Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Front ring&pinon advice/help, whats your setup?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Default Front ring&pinon advice/help, whats your setup?

What is everyone doing to make their front ring and pinion live longer than a month? I have a fairly modified IFS Wraith that runs the yeti front and cant keep a set of gears alive for very long.
My front is currently axial UD gears, Dlux housing, and silly putty "locker". Truck is powered by MMX and Pro4hd 3000kv and runs on 3s.

I have tried shimming the pinion, shimming the ring gear, bushings, good bearings, cheap bearings, thrust bearing etc etc and its still not what I would consider reliable. Its worse on decel than acceleration, if going forward and jam at speed it skips teeth, and I have had zero issues out of the rear (dlux housing)

I talked to Eric about machining an aluminum diff case, but due to way the aftermarkets are designed, he will have to build a jig and it would be expensive.

thanks,
Mark
jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Front ring&pinon advice/help, whats your setup?

I think your problem ist caused by the ud gear up front. I assume that it's for u4 race or go fast cause of the IFS conv.. Cause the Front is pushed hard by the rear the ud gives Up.

As alloy diff housing there are several options on the market.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

magic, yes a u4 truck. I run under drive in both axles, my logic behind it is the pinion is physically larger and should have greater contact with the ring gear.

As for diff cases the only ones I can find are the ones that split down the center (left and right) vice front to back like stock. I have found the stock inner pinion bearings to fail unless modified to larger size like Eric does over at Dlux. If you know of an aftermarket case that is like stock please let me know and I will get it machined to accept the 5x13 bearing
jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm having similar issues but with the HD axial gears. I think my problem is that I need to loosen up my slipper a bit. I hear my diff(s) grinding when landing jumps.

I've seen helical cut gears for the Slash, but not Axials. That's what we need.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
poohsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just finished all 1500 gates worth of trails at Axialfest with my Yeti. Gearing is Axial HD ring & pinions F&R, stock ratio, with 1million CST diff fluid. Same motor & MMP on 3S. By the time I got half way through Trail D, I was 2wd, since the front ring & pinion had eaten themselves. After swapping the HD gears, it was smooth sailing. I'm also running the SSD 2 spd unit, so I think the low range it provides was a bit of a saving grace as far as gear life was concerned. I tried the silly putty for a bit (pre Axialfest testing) and I think it was just too much. The amount of power/torque being transferred through the front end would lift and carry the front right wheel any time I gave it throttle. Going down to 1 million CST silicon diff fluid seemed to be a bit more forgiving on the differential as a whole, and allowed for a wheel to break loose & spin freely at the absolute last moment, rather than binding up and transferring that load against the ring & pinion teeth.

The way I look at it, I'd rather have a little bit of slip instead of shearing off gear teeth every few runs. Like I said, I knocked out all 10 trails, 1500 gates worth of challenges, and the Yeti made it through. Not entirely the embodiment of finesse getting through stuff, but it made it. (Side note: I started the event still running the standard issue stock ring & pinions, and knew they would most likely become sacrificial parts before I was done. HD gears were in my spares, in anticipation.)
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Front ring&pinon advice/help, whats your setup? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ring & pinion / front gear box rebuild. A few questions. Onewheelsqueel Axial Yeti 14 03-29-2015 09:31 PM
Whats a better setup spdyracer Axial SCX-10 9 09-23-2010 12:30 AM
Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor Miller Time Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 03-01-2008 12:54 PM
front shocks & tummy tuck advice krawlinCJ General Crawlers 1 01-30-2007 05:50 PM