Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Axial yeti tire mounting issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial yeti tire mounting issue

Yes, I've spent about 15 minutes looking across both this forum and Google for an answer before making a new post. If I missed the post I was looking for, if you could post a link in the replies that'd be great.

Got my Yeti Score on Sunday and I'm loving it so far. It handles great, goes pretty fast on my 30c 3000mah 3s lipo (about 25mph) for being an RTR Trophy Truck, and soaks up jumps like no one's business. However, after I was done with the maiden run, I brought it in and began to clean it off but got stuck at taking the wheels off. Took the lock nuts off on the rear and proceeded to TRY to remove the rear tires from the axles, but they wouldn't budge. I ended up having to take the 6 bolts off of the rim to take the rim off of the hex and had to remove the tires like that. I tried prying the hubs off of the axles but even with the lock nuts removed, they wouldn't budge. I really don't want to have to remove those 6 bolts every time I want to change the tire. I checked the manual but since the Score is RTR it just says remove the lock nut to remove the tire. Is there something that I'm missing? Everyone I know from my local hobby shop who owns the Score didn't have any issues...so if anyone knows what's up it'd be amazing if you could give me a hint as to how to more easily remove these tires.
-SCXD90- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial yeti tire mounting issue

I've run mine a bunch and I am still having troubles getting the rear wheels off. Frustrating isn't it!!!!!!!!!!!
8000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm having trouble getting all 4 off!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

what tool are you using? If is the included one that's why.
get a real tool and it will be easy.
Also be happy that hex nuts are tight there and not loose...
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
what tool are you using? If is the included one that's why.
get a real tool and it will be easy.
Also be happy that hex nuts are tight there and not loose...
The OP already said they removed the hex nut...they just can't get the wheel/tire off of the axle.

I've had mine for a few months and never have I even tried to remove the tires, haha.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I see.
Maybe is the other way around, is over tight, so the wheel is getting stuck in the hex...
DenisLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbdynsty25 View Post
I've had mine for a few months and never have I even tried to remove the tires, haha.
If you ever do remove the tires, let me know if it works for you. I'm going to tear the whole rear axle apart tonight and see if there's a hidden set screw or something keeping it in place from the other side of the hub.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've run into that most the time a few taps front and back as you turn the wheel with a pull and push. 60% of the time, it works every time.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisLM View Post
I see.
Maybe is the other way around, is over tight, so the wheel is getting stuck in the hex...
I'm hoping the factory didn't overtighten the nuts.....more fun with Axial Customer Service
Old 03-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I had a similar issue before when the hexes start to strip out in the wheels. The points of the hexes on the axle wedge themselves into the flat spots in the wheels making them really hard to get off.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I had a similar issue before when the hexes start to strip out in the wheels. The points of the hexes on the axle wedge themselves into the flat spots in the wheels making them really hard to get off.
I had that issue when I ran the VXL in my SCX10, but that isn't the problem with my rig. They're not coming off at all...I took the wheel off using those 6 bolts and didn't see anything that would prevent the rims from coming off, which makes this issue all the more confusing.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Beno View Post
I've run into that most the time a few taps front and back as you turn the wheel with a pull and push. 60% of the time, it works every time.
That doesnt make sense.

DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I've had problems getting the hexes themselves off the axle, but never the wheels. On the rear axle grab each tire and try twisting back and forth as you pull.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

You know you can just man handle them off, or use a flat blade screw driver to wedge in there and pop them off the hex drives right? My front two were tight til I busted out the ol flat blade.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1330 View Post
...just man handle them off...
I would, but I don't want to break it lol. I'll give it a shot and hope I don't do any damage.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:14 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Eh they can take a beating, I've had to hammer and chisel my lockouts off before, as well as hammer in my axle shafts into my F.I. Spoil. A few well placed taps with a hammer and screw driver (assuming you can't pry), will work nicely. I think the wheels may have a mild design flaw from the factory that makes them a super tight fit, orrrrrr, the people who assembled the things never tightened the hex locknuts all the way in and that causes the interference fit when they tighten the nuts on at the assembly line...
Old 03-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Got em off!! Thanks guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1330 View Post
...my F.I. Spool....
I need me one of them! I've heard the name is quite appropriate for their quality, too.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Yeah it's holding up well in my Yeti RR, but I really don't think you would need it for the TT unless you are crawling/huge power. I've noticed that my TT is not nearly as prone to damage as my kit RR. The smaller tires really take the stress off the drivetrain as compared to the big meats of the regular yeti. I've had some absolutely killed wrecks with my TT and its held up awesome. Only damage was the hingepin when I clipped a pole at 30+ mph on 3s and my 22t pinion (and rpm arms). That's 34 packs of 3s without a hiccup all through this Canadian winter. I'd say just get a set of arms, spare hingepins, a bigger pinion, and go from there. Maybe some rear link braces too just incase. My Yeti RR on the other hand... lol that's a pricey one to run without issue

Axial yeti tire mounting issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue with Yeti, just bought used. Smonkman Axial Yeti 6 10-10-2015 12:02 PM
New Yeti with servo issue, need help. Tower513 Electronics 4 04-29-2015 10:00 AM
Mounting the radiator on my Yeti kit 2-shot Axial Yeti 4 04-08-2015 10:32 PM
Yeti Transponder mounting Sactown_Summit Axial Yeti 2 09-16-2014 10:44 PM
Mounting a winch on the Axial Yeti - How I did it... rm25x Axial Yeti 8 09-03-2014 02:45 PM