Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA Championship Series > AZ Summer Shootout by NARCCA

Notices

Thread: NARCCA 2013 Summer Shootout June 7-9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 08:21 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: NARCCA 2013 Summer Shootout June 7-9

has any major event thought of running the supers on friday?

running supers friday when shaftys are running would be cool and maybe set a new trend. if at a major comp there are only 10 - 15 supers why wait till sunday to run'em, lets do it friday,I want to run my super but really need to leave early sunday.

just asking.
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #82
RcBros Hobbies

I'd rather 1.9's Friday and sporty supers Sunday.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #83
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I'd rather 1.9's Friday and sporty supers Sunday.
That would get me motivated to finish my 1.9 and run it. I'm still on the fence about running a second class for this comp.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
That would get me motivated to finish my 1.9 and run it. I'm still on the fence about running a second class for this comp.
why do sport rigs need to be run on friday anyways, why not 1.9 and supers , leave those shaftys for sunday.

Last edited by big dude; 04-07-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #85
Its a HARDKNOCKZ Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dude View Post
why do sport need to ran on friday anyways, why not 1.9 and supers , leave those shaftys for sunday.
Well Chaz...I think it started out this way because the 2.2s class WAS the smaller class of most events so starting around noon on Friday left plenty of time to finish while allowing people to come into town that day instead of a day early.

Now that 2.2s is growing & will likely have more drivers than Super & 1.9 in most events, I don't see why running minis & supers Friday & sportys on Sunday would be an issue. Of course...it's probably going to vary from event to event based on what the organizers feel will work best overall.

J.D.
HARDKNOCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

I'm open to ideas. if we were to change it sporty sunday and 1.9/super friday would be the best I think, looking at the entrys so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
nappahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #87
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappahdog View Post
I'm open to ideas. if we were to change it sporty sunday and 1.9/super friday would be the best I think, looking at the entrys so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
If you make 1.9/supers for Friday. I will throw my entry in for 1.9.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

I so want to run my super,also would run my mini if we could do it on friday,I just can't leave arizona sunday afternoon.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

People still have 1.9 comp trucks?
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #90
RCC Addict

I would run 1.9 late Friday. That gives people who want to run them time to get into AZ, and those who do not time to travel. Run Super and 2.2s Sunday morning, just make any driver who is running both, run supers first. Open up all the courses, and once the supers are done the super judges can relieve and get 2.2s finished. Get everyone done by 1pm if we have a 6am start. It should be daylight by then. Otherwise a late start means keeping people all day Sunday, and unless you have a 2 hour drive, will suck.

I think with some cooperation, you could actually run super and 2.2 pro the same day. With the limited number of supers, they could be in the mix Saturday. Do as I said before, make anyone running both run super first , open all the courses ( 2 judges on 2.2, 1 on super ) , and once the supers are done let them join the 2.2 pro along with the super judges.

Still run the 1.9 on friday, and then Sunday could be 2.2s only. Still start early and get everyone back on the road by 1pm.

I would also make sure to assign courses on the score cards. Number them randomly and make everyone spread out and run the courses in numbered order. If you start on 1, finish on 5, start on 3 finish on 2 ( 3-4-5-1-2). It would keep large groups with 40 spotters for each driver split up, and keep everyone from swarming one course while others sit empty for most of the day then get swamped at the end. Also limit the drivers to 1 spotter. The judges should not have to fight their way through the crowds on the course they will ultimately have to run 30-60 times.

I know it is tough because everyone wants to watch, but if we set things up right, and keep things moving it should go smooth. Have a start box, and a on deck box. When the driver leaves ,the next guy up moves his car, plugs it in, gets himself situated. That way the judge can get him going as soon as there is room enough to. I really don't think judges should have to wait on drivers. Have your shit together so everyone can get their turn.

Last edited by The Violator; 04-07-2013 at 11:27 PM.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #91
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post

I would also make sure to assign courses on the score cards. Number them randomly and make everyone spread out and run the courses in numbered order. If you start on 1, finish on 5, start on 3 finish on 2 ( 3-4-5-1-2). It would keep large groups with 40 spotters for each driver split up, and keep everyone from swarming one course while others sit empty for most of the day then get swamped at the end. Also limit the drivers to 1 spotter. The judges should not have to fight their way through the crowds on the course they will ultimately have to run 30-60 times.

I know it is tough because everyone wants to watch, but if we set things up right, and keep things moving it should go smooth. Have a start box, and a on deck box. When the driver leaves ,the next guy up moves his car, plugs it in, gets himself situated. That way the judge can get him going as soon as there is room enough to. I really don't think judges should have to wait on drivers. Have your shit together so everyone can get their turn.
great points....assigned courses, 1 spotter, deck box
.....are you there to drive or watch?
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Great ideas violator , Being a Judge at WCS I was able to see most of these issues first hand, I'd have somebody that was supposed to be plugged in and ready to go spotting the guys in front of them and it was negating the point of having multiple judges on course.

The groups of 10 spotting each other was also a huge issue, making it hard for the drivers and the judges when everybody's yelling out different things. We are all here to drive for ourselves, we compete against each other at home and it should be the same at any event.

We will be assigning courses to drivers at random as violator suggested . We will "ask" judges to "ask" drivers who their one spotter is then the judges will have to "ask" everybody else to get off the course and out of the way (watch from a distance if you must). this will give the spotter time to look at the course for themselves up close before they run. example: (driver 1 runs with driver 3 spotting, driver one finishes and driver 3 is plugs in to wait for driver 2) if that makes sense.

AS FOR THE SCHEDULE

there is a new thread/poll about the scheduling, I would like everybody's input

Last edited by nappahdog; 04-09-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #93
RCC Addict

there is three of us that wants to come down butt we run as a team and drive together. would be hard to split us up and spot for each other butt i think we can work it out.
donzx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #94
RcBros Hobbies

Sounds like we are still in the discussion phases of things. With that said I would like to throw in my 2cents.

I usually crawl with the same 5-6 guys at each comp. Not only do I attend these for the thrill of competing, but also to hang out with those I've come to meet from the hobby. We have the system down pretty well. The 6 of us usually stagger our cars with other competitors or ourselves to ensure we each have a spotter for one another. No not 5 guys watching one car, usually one or two, but we do travel from course to course. Looking for the fastest line and alternating who goes first. Having this system makes sure we are plugged in and have a spotter.

We're all adults, and its not rocket science, there is no excuse for those who can't manage there time wisely. If a cutoff is set, and they don't make it. Well that's sucks to be them.

The last three national comps we have been done with at least 1.5 hours of time left before the cut off with plenty of time to spare. I see it all the time guys waiting last minute to run or not using there time wisely. Whatever the reason, they know they are doing it. I also judged at these events and if you tell someone to jump in line, they usually do it, if someone is in my way, I tell them to move. I have never seen a spectator get mad from a judge asking them to step aside. If you don't want to have to ask for people to move, then make it clear to them at the start if each competitor.

My "spotter" is usually a coach more then a spotter. I do the driving and when I'm struggling or not thinking clearly they put me in check. In the end, the driver has the remote. To be told where to go, when to go, and who to go with kind of takes the whole reason some attend the comps out of the equation. I tend to finish early to watch others drive to see how they negotiate what I already did to learn new techniques.

The key is having small "groups" not 15 guys. Stop running in a particular order just because that course has sand, water or bushes getting mowed down. Go to the shortest line, put your big boy pants on and do work. Your lunch can wait, bring your batteries with you, and if your buddy breaks, don't wait all day for him.

Set a time line, have smooth running courses and confident judges the event will run smoothly. the only thing I can honestly say could use help with from comp to comp is making a set line. How many times have you heard, where does the line start? Also, how many times have you set your rig down when no cars were present, turn around, and your 4 cars behind

Last edited by RcBro; 04-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #95
Y-Town Crawlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
Ticket purchased. Now maybe some of the CA crew will start to commit. C'mon fellas!

J
Alright... you talked me into it
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #96
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The only time I was to a comp with an assigned course, it was the slowest moving comp I have ever been to. There were 2 open courses that I tried to go to out of order because there was no line at all. They would not let me run out of order so I went and stood back I dont know how many people and waited I dont know how long.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #97
D-Wray 4 Prez!

I am always the first driver to run at least one course. (Break the course cherry) Because 90% of the drivers NEEDED to see someone run before they could.
Shoooot, I paid my fees, I drove/flew many hours to get there, I brought my rig, why fawking wait to crawl! That's why you're there isn't it.
And at this comp, I will be one to run a course first...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

Well. Knowing what we all do i'm more than sure we can figure it out as we go. I am not going to force anybody to be a stickler about anything but the rules and i do realize there are going to be groups of three or four on the course because they are just there to have fun together. Just be ready to go when its your turn and keep the massive groups down. alternate. find the course that's open and jump in. the judges will take it from there.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

The West Coast Shootout was my first major comp and when I heard there was a time limit to finish all the courses. I started with the course with the shortest line and worked them from that point. I did have a few waits, but nothing that I was worried about.
I did have one course that when I was in line a few Judges took their runs before me. So I just had to wait, no big deal. I really enjoyed to whole comp and looking forward to the next one. I thank everyone that made my first comp in five years a great one

Rob
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

We have tried the assigned course thing at several Nationals and from first hand knowledge it doesnt seem to be a good solution. The best solution that ive seen is to make sure that drivers know that they have 30 sec to be ready when the judge steps up and the time starts---end of story. If someone isnt in line "in the box" when the judge comes back he picks the next closet guy and he has 30 sec to be ready to go. At the end of the 30 sec course time starts. Burn all the time you want to get ready, as its the drivers time and not the judges or the comp organizers. Its a flawless system that leaves the responsiblity on the drivers. At Nationals(Vegas) a few guys bitched about it, but it was just because they where dinkin around to much and not paying attention.

Ive been on both sides of the fence (judge/driver) with the above mentioned system and feel that it is one of the better solutions that forces the drivers to stay focused and leaves the judges to doing what they do---watching the clock and calling penalties.

The other way to ensure you are finished by a certain time is to set a finish cut-off. All courses to be closed at said time.

Im more than happy to help you figure that out with driver numbers ect. Its a simple formula!!

I-like William love getting to hang out and run with friends that I don't normally get to comp with. That is half the fun!
Just my .02 (from someone thats had alot of experience with comp schedules)

Last edited by SDS Customz; 04-09-2013 at 07:33 PM.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote

NARCCA 2013 Summer Shootout June 7-9 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 NARCCA summer shootout grand prize giveaway build from Y-TOWN CRAWLERS krawlfreak EnRoute Berg 61 06-15-2010 01:54 PM
NARCCA AZ Summer Shootout Results winkscrawler Competition Results 0 06-08-2010 05:45 PM
NARCCA 2010 summer shootout grand prize giveaway build krawlfreak Arizona 2 04-07-2010 06:30 PM
Arizona Summer Shootout! Parc, Narcca, Sarcca. rockwerks Arizona 133 07-30-2008 10:59 PM