasionally.
Burn999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarHarborBasher View Post
I ran ithe WAX mod for 4 months and it's awesome! I ended up doing my Banshee XL and Bomber XL front diff with WAX.
Does it get hot enough to melt down in the diff cup and turn into a limited slip or stays locked the whole time?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Does it get hot enough to melt down in the diff cup and turn into a limited slip or stays locked the whole time?
Melts down in a few seconds bashing probably comparative to 100,000 cst. ... If I start off crawlings it pretty much stays locked .. the best part is it hardens back up so Everytime the choice is mine. I've noticed that silly putty has a reaction to the powdered metal. The wax is 100% safe.
BarHarborBasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if any other straight gears ie the same pitch and number of teeth or complete diff will fit into the xl housing
Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I was just looking at this when I realized I needed to replace my gears after a bearing failure.

I'll ok into the 3 bearing mod too.

Thanks for posting about this!
Adidas4275 is offline   Reply With Quote

Straight cut gears v Sprial cut gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
only cut tires. post up your cut tire photos evan03 Tires and Wheels 172 12-05-2021 07:54 PM
Dove cut, bobbed, cut, chopped, you name it its been threw it... California Raisin... Madjones Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 11-17-2014 09:07 AM
bevel cut vs straight cut?????? savagebeast Axial Wraith 10 12-19-2012 12:18 PM
bevel cut vs straight cut?????? savagebeast 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 12-18-2012 05:49 PM