Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Project super light 2WD Yeti

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Project super light 2WD Yeti

My 9 year old daughter has been begging me for a Yeti of her own for a while and I have been trying to talk her into a SCT or buggy that would not flip as easy and be a little more forgiving to drive. She insists on having a Yeti, so I am building her one that mostly consists of my factory parts and parts that I have swapped for better ones. To try and get the longest run times I can get out of her Yeti, I've decided to build her a 2WD rig. I have the parts to build her a 4WD, but wanted to see what a lighter 2WD Yeti would be like and she will have no need for 4WD. I also want to build something a little different because she may get tired of it and I would rather have something different to run if I get stuck with 2 Yeti. This build is going to take a couple weeks while I gather up some of the parts missing to complete the truck.

I have a couple STRC parts that I have since swapped out for Vanquish. An aluminum hinge brace/bulkhead is a must on the Yeti. I ordered a set of the Vanquish steering bellcranks for my truck, so I'll be throwing my STRC bellcranks on her truck to go along with the STRC steering rack that I've had, yet never used because I already had the VP rack. I have my old factory shocks to throw on it, but want to replace the seals on them first.

In the rear I'm flipping the housing so I can use the VP front truss I've got already. The lockouts were on my truck for a very short time before swapping to the Axial full width lockouts. I'm going to make my own CF stiffener plates for the lower trailing arms. Already had the MIP driveshaft that is made up from the good spares left over from two kits I've worn out in my truck already. I built an open diff with HD R&P and Acer ceramic bearings that I swapped out for Boca ceramics from my truck along with factory bearings at the hubs. I used the Acers on her truck because this is the only axle driving her truck and it's going to be under higher loads. It shouldn't be all that bad with the lighter weight from being 2WD.

Not sure how it's going to handle with the axle flipped like that? If it's goofy, then I still have the plastic truss I can use and go back to stock. I just want to try out this setup and allow Keira to rock a little VP bling on her Yeti

I have the original Vanguard 3150Kv motor that I'm going to use in it, but no ESC as of now. I sold the neighbor my old ESC after he cooked the ESC on his Slash. I'm going to buy a Tekin RX8 Gen2 for my truck and throw the MMP into Keira's Yeti. Already have a fairly new Venom 50C 5000mah 3 cell pack that she will use in it and the old factory radio setup. She wants a purple Pro-line Raptor body which I'll be painting up soon. Might run the body without the cage to loose even more weight. The cage for the Yeti is pretty heavy and she won't be blasting this thing around at 40mph, so it really won't need it as long as I can mount the Pro-line body without the cage?
Crazykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Project super light 2WD Yeti

The axle flip shouldn't be a problem for handling.
I ran mine 2WD for about 5 minutes... The steering was terrible without the front wheels being driven.some suspension toning might help that.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

All the aftermarket bodies mount directly to the cage, you'll have to come up with some custom rear body posts to mount a body without it.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I like the idea, I've been toying with the idea of a spare parts Yeti for a while. I'll be taking notes.

Not sure why you didn't keep the rear locked? I have a feeling its going to be a very disappointing first drive with just 1 wheel spinning.

Maybe that's just me?
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

At least it will turn better with an open rear diff.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I was tempted to just drop the front driveshaft today in the TT and see how it goes. Should be a ton of fun when its on the ground, hard to say how it will do when its in the air though.
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty1330 View Post
I was tempted to just drop the front driveshaft today in the TT and see how it goes. Should be a ton of fun when its on the ground, hard to say how it will do when its in the air though.
Just pulling the front driveshaft may put unwanted drag on the front wheels. You would still be engaging the front diff- at least while cornering. Pulling the front dogbones as well as the driveshaft would be optimal.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The Yeti needs the front wheels being driven. Most of the weight is up front. You won't have much traction under power.
CamaroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
All the aftermarket bodies mount directly to the cage, you'll have to come up with some custom rear body posts to mount a body without it.
There are actually body post mount holes built into the shock mount cage that stays in place when you remove the body cage.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
am4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

With the diff on the other side, it looks like I might be able to ditch the transfer case if I can come up with a long enough driveshaft ran right to the transmission output shaft.

Yeah Tom, I'm hoping that by ditching all the weight up front that the Yeti will have a more balanced weight distribution. Think about the diff gears bearings and 3 shafts and that is all coming out of the front of the truck. I have some CF tube that I'm going to use to make some super light front links for the truck too.

I need a rear cage and trans then this thing will be a complete roller. Really wish I could fit that 70mm 3700kv LRP 10L into my truck and put the Pro4 HD into this. If the 70mm included the sensor wire jack, then I could pull it off, but I doubt it does.
Crazykev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I actually set my last yeti up to blast the sand dunes in 2wd. I removed everything driveline related in the front end so universals, diff, and front driveshaft. The weigh shavings was pretty substantial believe it or not. I liked how it ran in the sand as it made the front end light and wouldn't push and shovel in the turns. This was with rear paddles and smoothies on the front. If you just remove the driveshaft there is a ton of drag and if your on a low traction surface it's not fun at all. With good shock tuning it is very fun
db450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykev View Post
With the diff on the other side, it looks like I might be able to ditch the transfer case if I can come up with a long enough driveshaft ran right to the transmission output shaft.
Did you ever try removing the transfer case?

That would effectively raise your gear ratio the same amount as running a 29T pinion on the stock drivetrain. It might be a little tough on the motor.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Project super light 2WD Yeti - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Lynx 4S - 4wd to 2wd kissofthegypsy Axial Yeti 9 09-27-2015 02:54 AM
2wd prerunner Yeti? pastimesteve Axial Yeti 5 02-11-2015 05:04 PM