Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Lay Person's Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Lay Person's Yeti

Just wanted to lend my non-expert opinion on the Axial Yeti. Not that anyone cares...just wanted to share.

This truck/buggy/rig is absolutely amazing. Yes it has a number of short comings out of the box that we are all aware of, but just the general design and ability for it to deliver a hobby driving experience of an Ultra 4/KOH type rig it quite amazing. Not only does it look the part but drives the part as well.

I took it out yesterday and just thrashed it for 3 hours (2s lipo) on a torture test of terrain ranging from huge sand hill climbs, rocky and loose dirt hill climbs, desert type terrain speed running, slow rocky small boulder crawl terrain, and it made it through it all. At the end I finally had something give out in the transmission (need to tear it down tonight to see what it is) but it took everything I threw at it. This is all with the only upgrades on it being slw hubs and axial 12mm aluminum hexes.

Now I will say it does not crawl real well "slow" in my experience yesterday. The stock drive train cogs a bit a very slow speed and with the transmission loaded up, but I found if you go into a crawling situation with a little speed and try and keep the speed going, the rig really does seems to find a way to pull itself through (very scale KOH like) even with the sensorless system. Eventually I had it thermal on me once at 180 degrees but it was very hot outside here yesterday (90 plus degrees).....but as I read that was expected (I did do the Castle link firmware update before heading out too). Still I think I can make this system do what I need it to do until I can afford a sensored system down the line. The motor took everything like a champ, even with the hot ambient temps outside I never saw the motor go over 180 degrees (that is my cutoff for brushless motors temp wise to stop and let them cool down).

But this vehicle wasn't intended to be a dedicated crawler, it was designed to run all kinds of terrain at speed and take punishment while doing it. When driving it like that it performed pretty brilliantly. I was very impressed with the rig on the rocks/sand/jumps at speed. Scaled down KOH type terrain it was awesome on. I popped a plastic steering link on one VERY bad off angle landing on a rock from a long high jump but it just popped back on and away it went. Very resilient rig, lost count how many beatings and crashes it took only to come back for more.

Just wanted to share how happy I am with the purchase. I have been lucky enough to own a number of different RC vehicles (I buy and sell when done so I can afford to try others). Very few I have purchased where I have said "I will absolutely keep this one". Well the Yeti is very scale, drives scale, and can take a beating where I think I have found a vehicle I would like to fully upgrade and hang onto. Obviously the Yeti has its issues as well but I will have a great time sniffing all those out and making this one of my flag ship rigs going forward.

Great job Axial...thanks for another great platform.
Sactown_Summit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Lay Person's Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10 lay out MonScx10 Axial SCX-10 17 01-17-2014 04:44 PM
Lay-down or Stand-up Brushes jevyguy Electronics 1 03-09-2010 07:10 AM
DUI on a Lay-Z-Boy constantmotion Chit Chat 7 11-01-2009 07:48 PM
Got the big lay off wrx-n-ktm Chit Chat 21 09-14-2009 04:54 PM