Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Cat's SCORE Truck Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cat's SCORE Truck Build

Got this truck last week and I am already to think up plans for it. I am planning on trying a somewhat scale build (scale to what, I don't know ). The caveat is that this will be a basher, trail runner, and even a light crawler. I will try to make it as detailed as possible without sacrificing function or my willingness to bash on it.

After watching the Redbull Signature Series winter rush I decided I wanted flaps all the way around. Not only because I like the look but also to keep the truck a bit cleaner.

Materials Used (all from McMaster Carr):
1. 1/16"T by 1/4"W brass bar
2. Neoprene Rubber #8568K18 Durometer 30A (soft) sheet
3. M3 x 10L machine bolt SS
4. M3 Flat Washer SS
5. M3 Nylon Locking Nut SS

More to come as parts arrive (AKA When I can afford them )
Attached Images

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 12-10-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Cat's SCORE Truck Build

Cool!......i may steel this idea for this truck and my landys......where did you get the rubber material for the flaps?
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetate12 View Post
Cool!......i may steel this idea for this truck and my landys......where did you get the rubber material for the flaps?
All of the materials are up on the thread before the pics. Got it from McMaster Carr through my work. The part number at McMaster is 8568K18 must specify hardness, I chose 30A (soft)
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Very nice! Now just wait after few months of beating on your rig you look and say "wait...... Did someone steal one of my mudflaps?"
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Welp today I got some parts in the mail from RPP.

Big thing was the 20T 32 pitch pinion gear which worked out great and definitely woke up the truck! Still have plenty of power down low but now has some more speed. Thats even when I had only a somewhat dead pack to test with for a few mins.

Other things added include the gear head 6.5 light bar and gear head 3 way splitter with 4 AAA battery supply for the lights.

I still want to try to run the wires a bit cleaner.

Reason I chose the separate light option was due to the face I didn't want to fumble with connectors each time I wanted to take the body off. I did though connect the battery box using heavy velco, I'll be interested to see how that holds up.

I'll end up ripping the LEDs from the back buckets once I get one of gear head's rear LED bar. Issue with both front and back buckets is that they fog up easily and get dirty/mud in them. Actually taped over the fronts with black electrical tape from the inside already. I will probably paint it over the clear areas black once I get around to it.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2015, 06:33 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for the double post.

Update 12/13

Truck speed was greatly improved with 20 tooth pinion. I did notice after going though a half battery pack at the track that my motor temps were up a considerable amount from my first run on the 16 tooth pinion. I could touch the motor without burning myself but any hotter and I couldn't. Track was at the LHS so I ran in and got a dual fan Integy motor cooler, believe it originally is for a 4x4 slash. Popped right on and brought my temps down to around 70-80 degrees. Keep this in mind if you up the tooth count!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the cooler better than some zip ties?

I also noticed that my body has started to crack around the cage mount, will be picking up some drywall tape and some more shoe goo tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Update 2/17/2016

SSD 10 hole beadlocks black
Front: Vanquish .225 Hubs + narrow axial hexes
Rear: Vanquish .350 Hubs + standard axial hexes

Axial Score Clear Body (RTR replacement)

Lights still need to be placed on the truck

On Order: Hot Racing 2 speed and 18 tooth pinion (dropped from 20t due to increased tire size and higher second gear in trans)
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Glad to see my hub set up worked for you
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salojac View Post
Glad to see my hub set up worked for you
Appreciate the help and advice on your experience. With the rear setup the track is about the same as stock but on the front even with the narrow hexes it is a bit wider. Thus I have to trim out the wheel wells in the front. Decided to do the rear as well so it looked good.

Thanks again!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have really been looking at the hot racing 2 speed. I'm interested to see how you like it
Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
Appreciate the help and advice on your experience. With the rear setup the track is about the same as stock but on the front even with the narrow hexes it is a bit wider. Thus I have to trim out the wheel wells in the front. Decided to do the rear as well so it looked good.

Thanks again!
Agree. The narrow hex's get me to 11.75" and tires stick out past fender well. The rears tuck in very nicely even at 12"

Before I did this mod I had installed a VP front shock adjuster, which limits upward travel, so the body does not hit, but again limits travel. I read someone flipped the shock adjuster, I am going to try that and see how much its hits.
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Got the body and lights on!

Also hooked up the Hot Racing 2 Speed. Didn't have any directions so it made the install interesting. Also had some trouble with the shift servo the way the linkage is set up. Had to do some monkeying to get it right. The low speed is extremely low, which I like! If you have another questions about it let me know!

Trail run is tomorrow morning!
Attached Images

Cat's SCORE Truck Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cat's "Gravity" Build Arctic Cat ZRT Axial Wraith 18 11-21-2015 11:05 PM
JPRC Unboxes the Score Trophy Truck joerc2013 Axial Yeti 4 11-19-2015 11:44 PM
JPRC Redbull Trophy Truck VS Score Trophy Truck STRC Upgrade joerc2013 Axial Yeti 10 11-13-2015 11:06 AM
SCORE trophy truck crawler 4RnrRick Tamiya TLT Crawlers 34 06-05-2008 11:26 AM