Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Cool motorcycle I saw today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbeater View Post
Sorry your wrong. It was the "Chopper Motorcycle" that started in the late 40's. They took off the saddle bags, front fender, heavy springs and shocks. Any thing to to lighten the bike. most of the time they justed chopped the unwanted parts off. Hence the name "Chopper"
The "Bobbers" started in the early 50's with guys bobbing (cutting) the rear fender, fuel tanks and front forks. The modern day "chopper" started in late 50's-60's by changing the forks and cutting the frame to change the rake of the forks.

Well, agree to disagree...
slolx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
This might be the first "Bobber" I've seen with a V-twin I've liked.

Bobbers were always meant to be old Nortons, Triumphs and BSA's, all these new Harley idiots are screwing up the good old "Bobber" looks.
Guess I'm one of those idiots...
Attached Images

Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, me to...

Old 09-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

anthony your bike looks sweet. you will have to ride that to an upcoming comp. so i can check it out.
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Bobbers are also Rigid rear suspensions, so you both don't even own Bobbers. Plus the amount of chrome on those bikes is more chopper than old school Bobber.

A Bobber is a style of custom motorcycle that took shape in the 1950s and continues to be built today. Bobbers are related to choppers in that they both represent a minimalistic approach where everything is stripped from a bike that is not readily needed. This includes the characteristic rigid frame and shortened ("bobbed") rear fender.

The principle difference between bobbers and choppers is that bobbers are typically built around unmodified frames while chopper frames are often cut and welded into shape. They also often lack most of the chopper's asthetic characteristics such as chromed parts and enlongated forks. Thus, bobbers are fairly easy to create from stock motorcycles and are generally handbuilt.

Examples of Bobbers:

binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Don't care for the spring seat. Got one on mine and I don't like it. Damn thing bounces you off on a speed bump. The rest looks good though.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #27
CSR
RCC Addict

That's cool!

Never seen suicide shift or 18" ape hangers on a Buell before!

CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Bobbers are also Rigid rear suspensions, so you both don't even own Bobbers. Plus the amount of chrome on those bikes is more chopper than old school Bobber.

A Bobber is a style of custom motorcycle that took shape in the 1950s and continues to be built today. Bobbers are related to choppers in that they both represent a minimalistic approach where everything is stripped from a bike that is not readily needed. This includes the characteristic rigid frame and shortened ("bobbed") rear fender.

The principle difference between bobbers and choppers is that bobbers are typically built around unmodified frames while chopper frames are often cut and welded into shape. They also often lack most of the chopper's asthetic characteristics such as chromed parts and enlongated forks. Thus, bobbers are fairly easy to create from stock motorcycles and are generally handbuilt.

Examples of Bobbers:

I used to run 10 inch struts for a couple of years but since my back is fused, I opted for the Arnott air ride, which in my pic is slammed all the way and still rideable as a rigid. Say what you want, mine is still a modern bobber that makes 118hp at the rear, doesn't leak oil, redlines at 9200rpm and never breaks down. Since you're such an expert on bikes, post a pic of yours...

Last edited by Cheatin; 09-11-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Cheatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheatin View Post
I used to run 10 inch struts for a couple of years but since my back is fused, I opted for the Arnott air ride, which in my pic is slammed all the way and still rideable as a rigid. Say what you want, mine is still a modern bobber that makes 118hp at the rear, doesn't leak oil, redlines at 9200rpm and never breaks down. Since you're such an expert on bikes, post a pic of yours...
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Our Harley just give me my ultra classic
champ7times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:32 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I dont have a Bobber per say. The chassis is here but it needs all the components and I'm buying slowly. I'm in no hurry to finish it for a few years.

My Current ride is an 06 Triumph Speed 4. Out corners most newer 600's and has some rediculous torque compared to Japanses 4's.
Attached Images

binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #32

Quote:
I dont have a Bobber per say. The chassis is here but it needs all the components and I'm buying slowly. I'm in no hurry to finish it for a few years.

My Current ride is an 06 Triumph Speed 4. Out corners most newer 600's and has some rediculous torque compared to Japanses 4's.

now thats a sweet looking ride
OldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

For some reason, I've always liked the Honda 919. There used to be a guy that did videos of himself riding one and he had modded it to fit a set of buell headlights and fairing assembly. He also had a Rethal handlebar made for the CR125 mounted onto it instead of clip-ons. For the life of me, I can't remember the site, the guys name, or anything. It's going to bug the shit out of me now until I can find the site again or at least a pic of his bike.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Guess I'm one of those idiots...
Quote:
yep you are! v-rods don't count. real bikes are air cooled.
rugerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

i like the things people come up with on here http://www.650motorcycles.com/ lots of pics and ideas
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

It looks nice, but I'll stick with my bike.

Photobucket
rock_krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:30 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
Cool! I should have kept my Buell. It would have made a nice chopper, it sucked as a sportbike
I don't know what Buell you had but my Firebolt 12r rocks. I can't keep the front end on the ground or the rear tire hooked up but I can out corner anyone of my friends any day of the week on some good race tires.
venomous98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous98 View Post
I don't know what Buell you had but my Firebolt 12r rocks. I can't keep the front end on the ground or the rear tire hooked up but I can out corner anyone of my friends any day of the week on some good race tires.
True dat!
rock_krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Pssssst......But its still a harley.
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

LOL....
58HP, stops on a dime and gives change and will hand about 90% of the other bikes their ass in the canyons. Nothing better then coming into a turn with the ass end sliding and exiting with the front tire in the air.......

NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote