Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which drawing is "correct"?
#1 14 31.82%
#2 7 15.91%
Both 14 31.82%
Neither 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Interpretation Test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Interpretation Test

Which drawing of this solid object is "correct"?

I'll give it some time and then explain the theory behind it if no one beats me to it.
Attached Images

rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

it's a trick question. there is not enough information. Location where the drawing was made would help, but really we need the title block
Just_Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i would say both,depending what end your looking at it
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

both could be correct, all depends on the the projection style used.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #5
06 Super National Champ

Depends on the view.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It depends on what you mean by "solid" As it stands now, Neither.

#1 would be correct if you saw 2 parallel dashed lines in the view on the left.

#2 would be correct if what we are looking at is a blind hole in the larger diameter end of the cone. But It would need 3 dashed lines in the veiw on the left do show the blind hole.

Imagine that the lines I added were dashed then these would both be accurate.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 10-27-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Yeah, neither is correctly drawn. You really need more info.

Depending on how you look at it you could expect to see hidden lines for a hole that's bored into the object.

Or the first drawing could be the top view with the wide base on the bottom, narrow on top and the 2nd is same perspective with the object inverted.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 10-27-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post

Or the first drawing could be the top view with the wide base on the bottom, narrow on top and the 2nd is same perspective with the object inverted.
On #1 the hole has to go all the way through with the solid inner circle in the view on the right.

On #2 Typically the view to the right is the "top" view so since it has a dashed line that would indicate the blind hole is on the wide side or "bottom" of the cone.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

You're assuming there's a hole...there isn't.

In your version of the first drawing, if that smaller diameter circle were actually a hole, the drawing on the left would have dotted lines (hidden lines) to indicate the bored hole. As it is draw it is a cross section (without diagonal lines to indicated cut areas in the cross-section).

In your version of the second drawing, that "C" that you've made would also be a dashed line. Otherwise you've again created a cross-section drawing and need to add diagonal lines where the solid was cut in half for the view. Typicaly a simple object like that (if it did have a bore there) would use a cross-section to show depth or bore while the first drawing that's bored through the entire part, wouldn't require a cross-section and could be drawn with hidden lines.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Powered by Awesome

Its solid! no holes or predrilled... they are both correct depending on which end it up
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
You're assuming there's a hole...there isn't.

In your version of the first drawing, if that smaller diameter circle were actually a hole, the drawing on the left would have dotted lines (hidden lines) to indicate the bored hole. As it is draw it is a cross section (without diagonal lines to indicated cut areas in the cross-section).

In your version of the second drawing, that "C" that you've made would also be a dashed line. Otherwise you've again created a cross-section drawing and need to add diagonal lines where the solid was cut in half for the view. Typicaly a simple object like that (if it did have a bore there) would use a cross-section to show depth or bore while the first drawing that's bored through the entire part, wouldn't require a cross-section and could be drawn with hidden lines.
No kidding? Read my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Imagine that the lines I added were dashed then these would both be accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
Its solid! no holes or predrilled... they are both correct depending on which end it up
Nope, Which is exactly why I asked what "solid" meant. What is the feature designated by the small circles then?

If this is a piece with no holes what so ever, both of the smaller circles would have to be absent from both of the views on the right.

Thus my claim of neither would still hold true. Not saying I am not missing something though.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

both, one is US projection (prespective rotated), two is European projection (object rotated)
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
both, one is US projection (prespective rotated), two is European projection (object rotated)
BINGO

I conducted this test at work (machine shop) and about half voted for 1 and the other half for 2. Guess that’s why we sometimes make parts backwards! What’s funny is how strongly people believe their choice is "correct".

Last edited by rob_b; 10-27-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerjoe View Post
Ok this is something I have never heard. What do the small circles denote then? If it is a hole shouldn't there be dashed lines? If the small circles are not holes than what are they?

Haha never mind I see it now. Good one!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The hidden line just defines the objects shape and size on the far side of the object (features not in direct view). It does not necessarily mean its a hole.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I tried to leave it a little vague b/c I didn't want to ruin the poll (I have a superiority complex, like most engineers)

a dotted line simply shows hidden lines

#1 - picture the object sitting on the table and you rotate your head to get the side view

#2 - picture the object on the table but this time to get the side view you hit the top of the object so it falls on its side

This explains the perspectives better

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:C..._technique.svg

Last edited by engineerjoe; 10-27-2008 at 03:44 PM.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Yes, technically they are both "correct" depending on which projection style is being used. The reason behind this "test" is to find out how people visualize a part in their head. It was left intentionally vague so that you have to really think about what you are looking at. Also, if I was really drawing this part for the shop these are not the view orientation I would pick to properly describe this part. You will notice that I borrowed from the standard symbols engineerjoe posted.

I do urge people to keep voting for the drawing that looks correct to them. I am finding the results very interesting.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'd vote, but like JIA posted its missing information. Are we to assume that the left solid view is a right view, left view, front view, rear view.

Assuming doesn't usually end well.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Screw Europe!!! I have been converting German prints into standard prints for the last 2 weeks. I am sick of it. We all need to get on the same page.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

i took the poll and went right to reply so i didn't read anyone elses reply.............bob

1. shows that the object is solid and looking at it from the top....
2. shows that the object may be hollow by the dotted circle, but there are no dotted lines showing it would be hollow by no dotted lines forming the inside walls....

P.S....just read your answer....then 2. would need the cone shape on the left to be turned 180 degrees to resemble the cone sitting on the little end and looking through the bigger end....

Last edited by bob1961; 10-27-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added post script...........
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote