Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: pistol shooter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

cz guns are awesome! but the 1911 style just isnt rugged enough i dont think. i do lots of bow fishing and i take my xd's with me and they handle the wet conditions, falling in the mud and dirt, all sorts of stuff.

anyway, heres the story!

Im on my way with my mom and a friend to go shoot the xd45 and a mill spec 45 by SA. I get a call from the local shop and they said my XDm had arrived. So we turned around, went and picked it up. I had already had a case of S&W .40 ready for when it arrived. We loaded up and went to shoot!

First impressions of the gun were very good. Everything fit in the case nice, and the finish on the gun was top notch. The case is also nothing like what youde expect. You can actually use this case, keep all the components in it and take it to the range. The gun and clip holster that come with the gun are ok, they will do what i need but nothing for conceal carry. (guns kind of big for conceal carry anyway) They are however adjustable, you can change how tight they hold the gun and clips. The "speed loader" is cool, but you can load the clip just as fast with out it.

Ok, onto shooting report.

As i said, we are shooting 3 guns. 1 SA 1911 Mill Spec, 1 SA xd45, and 1 SA XDm in a 40.

The 1911 is just accurate, theres no arguing that. Its a very nice shooting gun. To my suprise though, the XDm was JUST as accurate. In some cases more so. We were drilling holes at 10 yards with both guns. The XD 45 doesnt really hang in this department. Its a very good shooting gun but the M is in my opinion a much better shooter. Shooting, the XDm can hang!
Even shooting at 25 and 30 yards, it was suprisingly accurate.

Recoil, the XDm was lowest of all and VERY managable. Seems to fall right back on target.

Noise, its loud!

Trigger, it is said to have a shorter reset than the original xd, but i couldnt tell. It is very predictable, and consistent though. Real smooth pull.

You no longer have to pull the trigger to get the slide off anymore. So breaking it down is alittle easier and safer.

Ive read a lot where people complained about the clip being hard to eject when its full. I disagree with this. Its not as easy as the 1911 with its full clip, but the XDm feels right. Its tough, but you wouldnt accidently do it if you needed to draw the gun quick. Its very doable with one hand.

All in all, this is an awesome gun! The new barrel, makes it very accurate and its weight makes it feel very balanced in your hand. Im pleased with the differences that SA did to an already great gun!

WTG Springfield!

Pics....

all these pics are after shooting 183 shots.

Last edited by johnathanlopez; 08-04-2008 at 05:28 PM.
johnathanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #22
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanlopez View Post
hurm... crazy. i do lots of distance shooting with my 45. im suprised that .357 sig wasnt accurate seeing as the ballistics of the .357 sig are amazing! ill see how this xdm does though... this will be my first .40
I have 2 .357 sig's both Glocks. For someone to say they are not accurate is just crazy or doesn't know how to shoot! I've been shooting in the GSSF for 10+ years with 6 1st place finishes in my class. For the past 3 years it's been with the .357 sig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard017 View Post
ggrant it, it was a nice peice, but i like a pistol to shoot good at any rage out to 40 yards, past 25 i felt it wasnt as accurate as it shouldve been, when i was 17 i had a p89 ruger 9mm and i couls hit the green pole on a county road sign at 45 yards, so ruger is close to the top in my book, i had it till i traded it for my sig, for like 7 or 8 years it never jammed one time
There is a huge weight difference between the Ruger and the Glock. That 9mm Ruger has next to no recoil, now the .357 sig has a nice little pop and alot lower weight. There are other factors like grain of ammo you are shooting, stance, trigger pull (LBS), outside conditions, ect....And for the country sign thing, most competition shooters do not shoot 135ft targets!!!!! And "Jamming" is a matter of keeping you gun cleaned, type of ammo, and limp wresting! I think you are talking about something you have little knowledge of. Go practice some more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
benttoy's comment didn't seem to be based on experience.

But, based on my own personal experience, a Glock is too light and doesn't feel right. A plastic pistol with a metal barrel? Throws the balance off. You can have it.

I looked and looked at Glocks as well as the Springfields. Between the two I was considering a Glock (didn't like the grip and trigger safety on the XDs).

When I got to Florida and talked to my brother-in-law, he gave me his P229 so I didn't end up with a Glock.
The 229 is a nice gun. But there is a big $$$ difference from the 229 to the Glock! And yes the triggers can be tricky at first, but after a few hundred rounds you will get the hang of it....Last thought......The XD's are good for the $$$ but they are WAAAAYYYY over rated! Almost every company but the Sigs have borrowed or copied Glock in one way or the other! NUF SAID!!!!!!!!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

i didnt say the .357 sig was inaccurate, i was suprised that someone else had said it. the .357sig is an awesome round! in fact i almost got one in a sig instead of this XDm, but cannot buy .357 sig in bulk around here.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
i didnt say the .357 sig was inaccurate, i was suprised that someone else had said it. the .357sig is an awesome round! in fact i almost got one in a sig instead of this XDm, but cannot buy .357 sig in bulk around here.
From what I see at the range, the .357 Sig's sharp, snappy recoil and loud CRACK is what causes many people to have issues. It causes flinching on follow up shots as well has problems with a steady hold. You might say you don't flinch and that might be true but watch other people with them ;) Give the same person a 9mm and the problems go away. What happens is people try them once or twice and call the round or gun inaccurate. IMHO, a .40SW has all the power I need in a carry gun. I don't need the extra noise and recoil. If I have to defend myself, I probably won't have my muffs on
FL Knifemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #25

Hey, new member here awesome forum with boatloads of info, been into RC prob 8 years, but never crawling, looking to pick up an axial soon... but i saw this section and HAD to post

some range pics

and my recently acquired ccwpiece

OH YEAH! I also skeet!

pic i took of my friend

I have 4pistols now, and 2 .22rifles and a 12 and 20 ga for skeet getting more all the time, if anyone wants any nice pics let me know custom 1911 is on a 8 month wait, and maybe an AR build within a few months.
kirktcashalini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #26
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
From what I see at the range, the .357 Sig's sharp, snappy recoil and loud CRACK is what causes many people to have issues. It causes flinching on follow up shots as well has problems with a steady hold. You might say you don't flinch and that might be true but watch other people with them ;) Give the same person a 9mm and the problems go away. What happens is people try them once or twice and call the round or gun inaccurate. IMHO, a .40SW has all the power I need in a carry gun. I don't need the extra noise and recoil. If I have to defend myself, I probably won't have my muffs on
(I know you already know this but...)

The .357SIG has a louder "BANG" because the round is exiting the muzzle at a higher velocity than that of the .40 or 9mm.

That means less recoil (muzzle rise) from the round being fired before the round leaves the barrel.

If you shoot a .40 the recoil has a greater effect on round placement due to the fact that the muzzle will have risen more by the time the round exits the barrel.

The P229 is heavier at the muzzle than any Glock too. Higher chamber pressures, higher velocity, heavier pistol.

If you have to defend yourself, you won't give a shit about hearing, just saving your ass. You won't be able to hear if you're dead anyway.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirktcashalini View Post
New here
Where do you shoot in CT?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #28

I live in Glastonbury, where the CT DEP has a public range where those few pictures were from, where you can shoot form 17hmr to .50BMG... ummm there is a local indoor range I am going to be a member on as of this Thursday, which i cant wait for... going to get into a bullseye league (why I bought the s&w model 41 for) keeping iron sights til I can shoot 280 solid. then getting some nice gear for it (I am only 23), all the old guys I know who have been doing it for 30+ years I am listening to, they say stay iron sights for a while (thank god i got 20/13 vision last time i was tested haha) then getting a Rock River 1911 for the .45 and center fire hopefully my second season.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #29
06 Super National Champ

Ah.

On the trips I've taken up there I've always seen the range there in Ridgefield.

Never stopped by, though.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #30

best hobby ever with most friendly people (sorry RC lol)

I have been involved in RC for like 8 years (used to on road race BIG TIME) now just do it for fun, and BIG race events (like 18scale nats I did this year for fun)...

Umm, but pistol and skeet especially, everyone wants to help everyone, and let everyone try their guns, I have probably tried 5 different peoples guns (some three guns) within one weekend, and just a general BLAST! nothings more fun than that in my opinion.

hey! anyone reload!?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
(I know you already know this but...)

The .357SIG has a louder "BANG" because the round is exiting the muzzle at a higher velocity than that of the .40 or 9mm.

That means less recoil (muzzle rise) from the round being fired before the round leaves the barrel.

If you shoot a .40 the recoil has a greater effect on round placement due to the fact that the muzzle will have risen more by the time the round exits the barrel.

The P229 is heavier at the muzzle than any Glock too. Higher chamber pressures, higher velocity, heavier pistol.

If you have to defend yourself, you won't give a shit about hearing, just saving your ass. You won't be able to hear if you're dead anyway.
I keeeed, I keeeeeeeeeeeeed!! :-P

No matter how you look at it, hear or feel it, the sig round is less pleasant to shoot. That's my point. They tend to leave the average shooter flinching and undsteady. With practice most can overcome it but many don't give them enough time. When I shot my 45-70 Contender, I was ruined for the rest of the day no matter what I shot
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #32
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
I keeeed, I keeeeeeeeeeeeed!! :-P

No matter how you look at it, hear or feel it, the sig round is less pleasant to shoot. That's my point. They tend to leave the average shooter flinching and undsteady. With practice most can overcome it but many don't give them enough time. When I shot my 45-70 Contender, I was ruined for the rest of the day no matter what I shot
Cool, I see your point.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

yeah i agree... first shot is always most accurate! hahaha everything there after is anticipated and shot low...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

but either way i love my xd's!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Default Kimbers Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
I personally am a huge fan of the 1911 style pistols myself. I own about 6 kimber pistols and a slue of highly modified colt 1911 style pistols also. And they are all chambered for the 45ACP expect for my race guns that are 38super to cut back on recoil.
The 45 has to be the best all around hand gun there is
I bought a Kimber Super Match a couple of years ago. Gun is amazing! I also shoot a Smith and Wesson model 52 and a model 41.
Jeeper_05's Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by procoast View Post
I bought a Kimber Super Match a couple of years ago. Gun is amazing! I also shoot a Smith and Wesson model 52 and a model 41.
Any good, hand tuned 1911 variant with good sights, should be very accurate. I often shoot with two older gentlman that have been "Bullseye" shooters since the 60's. It's amazing what they can do with a simply modified and tuned 1911!
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard017 View Post
i had a SAXD in the 357 sig, hated it, buy a ruger or h&k
Rugers are junk. Thats what we have here at work for duty carry. They misfeed all the time. New used, clean, dirty. Deoesn't matter JUNK all the way around. H&K's are nice. MP5 H&K's very nice. Springfield XD's are nice. I carry a Sig 9mm for work instead of the Ruger. But for the money you can't go wrong with a XD. But if you double your dough. Get a Sig.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Whats that? Are you poor thumbs sore....:-(
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Any good, hand tuned 1911 variant with good sights, should be very accurate. I often shoot with two older gentlman that have been "Bullseye" shooters since the 60's. It's amazing what they can do with a simply modified and tuned 1911!
I shoot a Kimber Tactical Custom II (my dads) for IDPA and love it, its a tack driver out of the box. I'm getting one of my own here in about a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Whats that? Are you poor thumbs sore....:-(
Go through 400-500 rounds in a single morning your thumbs will be sore.

Last edited by BUBBA069; 08-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I have one serious 1911. It's basically an alloy framed Para P-14 with Chip McCormick EVERYTHING on it and a Bar-Sto barrel. I'll try to find a pic