Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat
Loading

Notices

Thread: COG ?? You mean CG?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default COG ?? You mean CG?

Why does the RC crawling community refer to "center of gravity" as COG, instead of CG like everyone else? COG is a tooth on a gear, or what an electric motor does when it "jerks". Since we have both gears and electric motors that we deal with on RC crawlers, it seems like it would make sense to use the term CG to avoid confusion. I know this is being anal, but I was just wondering how this got started. If you were to tell someone you were from the United States of America, would you say "I'm from the USOA"?

Last edited by crud; 08-08-2008 at 10:23 AM.
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 441
Default

You're right,crud. But trying to teach 100's of newbies the proper terms is a very large task. Good Luck !
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: no more lockers
Posts: 400
Default

because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess.

it is a commonly used term

yes cog is a tooth of a gear ,in this hobby everyone says tooth of a gear lol

maybe they should change the term for when a brushless motor cog's to something like stalls
BoNuS LiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In A Nut Shell
Posts: 626
Default

heres an idea

who cares as long as we know what their talking about

tamato tomato
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Moderator
 
whoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Texas baby!
Posts: 1,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNuS LiNe View Post
because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess...
Nope, its CG everywhere else.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoNuS LiNe View Post
because the rest of the motorsports industry uses the term cog would be my guess.
Not true.
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Freak View Post
heres an idea

who cares as long as we know what their talking about

tamato tomato
It's not a huge deal. I was just wondering, so I thought I'd ask.
I do have another question: If someone doesn't care about a thread, why would they post in it?
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bryant, AR
Posts: 463
Default

It is weird. It is usually easy to tell what the person is talking about thought. COG could mean a number of things, as can CG. As for Cogging reffering to brushless motors stalling, from what I have learned that is an incorrect term also. The studdering when the motor stalls is just that, stalling. Cogging is when you spin the motor by hand and you feel the bumpy resistance in it (like spinning a brushed motor).
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default

I can always tell what someone is referring to, so I guess it's a non issue. I was just stating something I noticed, because I'm bored at work. I Didn't mean to stirr the pot. I am new to the RC world, so I am by no means an expert. I have just been around 1:1 crawlers a little, and been around drag racing my whole life, and have always heard everyone refer to it as CG. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! I love this site, and have probably learned a lot from the people who are using the COG term! It may not be incorrect. I've just never seen it used before.
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lagrange
Posts: 261
Default

cg means computer generated and cog means center of gravity
SuperBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 137
Default

The problem has arisen from the fact that one correct abbreviation for Centre of Gravity is CoG wit ha lowercase 'o'. Lowercase 'o' is often used in acronyms to represent 'of' so CoG is correct, technically. The problem is some people don't understand the importance of the case of the letters, either because school didn't tach them that or that they think they know, or assume they know, better. Some people seem think acronym = capitals letters. Incorrect. Acronyms are abbreviations made using the initial letter of each word. If that letter is lower case, as 'of' is, then it STAYS lower case.

CG and CoG are correct acronyms of 'Centre of Gravity'. COG is bloody wrong, got it? ;)

I agree that as long as everyone understands each other we are okay, but I thought I'd point out just why it's ended up being typed wrong so many times.

DISCLAIMER: If you are in any way offended by this post or my tone then please plant your head in a bucket of iced water, count to 10 and then dry yourself off and come to your senses. I'm only joking around
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pacific Ocean
Posts: 2,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crud View Post
I do have another question: If someone doesn't care about a thread, why would they post in it?
Well, since we are being "anal", he did not say that he did not care about the thread, only that he did not care how someone abbreviated something as long as you knew what they were referring to.

...and you are correct that CG is the defined abbreviation.
dpdsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBad View Post
cg means computer generated and cog means center of gravity
So if I was using Auto-cad to find my center of gravity on my old Jimmy, my result would be my GMCCGCoG.
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: all over
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpdsurf View Post
Well, since we are being "anal", he did not say that he did not care about the thread, only that he did not care how someone abbreviated something as long as you knew what they were referring to.
I realized that after my comment. I was hoping no one would notice.
crud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,027
Default

chit chat.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a basement in Kalispell, MT
Posts: 857
Default

If you're gonna be a tightwad, shouldn't it be C.O.G. or C.G.?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Grand Junction
Posts: 91
Default

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics refers to it as CG.
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!
 
badger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 11,402
Default

Is COG important in bed?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VARCOR
Posts: 1,826
Default

Actually, in reference to reading posts on the forum, I like the term COG better because it easily stands out from GC, which is often used here also.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #20
TEAM MODERATOR
 
Reflection's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 10,853
Default

I prefer "center of gravity" or "ground clearance" over COG or GC because typing out letters in place of properly typed words shows laziness. Just like everyone using instant messaging shorthand. Laziness,thats all it is.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com