Rock Crawler

Default Re: real crawling question!!!

14 hey im alive
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Red, Since you brought up this real crawling question. I've got a few ?'s for you. 1st, do you go wheeling with your dad? If so Cool. What type of vehicle do you guys wheel and where(what trails)? See I'm a member of a 4 wheel drive club and we are a pretty involved club. Meaning we try and teach newbies to the sport the right way to do things. We put on a clean up of the Fordyce creek trail every year. We report the bad apples to the authorities, and go and on the Rubicon work parties. If you want to go to the 3rd annual Fordyce Clean Up it is Oct. 9th. Let me know. I'll be more than happy to give you and your dad directions or answer any questions.

Here's a link to our BB http://p205.ezboard.com/bfourdice4wh...bbulletinboard

So if you haven't wheeled before let me know I'd like to direct you towards the light.

With all the trail closures lately We( Four Dice 4 wheel drive Club) have taken it apon ourselfs to try our best to keep the trails open for everyone
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:44 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

well i wheel with my brother he has a 99 dodge ram 5.5" lift and all that good stuff and my dad doesnt wheel yet we are fixing up a leep wagoneer for him and then theres my samurai sitting in the drive way with the back lifted 9.5" and the front stock prety funny lookin any way i think im going to put toyota axels in it and some size tire and hydrolic steering and we wheel at hollister hills we havnt run the tank trap but thats what im buildin my sammy for
Old 08-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Red, good choice with the Toyota axles. I know a guy in my club who ran the trap all the time in a toyota mini truck with a rear locker and 33" tires. He had chevy springs with a buggy leaf and lifted toy springs up front. Then there was a guy I worked with at 4 Wheel parts that did it in a Toyota with a spool and 31's. Now it's not full of water like when Top Truck is going on but it's a matter of driving ability. These guys could drive circles around guy with 44's. The other reason do stay with a smaller tire is large tires chew up the ground and leave larger holes for water to fill up. Then over the winter those holes erode away and make the trail worse. Then the environmentalist's have one more thing to get the trail closed. Now this doesn't make much difference in hollister but even that could get closed soon. Anyway I'll stop chewing your ear off.

Good luck with the build. I'm here if you have 4x4 questions. I've done quite a lot of work to my Jeep and know my way around a welder and the junk yards.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:07 PM   #45
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
theres my samurai sitting in the drive way with the back lifted 9.5" and the front stock prety funny lookin
This thread just keeps getting better!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:13 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

mabe i'll keep it that way
Old 08-30-2004, 09:49 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

I'm 14 too I've wheeled with my bro... he has a chevy 1500 with 8 inch lift and 35's.... I want a jeep when I'm 16 But when I wheeled, I actually drove not very long though... (im not good enough at manuel yet...)

It was fun.

Red: looks like your tackling a big project! I wanna watch. lol, i bet that sami looks funny witht he lift that big in back and nothing in the front... what year is it?? (can't remebr if you said or not..)
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

its a 87 and you should get your jeep now if you want to wheel it when you get you licence that why i got mine now
Old 08-31-2004, 04:08 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry, I've tried getting my jeep!! We weere about to bu one about 4 months ago... but we didn't I might get my brothers truck since if he takes it to college, it might get stolen...
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:14 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

what kind of mechanical skills do you have like can you weld or bleed brakes or change oil because if you cant dont get your jeep yet ive been working and restoring cars since i was 7 years old so i had some good practice ive also been welding for a while what kind of jeep is it what were your plans for it?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #51

Just sell it! Get an old Chevy truck with a 454/turbo 400/np205, a dana 60 and corporate 14bolt. I would never in my life think of putting 44 on a sami. Just get something that already has a tough drivetrain. That wont give you problems down the road. But if you wanna dump a couple grand on it its up to you. Its like putting kongs on my ST.
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:38 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

fullsize sucks!!!! thank for the info but i'll stick with the sami
Old 08-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #53
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
So you want to buy a set of 60 axle shafts and narrow them enough to put into sami housings, then respline them all the way down to 23 spline (I think thats what samis are)
You're close! Sami fronts are 22-spline, rears are 26-spline. I broke four front shafts when I had my Samurai crawler, with 33" tires. Trail Tough out of Oregon makes a 26-spline front shaft, or can build you a 27-spline front with a Sidekick rear center section and Dana 44 outers. Have them build you a rear using a 'kick center, spool, and cut down 28-spline Ford 9" axles, then you might survive with 35-37's.

44's on a Samurai are stupid unless you go Loooong wheelbase, 1-ton or heavier axles and Horsepower like Tim Shaver's Zuk pictured in Raptorman's post.

CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:17 PM   #54
CSR
RCC Addict

Here's some shots of my ol' 87 Samurai. Detroit EZ-Lockers front and rear, 5.13 gears, Petroworks GRSII t-case, Spidertrax Birfield rings, on beadlocked 33" MT/R's. Pretty damn capable little crawler. Forget 44's, you don't need them. You can set your Samurai up pretty sweet with the money those big tires would cost you.

CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 08:53 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

hey just imagen having 44 in the last pic
Old 09-01-2004, 01:37 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
hey just imagen having 44 in the last pic
get over the 44's buddy..there too small get some 46/5 inch baja claws or 49 inch swampers

nah but seriously dude..your only 14..so wheres this money coming from?? why cant you just have 35's??

im 15...but i aint that stupid
my dad has a nissan patrol..u dont get them there do ya?? 37" claws...7 inch lift..etc etc..and they are big enough

and you say you havent got the gear shifting right yet..thats strange for someone who has big plans for a samuri
manuals pi$$ easy

and one of me driving it
XFACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

gear shifting that was kidwithacrayon dood ive been driving stick since i was 7 hey maby your right i'll go with 35 NA!!!! how about 44 thats more like it theres nothing that nobody can say to change my mind thats final
Old 09-02-2004, 12:38 AM   #58
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Bushwacker,

read your PM's!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

A Zook on 44s???? Oh man, it'd be a real beatch if it's done right!!! Throw the tires on Rockwells and forget about ever breaking anything axle related. Might be about the same $$$ as bastardizing other stuff, too.
fullmodtxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
theres nothing that nobody can say to change my mind thats final
You know what say about a guy with big tires on a little truck.....

Neither do I, but you'd better plan on towing it too. I'm sure it won't be street legal. Santa Clara County cops will bust you for being too wide, high no mud flaps, and everything else. You have to make sure your headlights are under a certain height, your tires are covered, My buddies Jeep on 35" and he got hastled for headlight height. Good Luck KID.

I'll stick to my Jeep on 35"