Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Inner Hinge Screws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Inner Hinge Screws?

Like many of you, I have bent both if my inner hinge screws - m3x61mm. Does ANYONE have these in stock? Ive tried all the online shops that I know of and - nothing. My Yeti has been an $800 paper weight since Tower's site said, "mid December". Here it is nearly February. How hard is it to get screws?!
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Inner Hinge Screws?

Inner hinge pins are worth gold right now. My suggestion would be to buy multiple packs when you find some.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Might try here - may be imperial vs metric, and you probably have to do a bit of trimming/shortening, but it would get you up and running.
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-De...?product=13125
mfishr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #4

I've seen on eBay inner hinge pins but they come with stock arms and knuckles for like 10 bucks I would buy those if I wanted to run
simpscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What about getting some M3 x 61mm Stainless pins and using a set screw to keep then in place?
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABIDFOX View Post
What about getting some M3 x 61mm Stainless pins and using a set screw to keep then in place?
It's exactly what I've done, but I used STRC aluminium part and 3mm carbide rods.

ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Keep in mind that Axial designed this as a weak point on purpose to keep from tearing other parts of the front end apart. The stronger the material you use, the better the odds of ripping apart the chassis tub itself.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #8

Axial designed this as a cheap part...

If it was well designed those pins won't bent that easely.

I have never bent a hinge pin on my Slash 4x4, or my Savages or any other serious car I can remember.
ra272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Well then they should have built up a big supply of these hinge screws before ever releasing the RTR. Their ability to supply parts that they SHOULD have known would be in big demand is pathetic to me... Very discouraging of a company I try to support.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra272 View Post
It's exactly what I've done, but I used STRC aluminium part and 3mm carbide rods.

Got a link to where you got your rods?

I can understand the hinge bolts are a designed weak point, however using the metal block and maybe fabricating a couple bushings for the back portion where the screws would be will aid in at the very least less wear and tear. Any good hit to the arms is going to be bad as said above but I'm willing to take the risk.

Besides, I like to tinker just as much as I like to race.
RABIDFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

60mm here: McMaster-Carr
Briansshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Can you get them out and straighten them enough to get ya going? Worked for me.
Briansshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
Like many of you, I have bent both if my inner hinge screws - m3x61mm. Does ANYONE have these in stock? Ive tried all the online shops that I know of and - nothing. My Yeti has been an $800 paper weight since Tower's site said, "mid December". Here it is nearly February. How hard is it to get screws?!
i purchased a multipack and have plenty of extras. i would be happy to send you 2 when i get back to work Tuesday. if interested PM me your info. No $ needed
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Subbed for mcmaster link...
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I believe that I too have a bag of said pins, I found at LHS the day of purchase as well as 3 sets of stock knuckle carriers and one set of HR knuckles that only work on the exo I guess I would be willing to help a brother out with a set of pins and would let the other parts go for what I paid. Not looking to make money here just trying to help out a tiny bit...well I would like to unload those HR knuckles I can't use Pm me if you have the need
Rockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansshop View Post
Can you get them out and straighten them enough to get ya going? Worked for me.
Nope. Might work for one side but the other is bad. It'll have to be cut out.

Scott and Rockwolf,
Wow thanks for the offers guys. But before reading your posts I placed an order with McMaster-Carr for a set of m3x60 cap heads. $8 for 25pcs, shipped; not bad. We'll see how this goes...

As far as these hinge screws being designed as a weak point- I don't know if I buy that. If that was the case, Axial would/ should have stockpiled a shirt-ton of em in plans of selling them to clowns like me.

Last edited by DeviledEggs; 01-30-2015 at 10:21 PM.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledEggs View Post
As far as these hinge screws being designed as a weak point- I don't know if I buy that. If that was the case, Axial would/ should have stockpiled a shirt-ton of em in plans of selling them to clowns like me.
If some of you would read/research as much as you bitch, you might learn a thing or two, not directed at anybody in particular. Just gets old reading the bitching on a daily basis that's was already bitched about and covered four months ago.

My comment about the weak point came from Brandon @ Axial himself. It's in another thread in this section that I'm not even going to bother to find.

I lied, happy reading: Hinge Pin Discussion

Last edited by SteveC6R; 01-30-2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

You are welcome, I hope the rod idea works out sweet as it sounds bro! Keep us posted as you progress! I'm always looking for innovation and new ideas, that said it's nice to sit back and see how some of them work out first
Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC6R View Post
If some of you would read/research as much as you bitch, you might learn a thing or two, not directed at anybody in particular. Just gets old reading the bitching on a daily basis that's was already bitched about and covered four months ago.

My comment about the weak point came from Brandon @ Axial himself. It's in another thread in this section that I'm not even going to bother to find but he explains why.
I can't speak for anyone else on this, but I personally do not read every post in every section looking for every detail. Perhaps I should search more, or perhaps better, but the truth is I seldom do. The most awesome part of this site, to me personally is the knowledgable and supremely helpful people here, yourself included, that are so quick to help and offer insight. With that in mind, if I were to be looking for help with A part on a model I recently purchased I most likly would just post the question and depend on the good nature of the knowing crowd here, like yourself, to gimme a hand.
Now that part said, I agree that constant complaining about any certain issue wears thin on most all of us, but what may seem like a never ending tirade to someone as in the know as you, may be a brand new problem to someone who just got the model, or like me does not do his due diligence might not know there is a string of complaints already.
Last thought here, I don't complain a whole lot, but lack of parts for this Yeti is frustrating at best, I know and understand all the rational for it, but it does not ease the frustration of waiting to get your new toy up and running. And though I completely understand the reason and need for designed weak points, so I have no anger here, a point can be made that Axial designed the part to give way, so it does stand to reason that they shod have over produced that part knowing it would be a hot item for us RC guys!
Old 01-30-2015, 11:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I posted this in another thread earlier this week and it's my only explanation as I have no inside information. The Yeti was the hottest release of 2014 and I imagine it has done better sells wise than Axial ever thought it would for a new rig. The release date was the end of August, beginning of September, so it's only 5 months old and has sold like wild fire. With that said I imagine Axial is having a hard time keeping up with demand of certain parts, ie hinge pins, simply because the Yeti has been a huge success. That doesn't help anyone that needs parts but it's part of buying something that is fairly new still and hasn't been around as long as the SCX10 and Wraith. I've had the same frustrations with the YXL but I also realize it's new and parts aren't readily available just yet.

Inner Hinge Screws? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
binder screws vs standard screws for plastic Meatwad Tools, and Procedures 9 10-03-2019 01:20 PM
Cutting E-clip grooves into Ti hinge pins? and What to do for locker set screws? meatmonkey Tools, and Procedures 10 03-22-2013 08:37 AM
hinge question big bronco Scale Accessories 7 04-17-2010 10:23 PM
Bully Hinge 2.2 formtheday RC4WD Bully 10 11-20-2009 08:38 AM