Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Dropped gas Prices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Dropped gas Prices?

So what does everyone think way the gas dropped so much so fast? The upcoming election? Or something esle?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #2
WWW.THEROXBOX.COM

I Payed $2.31 yesterday in Indaina

i have no clue, but i like it
The Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Less demand + unchanged supply = lower price

Last edited by TWISTER; 10-25-2008 at 06:02 AM.
TWISTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eye View Post
I Payed $2.31 yesterday in Indaina

i have no clue, but i like it
It's down to $2.09 here

I'm thinking the Government has more control over the oil then we think. I was thinking maybe they found out these high gas prices for so long. Screwed this country up and ran it into the ground. Think about. When gas was below $2.00 everything was fine or at least a lot better then now. Everyting has losed value and on top of that food and other daily things went up in price to cover there gas to get it to us.

I'm thinking they are dropping the price to see if it helps the nation over all or not.

On a side note. Take Milk as an example. Milk jumped up over $1, b/c of gad prices. Do you think Hiland is going to lower the cost of milk now since gas ins't $4 a gallon now... Hell no. So now all these companies that raised there prices to cover gas charges. Are making even more money of there products. That doesn't seem right either.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Your government doesn't have a lot to do with worldwide prices. OPEC cut output by a miniscule amount, but prices still fell to $64 in the US and *I think* $61 in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNBC.com
Crude prices have now fallen 56 percent from the highs reached in July, and more than $41 per barrel in just the last 30 days. (...) OPEC officials, however, left no doubt that they were ready to slice production again quickly if Friday's decision does not end the price freefall.
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Milk prices have come down here too!
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Christmas is coming up!!! Gas prices down, but diesel not so much by percentages. The government is trying to move the money around by letting you spent more money in different places, from the gas/oil companies to the retailers so all show a decent profit for the 4 quarter. Trying to boost the stock markets.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

The drop in gas prices is nice now that I don't have to spend $85 to fill the car up. Food/retail prices may not go down though because diesel is still $3.90 here in NY. Think gas was $2.70.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

it's the government's way of keeping the natives happy.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #10

Oh wow! Here in Australia, Unleaded Petrol prices are around $1.30aud $1.40aud depending on the day of the week... Some service stations are taking a stand here and putting on $0.99aud for a few hours to try to force the price of the fuel here down... Looks like we dont know how sweet we have it fuel wise...
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I'll probably get blasted for this, but my opinion:

I think its because of every market falling. It's no longer just the US, other countries who invested here and in their countries are seeing US hurting and alot of them supply us. So I believe our downturn is hurting other countries, which is like a global recession. This will lower prices on oil as we see and lately our US Dollar has been gaining back some of its lost ground on other currencies.

I do think much of this could have something to do with the election as in pricing, but definately not the Oil Barrel pricing.

Quote:
On a side note. Take Milk as an example. Milk jumped up over $1, b/c of gad prices. Do you think Hiland is going to lower the cost of milk now since gas ins't $4 a gallon now... Hell no. So now all these companies that raised there prices to cover gas charges. Are making even more money of there products. That doesn't seem right either.
Excellant point I posed to one of our trucking company, Yellow Freight. I said "whoa Diesel is plummeting but the Fuel Surcharges you keep adding to these bills hasn't gone down but merely leveled off for the same mileage hauls." He said they would look into it...haha...yeah right not until enough customers start putting the wrench in the gears I bet.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
Custom Carbon Fiber

its nothing the goverment has control over, economy is down so people are driving less. what i find funny is how OPEC said supply and demand was driving prices up but not their cutting back production to drive the demand back up so barrel prices dont fall any further?

it wont last long, first sign of economic growth and they'll jack the $ right back up. besides, if gas prices are coming down this fast why has Diesel or home heating oil yet not fallen as much?
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I DEMAND A WINDFALL PROFITS TAX ON BIG MILK!
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The Arabs like Obama so they have decided to give you a discount ...
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

2.09! 2.31!. Man that is Cheap!!!

And i think paying 3.15 is cheap here in Socal.. Man im missin out.

Good thing i got a 4cyl.
GUERO4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
its nothing the goverment has control over, economy is down so people are driving less. what i find funny is how OPEC said supply and demand was driving prices up but not their cutting back production to drive the demand back up so barrel prices dont fall any further?

it wont last long, first sign of economic growth and they'll jack the $ right back up. besides, if gas prices are coming down this fast why has Diesel or home heating oil yet not fallen as much?

Bingo. I think the high prices over the last couple of years is part of the economic problem. I think OPEC is a bunch of pricks and they will try to squeeze every little dime from us they can. And yes, I think they will hike it back up as soon as they can. They can charge whatever they want because they know we have/will pay it.

As far as the prices on commodities, it's the higher cost of diesel that raises the prices, not so much as gasoline. Trucking companies have to raise their shipping prices to cover the higher diesel, therefore stores have to raise their prices to cover the higher shipping costs. When diesel prices go up, they are just passed all the way down until the product stops moving.

What also makes a difference is the new emissions laws for trucks. The newer trucks, 2006 and newer I believe, have to run a newer low sulfer fuel and there is a new soot trap on the exhaust they are starting to run. These and amoung other things is causing the MPG to go lower. I used to get about 7 to 8 MPG in my truck and now I think they are starting to get closer to 4 or 5.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Excellant point I posed to one of our trucking company, Yellow Freight. I said "whoa Diesel is plummeting but the Fuel Surcharges you keep adding to these bills hasn't gone down but merely leveled off for the same mileage hauls." He said they would look into it...haha...yeah right not until enough customers start putting the wrench in the gears I bet.

Most trucking companies belong to some type of organization that dictates their rates. Here in Hawaii alot of companies use Western Tariff, which I think is based out of Califronia. The rates including surcharges are reviewed only every so often so the fuel surcharge that was added was done so well after fuel charges went up. So the company was eating the additional fuel costs until the surcharge kicked in. At least that's the way it supposed to work but some companies just add in surcharges on their own.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERO4X4 View Post

Good thing i got a 4cyl.
Ya.. im still paying 3.33 in norcal.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
I'm a stupid C U N T!

2.65 in MT, supply and demand is a powerful thing, US demand has dropped considerably in the last few months, and with the stock market issues people are watching their money even more closely, and investors are selling off their shares in gas and others to maintain some sort of profit.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERO4X4 View Post

Good thing i got a 4cyl.

Scratch that. i pumped 3.05 today at shell.
GUERO4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote