Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Yeti RTR discontinued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Default Yeti RTR discontinued

Axial Racing - Yeti

First the Yeti kit, then the Rock Rey kit, now the RTR. Horizon is killing off all of the IFS solid rear models. :(

Hopefully this means an updated replacement is coming and not that they're just killing this segment all together.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti RTR discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Axial Racing - Yeti

First the Yeti kit, then the Rock Rey kit, now the RTR. Horizon is killing off all of the IFS solid rear models. :(

Hopefully this means an updated replacement is coming and not that they're just killing this segment all together.

the LHS hsan't sold a single yeti or rock ray, I don't then the market is there.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 AM   #3

I don't think the Yeti was ever popular around here. And its issues are well documented so I'm sure that scared at least some people away.

Losi crawlers and go fast vehicles, sadly, never seem that popular because they don't get an aftermarket for some reason. But what most people don't know is that they are great right out of the box. The Rock Rey kit was discontinued and the Baja Rey price was just slashed so it'll be interesting to see what happens with those as well.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

That's too bad. For all the hate the Yeti gets, I actually like mine.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

That's to bad.... I really enjoy my Yeti and like this platform.
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Same here. My Yeti is my favorite RC right now.

What I find interesting is that the IFS solid-rear architecture is getting extremely popular in the "cheap" market. There's a flood of 1/12 models with this setup, as well as the TH clones, the Yeti sized stuff from Redcat/HSP, and now a size right between the TH & Yeti from Exceed. There's also the UDR and the 1/6 Rock Rey.
There's clearly an interest in this type of platform. Hopefully Axial will lead Axial to come out with a Yeti 2, but my gut tells me that if they did that it would have been announced before dumping the current model.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 12-27-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I’ve always wanted a Yeti and finally bought a new kit yesterday. I'm a big fan of the ifs/solid rear vehicles and a Trophy Truck is next on my list.
rsb5772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Hopefully aftermarket parts dont phase out..... even though there isn't much left stock on this truck...
Oxide80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I don't see the yeti listed in axial site anymore. If this is really true, it's a sad day than. I have loved my yeti and it's one of the project that's still on going for me. Hope there will still be aftermarket support for it still. I know it shares some of the same stuff as the bomber so that's a good thing. Who knows maybe they will come out with a second addition/updated.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:40 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I’ve never really enjoyed my Yeti. Just don’t have the terrain for it I suppose.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I’ve never really enjoyed my Yeti. Just don’t have the terrain for it I suppose.
I suppose you need the right environment for it. I have a bunch of trails that are too mild for my crawlers to be fun on, but are not anywhere near appropriate for my bashers. My Yeti is the perfect solution for those places.

This video is a good example of where the Yeti shines
https://youtu.be/PRTCR42yw0A
Old 01-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

My Yeti is my favorite. Took some work to get it there though.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have a Yeti TT RTR that now sits as a shelf queen. Once I got my Baja Rey it was never run again. It broke too easy and was too slow for it's intended use.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I have a Yeti TT RTR that now sits as a shelf queen. Once I got my Baja Rey it was never run again. It broke too easy and was too slow for it's intended use.
Did you run it on 2s or 3s? I have a 3000kv motor in mine, and on 3S it's as fast as I could want. Anywhere flat enough for me to go WOT is likely too flat for me to want to use the Yeti instead a different basher anyway.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Did you run it on 2s or 3s? I have a 3000kv motor in mine, and on 3S it's as fast as I could want. Anywhere flat enough for me to go WOT is likely too flat for me to want to use the Yeti instead a different basher anyway.
I maxed out the pinion size as described on Axial's website (21 tooth I think, not sure) and ran it on 3S. I think it was barely as fast as my Baja Rey on 2s.

It bent lower a-arm pivot bolts like it was its job, bent both rear lower trailing arms (plastic RTR)and destroyed the driveshaft because you had to jump WOT and hold it until you landed just to keep the nose up. I drive at what I think is a reasonable speed and keep the jumps sane. We are talking no more than 2 feet off the ground max.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I think this is very true with any truck. Having the right terrain for any truck makes the world of difference.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

My old Yeti had a Pro4HD 2500kv on 4S and it felt like a slug even though the gearing calc said it should hit close to 30 mph.

My Yeti TT kit is still sealed in the box, that will probably get a Holmes 3500kv motor on 4S when I get around to building it. Can't have a trophy truck feeling as slow as a regular Yeti.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I maxed out the pinion size as described on Axial's website (21 tooth I think, not sure) and ran it on 3S. I think it was barely as fast as my Baja Rey on 2s.

It bent lower a-arm pivot bolts like it was its job, bent both rear lower trailing arms (plastic RTR)and destroyed the driveshaft because you had to jump WOT and hold it until you landed just to keep the nose up. I drive at what I think is a reasonable speed and keep the jumps sane. We are talking no more than 2 feet off the ground max.
I've never driven a Rock Rey, so I can't compare, but it sounds like you wanted a Slash, not a Yeti. Geared up that much on 3S should put you well into 35-40mph territory. If those are the sort of speeds you're after, the Yeti seems like the wrong vehicle choice to me.

A-arm hinge pins are a problem for sure, but there are well-documented fixes for that issue. The twisty trailing arms, well, that's Axial plastics for you. I replaced my trailing arms before I even drove the truck. Legit issues for sure, but both are easily overcome.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 01-02-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've never driven a Rock Rey, so I can't compare, but it sounds like you wanted a Slash, not a Yeti. Geared up that much on 3S should put you well into 35-40mph territory. If those are the sort of speeds you're after, the Yeti seems like the wrong vehicle choice to me.

A-arm hinge pins are a problem for sure, but there are well-documented fixes for that issue. The twisty trailing arms, well, that's Axial plastics for you. I replaced my trailing arms before I even drove the truck. Legit issues for sure, but both are easily overcome.
I wanted a scale trophy truck, I already had a slash and didn't care for it. My Baja Rey would easily do 30 mph on 2S.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

My Yeti with HH Puller Pro 3500 xl on 3s is easily a 35 mph plus rig. As it sits now it is more than a match for the majority of the Rock Rey's out there and is now very tough but I have probably double the money in it and there isn't much of the original Yeti left. If not for the fact that I like modifying them as much as I do running them I would not have done it plus the Rock Rey wasn't out when I got my Yeti.

Last edited by Rumpelhardt; 01-03-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti RTR discontinued - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti Jr discontinued? singletracksean Axial Yeti 7 08-01-2018 04:24 PM
Yeti RR Kit discontinued? soze Axial Yeti 6 05-28-2018 05:07 AM