Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Another motor question from a noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Another motor question from a noob

I feel kind of silly even asking but the more research I do, the more confused I become. Main reason is it seems most of the motor posts leave out important information like battery and terrain type and I feel this could be very important in motor choice.

So I'll try and be more specific with my questions. I'm new to the electric RC game, have been a nitro fan in the past so batteries and ESC's are a factor I haven't had to deal with in the past.

Anyway, looking at getting the Yeti in kit form so I can immediately add the 2-speed option. Looking at a mid prices motor/ESC combo of around $200-$230. Would like it to be censored and work well for bashing/high speed runs and a little rock crawling (hence the desire for the 2-speed option). I don't have a slew of lipo's yet so I can run either a 2s or 3s. I live in central Texas so we see hot summers and cool winters with mostly packed dirt and sand (I like playing in the sand most). Would need the motor handle these conditions without overheating. I'm almost sold on the Mamba Max pro ESC but could easily be swayed if your points are valid. LOL

Oh and if my demands aren't enough, I'd like to see runtimes in the 20 minute range if possible?

If I need to spend more time with the search function by all means don't hold back. I know this question has been asked enough, just didn't see anything that fit my above situation.
amped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another motor question from a noob

I run a mamba max pro and a holmes hobbies 540XL 3500kv motor on 2200mah 3s packs. mostly trail running, rock crawling and rock bouncerish hill climbing. Honestly with that setup I have no desire for it to be faster. it's already a handfull wide open. running 15/64 gears and stock ratio diffs. it has excellent low speed crawling for such a big motor but has massive torqu and speed when I need it. I usually get 35-45 min from a 2200 pack. sometimes more with stop and go group crawling.
m0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

There's a ton of motors out there that would work well for your intended purpose. Tekin Pro 4 HD is hot right now, but you could use the Pro 4 3300kv, too. Really anything sensored will work well for a trail rig that you want both high speed runs and low speed crawling. Run 2s for slow speed stuff then 3s for speed. That Holmes motor seems to be the hot ticket right now, too! But again anything sensored would well and keep the esc from thermaling out. That's the problem with the stock Vanguard system in the RTR version. Good speed, but when you wanna run slow stuff, especially here in TX, it thermals out pretty quickly. Even with fans on both the motor and the ESC. So stick with a sensored motor and you should be fine.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
AK_

I ordered a Hobbywing SCT Pro combo for my upcoming yeti, should arrive any day. Its - at least in europe - way cheaper then the Tekin combo and I hear only good stuff about it...
I went for the 3400kv and am going to run it with 3S. 4000kv seemed a little bit too fast with 3s imho.
AK_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thinking about going with the Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv backed by the MMP and 7200mAh 70C 3s battery for power when bashing around. Good combo or will the batter be more than I'm needing with the pro4?
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

70c is well over whats needed but nothing wrong with more C. Its when you get too low of a C rating it becomes an issue. As long as its 35c or more you should be good.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Just got in my Castle MMX and it will be paired withmy new installed HH 540xl. I believe in over doing it somewhat, this way if I ever want I can transfer that MMX to a number of othe trucks/bashers or differenct scale. Youre probably going to want to stick with 3S, many have found 2s rather boring when you bash around. I went with SPC racing batteries for my Yeti as well, good reviews and decent price.

Edit.MMX is only about 30 more than the MMP. Go to towerhobbies and use the discount codes and buy the sensor harnes with it.
ARSone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #8

They have monthly coupons for $$ off when you spend a certain amount. Join their members program for $10 and you get codes every month that give even more off.
surgetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amped up View Post
Thinking about going with the Tekin Pro4 HD 3000kv backed by the MMP and 7200mAh 70C 3s battery for power when bashing around. Good combo or will the batter be more than I'm needing with the pro4?
What 7200 3S battery will fit in the Yeti?
apsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Thanks Monster

Thanks again guys, really appreciate all the help.

discount codes???? I like discount codes.

I'm showing the SPC Racing batteries will fit but is 1mm taller than the stock battery box, figured I could work around that.

138mm long x 46.5mm wide x 36mm tall per the company info.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-20-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I got spc 6500 65c 3s that fits nice and snug, with no modification
BigBlokBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I'm showing the SPC Racing batteries will fit but is 1mm taller than the stock battery box, figured I could work around that.

Impressive. A hard case as well no less. I hadn't seen more than a 6000 pack that would fit and that was a soft case.

Wish I had easy access to stuff like that. $92 shipping takes the shine off it though.
apsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

The battery tray is easily adaptable by putting spacers under the front legs of the cage. I run the same 5000-6500 mah 4s packs that I use in my 1/8 scale buggy and those are 47-48mm tall.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Why such big batteries?
I use 2200-3300 Mah batteries. I get 30-40 minutes with the 3300 batteries and they don't weigh a ton or take up too much space. They also fit other vehicles nicely.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I run the batteries I already own to run in vehicles comparable in size and weight to my Yeti. The things I run smaller packs in all are much lighter and use much smaller motors.

Big 4 pole motors like most people run in their Yetis can draw lots of power. Small batteries have a harder time keeping up with the power demands of hard running.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Small batteries have a harder time keeping up with the power demands of hard running.
I can't agree with this. I have been running MMP/Pro4s in Wraiths for years. I only run 2200 Mah batteries in my Wraiths. My Yeti is running a Holmes BLE ESC with his 540XL motor. I run the 3300 and 2200 Mah batteries in it. One point is, I buy the highest C rating I can with these batteries (usually 60c from Value Hobby). In the early days of the Pro4 powered Wraiths i did puff some 20c batteries. I feel big batteries just add weight (and of course, crazy long run times). Each their own.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I just picked up my daughter a TA SC10B that will be running smaller batteries. I'll throw a pack or two at the Yeti once I get it up and running and see how they stack up.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
Why such big batteries?
I use 2200-3300 Mah batteries. I get 30-40 minutes with the 3300 batteries and they don't weigh a ton or take up too much space. They also fit other vehicles nicely.
I cant get runtimes like that in my Yeti unless im using my 6500 150c pack. My 3400 30c only lasts 20-25 mins with my itchy trigger finger. But the 3400 pulls double duty- it lasts forever in the Wraith. Well over an hour...

Last edited by DeviledEggs; 11-12-2015 at 09:05 PM.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I get pretty good time on my 2200 packs and im on the throttle 90% of the time.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

If you truly want to stay under $200 (and you haven't already bought something), I'd recommend a caste creations sidewinder sct system (with the 3800kv motor). I put the 3800kv in my rtr in place of the stocker (the stock esc is the same as the sidewinder esc), and this thing rips. With the right gearing I get as much if not more torque than the rtr motor and a very noticeable amount of speed. And the best part is, the little motor stays cool to the touch even after 3 packs in 80 degree SoCal weather! And at only ~$110 you have plenty of money to spend on good batteries. I recommend SMC lipos because they are cheap and very very high quality. However, I don't know how the motor will handle 3s, it "can" but some people have reported overheating problems, I haven't tried it myself because I don't need any more speed.
totallypro is offline   Reply With Quote

Another motor question from a noob - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noob motor question pro mod steve Electronics 3 12-05-2014 09:12 PM
noob motor question Rocklandwraith Newbie General 3 11-24-2011 10:08 AM
motor question from a noob Nylintbucket Electronics 4 09-04-2009 11:16 PM
Noob - Motor Question letus Electronics 0 02-01-2009 08:23 PM