Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: good beginner heli?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default good beginner heli?

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a cheap helicopter. I don't want to spend much on one but I'd like a decent heli, I have been looking at the e-flite blades, especially because I think that's mostly what my LHS carries. I don't know a dang thing about helis! I know they are a biotch to fly but I've been practicing on my realflight and want the real thing. what are your suggestions for a good beginner heli?
TOYUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Can't go wrong with the Blade CX2
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I just picked a blade up this weekend, really happy with it so far. the one big downside is the non-folding blades, buy a LOT of spares, you will need them. Luckily blades are cheap, and if you want, there are ways to get folding blades. The radio is great.

Another good few upgrades is a carbon tail boom (especially if you're going outdoors) and a better lipo.

One last thing, see if you can get your LHS to open it up and set it up for you, learning to fly is so much easier if you don't have to simultaneously learn to set it up properly.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ya the blade seemed like a good "bang for the buck", thanks for the advice. So is it worth it to get a better model of them? Also why the carbon boom for outdoors?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
06 Super National Champ

The microheli folding blades for the CX2 are horrible...I tried them and the heli wouldn't fly with them on.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

Blade CX or CX2 is the way to go for a beginner heli. These things don't really fly well outside. If you do........NO WIND!
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Cx2
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Crap, I would only fly outside so... is there another heli that is reasonably priced that is flyable outside? I know most r/c air anything doesn't like much wind at all but it seems like there's always a LITTLE breeze! I like the package of the blades but maybe something a little bigger/heavier would be better outdoors?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
RCC Addict

my 2 cents as a previous cx2 owner, buy some flight sim software.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYUTAH View Post
Crap, I would only fly outside so... is there another heli that is reasonably priced that is flyable outside? I know most r/c air anything doesn't like much wind at all but it seems like there's always a LITTLE breeze! I like the package of the blades but maybe something a little bigger/heavier would be better outdoors?
agreed to step up to a real heli and fly out side (trex 450 or eflite 400) you would need alot of sim time first, and alot more money
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ok well i flew a cx2 type heli on the sim and it was alright, i like the whole idea of a 3d heli but im nowhere near ready! haha they're way to tough for me and a lot more than i want to spend! ok so guys do you think a cx2 would be worth the $180?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

absolutly, my dad LOVES his, and if you choose your days, you can fly outside no problem (no wind)
we put lights and strobes on dads to do some night flying, cool, and usually alot less wind
Old 02-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
RCC Addict

They are tough to find now but I started with a LMH Corona. It's bigger than a T-Rex, Fixed pitch, and takes a beating. I crashed mine several times with minimal damage. They used to be real popular with a ton of after market parts available but have grown harder to get. They pop up on Ebay and Rcgroups all the time though. Most of all practice, lots of time on a simulator will help. I gave up on Helis too much money and too much time needed to get any good at it. I'll stick to my cheap foamies when I want to hit the air.
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have a CX2 and I love it. I'm glad I started out with it and I may eventually go with something bigger/harder like a 3d. But for now, I'm perfectly happy buzzing around the house.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

ill have to take a look at that one 4u2nv, ya i think ill have to wait for calm days to fly it, our house is way too cluttered and i would have to kill myself if i took out the TV or something with it. haha i think ill get some neon stuff for it too if i get the cx2 also.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

ive got a e-flite blade, its soooo much fun, perfect for first heli, i never fly mine indoors, 1:to crowded, 2:the thing doesnt always stay still when hovering, and 3: cause i dont want to break anything.. i always fly it outside, its amazing in no wind, and it still does decent with a little breeze, just gotta know how to control it, i had mine about 30 feet in the air, trying to see how high i can get it, and a gust came and lost control, put throttle back in normal spot, hit a bush, good to go A+ on them..
RcFanatic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #17

You will be very happy with the CX2.. It was my first heli and I donno what I would have dont without it. I have owned bigger birds(Kyosho Concept .30, flown a Trex450, own a Revo CP, and a SJM400 kit..) and I must say that the CX2 helped me out alot. Happy flying!
clod freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:39 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

so whats everyones oppinion on the cp vs the cx2? the kid at my lhs said the cp are hard to fly, but arent they a little more advanced? arent they a 3d heli? the cx2 sounds awesome but if its anything like the copy in the simulator i could see myself getting bored! In the sim it only went about as fast as my crawler.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I love my CX2. Now on the CP......the owner of an LHS here talked me out of even thinking about a Blade CP Pro....I haven't very many good things about it, ever. What I've heard is that with all the money you'll spend on it with upgrades, you'd be better off spending a little more for a larger bird. It seems that the world of RC helis has exploded lately, there are tons of choices out there. Just remember that the larger the heli, the more stable it will be. But larger helis, especially electric ones, are considerably more expensive. I once had a T-Rex 450 SE. Now I have a Raptor Titan 50......and of course, my CX2. My $.02
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #20
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the CP is shit DO NOT BUY at tail motored bird.
i owned a CP Pro. sold it very quickly.
it will never trim right(the tail) and it didnt hover well at all. but mostly i hated the tail never being in trim and the random boom swings in normal flight.