Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti XL

Notices

Thread: Pick up an YXL - Need a few pointers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

Default Pick up an YXL - Need a few pointers

What's up everyone. I just picked up a used XL from a friend with a ton of spare parts, all stock unfortunately. I've spent the last couple days reading and searching; I try to keep forum newbie educate up so i'm not asking a million questions

Here's where i'm at to get this thing set up. I'll only be running it on 3s for now since it came with a couple batteries.
I plan to buy a front Bulkhead from either HR or GPM.. torn between the two and can't decide which way to go honestly.
I would also get the Bellcrank and steering parts from the same location so its all by the same brand.

3 bearing mod
New Bearings - Fast eddy
Maybe HD gears - undecided if its really necessary. Thoughts?

I assume I can't go wrong with either HR or GPM.. do you guys have a preference for any reason or am i good either way? I like GPMs color options too vs only black..

Lastly, looking at GPMs website for the steering bellcrank, is there a full kit available? It looks like you buy it in pieces?

Thanks for the help guys.
pbsandman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Pick up an YXL - Need a few pointers

Hey man! Welcome to the love affair you are about to embark on with the yeti XL.

From the list of things you want to do our yetis will be about the same.

I have the kit one so I already have HD gears.

My mod list so far is the GPM front housing, rear drive shaft and bellcrank with RPM front arms.

3 bearing mod front and rear.

As far as hot racing vs GPM, the quality is about the same (good) but I prefer the GPM parts as I like the look better and for the rear axle id get the RC4WD one as its already confirmed as modded for the HD gears and look spot on.

I have only run mine on 3s and my gears front and rear still look reasonably new.

Ps.. this subforum is reasonably dead unfortunately :-(

I suggest getting on this Facebook group as it's way more active.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1504892906429813

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Spunkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #3

Thanks man for the welcome and replying. A couple yrs ago I was on here when it was more active but I ended up buying an Hpi Baja and completely modifying it instead. But here I am hooked again.

I was leaning more towards the gpm mods as well, quality looks good and I like the color options as well. What has me confused with gpm is their bellcrank setup.. dhawk sells a full assembly that looks nice! Gpm looks to sell the assembly but you have to buy the parts separately to make it complete. Is that correct or am I looking at it incorrectly.
I see the steering mount, posts and assembly all sold individually. Is that what’s needed to upgrade the bellcrank or am I doing this wrong. Ha
Thanks
Old 07-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

With the GPM parts you need to.buy the bellcrank, posts and connecting bit separately.

I already had the cross bit from a cheap company called TFL on eBay so I just got the bellcrank and posts from gpm.

https://www.gpmparts.com/axial-racin...-90068837.html

https://www.gpmparts.com/axial-racin...-90068835.html

https://www.gpmparts.com/axial-racin...-90072709.html

Old 07-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #5

Ya I’ll be ordering up these parts real soon. The steering has so much slop in it and a fairly poor turning radius from it. Looks like a little bit of wheel wobble too up front.

If you had to do it over again would you stay with gpm or go with a dhawk bellcrank set up?
100% will be getting a gpm bulkhead either way.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsandman7 View Post
If you had to do it over again would you stay with gpm or go with a dhawk bellcrank set up?
100% will be getting a gpm bulkhead either way.
Can't say.. I don't know anything about the dhawk bellcrank but the GPM one works well enough.

I have a 29kg (1000oz) servo which is A LOT for any rc and the GPM one has been great.

The cheap integy servo horn on the other hand was crap and stripped out after only about 20 batteries.

Pick up an YXL - Need a few pointers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a new kit need some pointers. sotvotkong General Scale Talk 9 04-24-2015 06:48 PM
Need a couple of pointers Hizz85 Newbie General 2 09-18-2014 07:44 PM
New to 1\10 need some pointers hammer29 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 07-04-2012 08:49 PM
Need a few pointers.... Norse Tamiya CR-01 7 06-12-2008 03:41 PM
Need pointers the more the better. Never Enough Chit Chat 4 04-23-2006 06:20 AM