Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: T-Money's Yeti "Keep'n it Squatchy"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default T-Money's Yeti "Keep'n it Squatchy"

I caught one!!

We had heard rumors that a Yeti was spotted deep in the high mountains of Utah. I grabbed up the R/C's and headed out to track down the beast. Hear is how I tracked and caught mine.

The SCX10's can sniff out a Yeti better than a coon hound. Once you're on the trail of the yeti it's important not to rush in to quickly, as the Yeti is very quick at tackling even the most extreme terrain and can out run most other R/C's. Just take your time and let the SCX10's track the Yeti. The SCX10's endurance comes into play here, although the Yeti is quick it will tire out before the SCX10.
Once the Yeti starts to tire it will try to hide. Enter the Wraith!! The wraith can tackle the most extreme and technical terrain you can find. Send in the Wraith (more than one might be necessary unless yours is heavily modified) The wraith should be able to crawl up to any hiding place that the Yeti has found. Provided your Yeti is tired and hungry, the Wraith should be able to lure the Yeti out with some a Twin Hammer or TH parts (It's no secret that the Yeti eats up the Twin Hammers )
Once the Yeti takes the bait, surround it with a fleet of Axial R/C's to make it feel comfortable and welcome. If everything went according to plan the Yeti should adapt and come calmly into your family of Axial R/C's. Once it has acknowledged you as its owner it will only unleash it's raw and relentless power on your unsuspecting competitors.

Well I'm not sure what direction this rig will go. I might end up throwing a ton of goodies at it or I might just address issues as they arise. I don't have any direct path as of yet. I'm just along for the ride and from the looks of the Yeti it's sure to be a fun one.

Harley has mot of the specs covered so I'm not going to go into all that. And there are a ton of pics out there of the Yeti, so I'm not going to show you a bunch of detailed pics of the chassis and what not. This thread will just be about my outings, carnage, and whatever upgrades or issues that I address with my Yeti.

Over the weekend I took it out to the 801rcc comp to let the masses fondle, look, and ask questions. Lets just say there was a crowd gathered around the tailgate of my truck most of the day.

I did snap a couple pics of the yeti posing on the rocks at 10,700 feet

NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: T-Money's Yeti "Keep'n it Squatchy"

Beautiful shots! My vote would be to make it like your Dudley thread. Most of the yetis have already been torn down and upgraded with hundreds of dollars worth of parts and while that's cool, someone like me who plans to run it stock can't really relate to that. I'd say upgrade as you go and enjoy the thing!
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Best thread ever!
Aebous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice intro! Looking to follow along with this as well and can't wait to find one for myself hopefully cornered in an UPS truck
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #5

Ill be watching this thread as well. I'm fairly new to RCs and really digging the Yeti in its stock rock racer form, and want to know what it will handle out of the box.
r6chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

These are making me want one. I have not owned a RC car for years.
impulse2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
Beautiful shots! My vote would be to make it like your Dudley thread. Most of the yetis have already been torn down and upgraded with hundreds of dollars worth of parts and while that's cool, someone like me who plans to run it stock can't really relate to that. I'd say upgrade as you go and enjoy the thing!
This.

Great thread start............................................. .....again.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Okay I've had the Yeti out a couple times now, but I haven't been out to any really good locations. So far I've done a couple asphalt speed tests and some gravel rallying. "How fast is it?" seems to always be the fist question people ask. So I through in my on board GPS and took her for a spin.

Stock out of the box.
2s 7.4v = 19mph
3s 11.1v = 28mph

The other thing I noticed while ripping it around on the pavement was the tires are pretty slick and I really feel like the Yeti needs some R35's for better grip So that will likely be one of the first things changed.

Also, I don't trust the stock wheel hubs. I've seen these fail on the Poison Spyder Wraith so with the extra power the Yeti has these will need to be addressed right away.

I'm going to keep it basic at the moment and just do the 12mm Axial hexs (AX30429) and some VP hubs to start. This should add the durability I'm looking for without much cost.

Last edited by NaZ-T; 08-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Staying with the grub screw style vs clamping? I ordered clamping hexes along with VP hubs as well as the VooDoo U4 tires for mine (whenever it gets here)
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I wonder if adding sticky tires will make the beads more likely to break. Also more stress on that drive pin. But good call on going with the cheap route for that fix. Only adds a few bucks to the build total
SoCal Crawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richterat83 View Post
Staying with the grub screw style vs clamping? I ordered clamping hexes along with VP hubs as well as the VooDoo U4 tires for mine (whenever it gets here)
Yeah the Axial hexes (ax30429) are only $6 for all 4 hexes. I can buy 4 sets for the price of VP's clamping ones. Although VP's are probably better, I've ran the Axial hexes on my Ultra4 car for a few years now without any issues, so I'm sure they'll work just fine.

I decided on the R35 Maxxis Trepadors over the Voodoo U4 for a couple of reasons.
  1. Scale looks
  2. Cost
  3. Traction

The U4 is a great tire, but it seems a little lacking in the looks department. I'm not a fan of the smooth sidewalls with very little lettering. I also think the licensed tire is extra cool in the scaleness category.

The U4 tires at $37 seems a bit steep when I can get the Treps at $33 + a 10-15% discount locally

I've ran side by side with a couple different compounds of the U4 tire and have yet to see them out perform an R35 (I have however, seen the R35's make a number of climbs that the U4 could't) So #3 again goes to the Treps

The Treps also have a pretty thick carcass which I think will help support the tire at speed (of course that does mean they are heavier)

Not to mention, it sounds like every Yeti out there will have U4's on it. So mine will be different from the masses

This is in no way intended to bash the U4 tire it's just my personal opinion and findings

I also went ahead and picked up some AKA 2.2 truck foams to build my own 2 stage foam setup to help support the sidewalls at speed.
I went with 350 hubs for the front and 725's for the rear (keeping it as close to stock as possible).

Last edited by NaZ-T; 08-26-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Crawlr View Post
I wonder if adding sticky tires will make the beads more likely to break. Also more stress on that drive pin. But good call on going with the cheap route for that fix. Only adds a few bucks to the build total
I too, am a little worried that the sticky tires will grip enough to debead.
I did notice that these beadlocks have little teeth on the inside of the beadlock ring to help grip the tire, unlike the ones on the Poison Spyder Wraith. So I'll give them a shot and address if necessary
Old 08-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

This is a Thread I'll be watching..
Keeping it cheap and having fun.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post
The U4 is a great tire, but it seems a little lacking in the looks department. I'm not a fan of the smooth sidewalls with very little lettering. I also think the licensed tire is extra cool in the scaleness category.
I have to agree with you here. To design and build a tire for U4 style racing from the ground up, and even name it U4, and then model it after a tire that has never been used in real Ultra4 racing is.... confusing.

Sure, it looks like a great tire, but why not pick a tread that is actually scale to U4 racing?
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I felt those
Voodoos in my LHS and I felt the same way. You'll be happy with the trepadors. Mine broke in after about 10 packs and they work better and better

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I agree 100% on the Treps. That's what I have been running all year and have no intention to swap out.

They are a true ultra4 / rock race / w.e. rock tire. So good.

Like mentioned earlier, they take a good amount of packs to break in, but once they do, they are awesome. Both scale and performance.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Will the stock screws fit the VP slw's? I purchased the VP hubs and slw's but no screws.
VTHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

What batteries are you running? Your yeti is still stock electronics right?
impulse2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie View Post
Will the stock screws fit the VP slw's? I purchased the VP hubs and slw's but no screws.
I believe the stock screws are a coarse, self tappiing thread.

The SLW hubs require a 4-40 x 3/8". You might want to go with a 4-40 x 1/4" though as the plastic wheel face is probably thicker than the AL wheel faces..

And although everything else VP and Axial uses is metric, I can ASSURE YOU that the SLW hubs use 4-40 SAE hardware.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
The SLW hubs require a 4-40 x 3/8". Although everything else VP and Axial uses is metric, I can ASSURE YOU that the SLW hubs use 4-40 SAE hardware.

The VP hubs fit just fine into the wheels but yes you will need some screws. The VP's use 4-40 screws, so I just picked up some 4-40 x 3/8 from the LHS to finish the install. Everything went together great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse2010 View Post
What batteries are you running? Your yeti is still stock electronics right?
Yep, still running stock electronics.
I've been running a few different packs so far,
  • Thunder Power 5300 65c 2s
  • Traxxas 4000 25c 3s

A pics of the Yeti's new shoes!!

Last edited by NaZ-T; 08-28-2014 at 11:33 AM.

T-Money's Yeti "Keep'n it Squatchy" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SteveC6R's "Hell Yeti" SteveC6R Axial Yeti 93 07-15-2015 08:42 PM
Project 2.2: Ultra4 "The Yeti Hunter" Desert Rc 2.2 Scale Rigs 132 01-25-2015 10:04 PM
Got the "Yeti Fever" yet? Hunter711 Axial Yeti 63 08-14-2014 02:35 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM