Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: EighteenZero8 Yeti rear axle. Centered or Offset

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #21
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: EighteenZero8 Yeti rear axle. Centered or Offset

I thought the same thing. Man, these are expensive!

As Dicky said, profit margins are probably no where that youre thinking. You know half of my parts list comes from other vendors. Do some calculating and you will see just my cost on their parts are about half the costs of my axles. After you combine that with the fact that every piece on these is modified whether its my part or the parts described previously, you can guess how much time goes into these.

Not everybody will understand, not everybody will want to pay the price. Thats fine, it is what it is.

You need to understand that even if they are not for you, that does not mean that there is no demand for them nor are they not worth it. Some people might think I am crazy for owning a bicycle that was $2500 when it was new and thats still no where near one of the nicest bikes out there. On top of that, if I didnt have a family, I wouldnt own a car that is worth more than my bike. Who pays more for a bicycle than a car? It seems backwards but I buy nice stuff that I do care about and dont want to spend it on stuff that I dont care about.

There are some guys that need stronger parts. These guys might be the type of guy who works 70hrs a week and does not need the frustration on his leisure time/weekend to work on his car rather than drive it. Some guys value their time A LOT and if so, they deserve to do as they please in their time off.

There are some guys who compete with these axles. No matter how good of a driver you are, if your car breaks, you will never win. With these axles, your chances of winning just increased. I know locally, there are some brutal courses where everybody in the field can break in the same race. If you are the only one to not break, you pretty much just won on that alone.

There are some guys who just have more money than the rest of us and dont want to deal with sub par parts. More power to them.

Your argument of a Dana 30 is a perfect example of apples to oranges. Only an idiot would spend that much money on one of the worst 1:1 axles ever. Since I can find them for free, that means that 1808's should be free? Poor logic. Replicate my axles and tell me how much it cost you.

Moral of the story? To each their own.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 AM   #22
RCC Addict

I'm certainly not going to knock these axles! They're artwork and damn near bulletproof. Guarantee there's not another axle on the market that you can bolt on and go, as it sits. No building, no piecing together....it's all done. And it's the last one you'll ever buy.

I hear ya', though. It's all in what's important to you. My bike wasn't $2500, but it was $1800, so I know the feeling on that one. I have a watch that costs almost twice that! It was an anniversary gift from my wife last year and really probably the best thing she's ever bought me. Most guys would settle for a $100-$200 watch, as long as it tells time. Me? My "daily driver" watch was $600.

It's all in where you priorities lie. For me? I love RC, but I know I'd probably never spend enough time running that I could justify spending $500 at once on a rear axle. But I'd be willing to bet that if you tried to piece these together on your own, it'd be pretty close in price, if not maybe even a little more. Hell....the shafts along are probably better than $100 for the pair.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
But I'd be willing to bet that if you tried to piece these together on your own, it'd be pretty close in price, if not maybe even a little more. Hell....the shafts along are probably better than $100 for the pair.
Unless you have your own CNC mill, lathe, all the tooling needed to do these, and CAD\CAM experience to model the truss and hubs and write the tooling paths. I can assure you the cost of putting them together would be much greater than what Erik is charging.

Now if you have the machines, the tooling, the knowledge, and CAD\CAM software, you are only out material cost and your time. Yes you could make a set for less money than he charges.

I lack the machines, tooling, and CAD\CAM experience, so for me... Erik got more of my money!

Aside from my family, RC is my life though. I don't own a 1:1 trail rig, I don't even wear a watch or any type of jewlery. Old camo shorts or jeans, a t-shirt, and some sneakers is my non work clothing of choice.

So yes, I am a grown man child whose priorities outside of family and my dog are playing with little toy trucks

Last edited by DickyT; 02-12-2015 at 10:06 AM.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:06 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I thought the same thing. Man, these are expensive!

As Dicky said, profit margins are probably no where that youre thinking. You know half of my parts list comes from other vendors. Do some calculating and you will see just my cost on their parts are about half the costs of my axles. After you combine that with the fact that every piece on these is modified whether its my part or the parts described previously, you can guess how much time goes into these.

Not everybody will understand, not everybody will want to pay the price. Thats fine, it is what it is.

You need to understand that even if they are not for you, that does not mean that there is no demand for them nor are they not worth it. Some people might think I am crazy for owning a bicycle that was $2500 when it was new and thats still no where near one of the nicest bikes out there. On top of that, if I didnt have a family, I wouldnt own a car that is worth more than my bike. Who pays more for a bicycle than a car? It seems backwards but I buy nice stuff that I do care about and dont want to spend it on stuff that I dont care about.

There are some guys that need stronger parts. These guys might be the type of guy who works 70hrs a week and does not need the frustration on his leisure time/weekend to work on his car rather than drive it. Some guys value their time A LOT and if so, they deserve to do as they please in their time off.

There are some guys who compete with these axles. No matter how good of a driver you are, if your car breaks, you will never win. With these axles, your chances of winning just increased. I know locally, there are some brutal courses where everybody in the field can break in the same race. If you are the only one to not break, you pretty much just won on that alone.

There are some guys who just have more money than the rest of us and dont want to deal with sub par parts. More power to them.

Your argument of a Dana 30 is a perfect example of apples to oranges. Only an idiot would spend that much money on one of the worst 1:1 axles ever. Since I can find them for free, that means that 1808's should be free? Poor logic. Replicate my axles and tell me how much it cost you.

Moral of the story? To each their own.
I hear what you are saying and understand your points. That said, my point of comparison was to illustrate the following facts: 1. the hobby costs for a part exceed the cost of functional parts of an actual 1:1 vehicle; 2. the amount of material used in the 1:1 items exceeds the cost of material used in the 1/10th product so a comparison on a pound for pound basis makes the RC cost appear high; and 3. at some point it helps to remember that the amount of money we spend on our toys is actually more than the cost of the real thing (in some cases).

I work with one client that purchases aftermarket off-road companies that generally make products for Jeeps and the like. The profit margins on those products is generally pretty incredible as well, especially when you consider the continued growth in the market and the replacement of sports cars with small utility vehicles (think RX7/300Z vs the modern equivalent - Scion Xa/Xb and Range Rover Evoque).

Best of luck with your products, they do look incredible.
MeanTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Those are beautiful!! I wouldn't know if i should install it or frame it and just look at it!!
scott1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Yeti xl VS 1808 axle.... Just could justify spending that much....
skedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skedhead View Post
Yeti xl VS 1808 axle.... Just could justify spending that much....

Right?!?! I understand though, this is meant for the hard ballers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seanycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTT View Post
I thought the offset was really a reflection of the way that the other axial vehicles were set up and was not advantageous for any particular reason.
I was under the impression that the offset pumkin helped with drive shaft clearance and helped keep the drive shaft protected by the nearest lower arm regardless of application.
StatGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Also, wouldn't the center pumpkin get hung up more than the offset?
Ecranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecranu View Post
Also, wouldn't the center pumpkin get hung up more than the offset?
That all depends on how gates are setup. I've hung centered and offset both about the same. It always seems to me that course builders with offset aim to nail the centered guys and vice versa.

Choose your lines wisely grasshoppa!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickyT View Post
That all depends on how gates are setup. I've hung centered and offset both about the same. It always seems to me that course builders with offset aim to nail the centered guys and vice versa.

Choose your lines wisely grasshoppa!
That's shady!

I was trying to elude to the offset pumpkin's advantage of being closer to the wheel and providing more constant ground clearance than with the center pumpkin being equally further from both wheels.
Ecranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Really so there's a function to the offset diff? I always thought it was just scale looks..
Seanycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

That is the most overbuilt over-engineered axle on the planet. I love it.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecranu View Post
That's shady!

I was trying to elude to the offset pumpkin's advantage of being closer to the wheel and providing more constant ground clearance than with the center pumpkin being equally further from both wheels.
I should have said I was just being silly. I don't know that anyone has ever done that...

I do think torque twist will be reduced with the center pumpkin though. So it's a trade off of the reason you mentioned.

EighteenZero8 Yeti rear axle. Centered or Offset - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd centered rear axle otis683 Axial Wraith 2 09-15-2013 09:40 AM