Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Need your opinion on some bikes.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #21
MODERATOR™

Are the ones with the rigid forks made for the rigid forks? As the angles are way off when you put a shock on them (usually).

Last edited by EeePee; 09-13-2005 at 10:52 AM.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Are the ones with the rigid forks made for the rigid forks? As the angles are way off when you put a shock on them (usually).
I have been in contact with a Soul Cycles rep and he said that the geometry is perfect for a fs I have not talked with Bianchi yet so I dont know about that one.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I LOVE my Chameleon. So much that two of my custom frames have the exact same geometry. That bike is sooo versital and FAAAAST... It's a little bit different than a traditional XC bike, but it's deffinitely not a hardcore DJ/urban frame. It's fairly lightweight too. I'd grab it. Santa Cruz is a little bit of a pain to deal with, as a company, but the frame is awesome. They're only like $450 new so make sure you don't pay too much.

I've had it setup HT w/ gears, rigid w/ gears, and rigid SS. It's been rigid SS for a couple years now.

-Jay
Attached Images

BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Right now I am trying to figure out if the Chameleon is a good deal or not. Here are the specs:
Frame: 2003 Santa Cruz Chameleon size large

Fork: 2003 Fox TALAS Float R Adjustable 80mm-125mm

Hubs: Paul Comp Word Disk 32 hole

Wheels: WTB Speed Disk

Brakes: Hayes HFX Comp 6'' rotors

Tires: WTB Mutano Raptor

Cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt

Stem: Race Face

Bars: Azonic Riser

Head Set: YST GE Force

Grips: Lizard Skin Lock On

Seat Post: AC

Seat: WTB SST X

Bottom Bracket: LX

Chain Rings: Shimano 32/16
If someone can help in trying to find out if its a good deal that would be awsome. Right now I am leaning to the Bianchi and the Soul Cycles but if the Chameleon is a good deal I might end up buying it. If I do buy the pink Bianchi frame I am going to build a Breast Cancer awareness bike for my aunt.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Is the SC a AL frame or Chromo? I would do Chromo or Ti for a frame myself. Of course I am 6'1 and 275 so I am hard on any frame. The AL is a bit flexy for my taste.

What kind of price is it at?

Singlespeeds are to beat on.

Last edited by FrankyRizzo; 09-13-2005 at 01:52 PM.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

yea i am 5'10 190
Old 09-13-2005, 03:07 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Uhh.. I'm 6'4" and around 350lbs. I did break the chameleon once, but the one I have now is 3.5 years old and no problems.

I think $1000 to MAX $1500 is a fair price. unless it's in perfect shape, then I could see going a little higher but not much. Frames $450 new, fork is $600ish new.. then the rest of the stuff.

-Jay
BigJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #28
MODERATOR™

Be a man! Ride it rigid!

(That does not sound good!!!! )
Old 09-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I don't mind hard tails at all. By a softail I don't mean a full suspended. Moots has a 1.5 inch travel flex shock thing that I liked riding. Just cut out the sharp ruts and bumps. Still by no means a plush ride.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #30
MODERATOR™

I just realized the older I got, the softer, and heavier my bike got. Just like me.

I went from a fixed gear, no brakes, road bike as a messenger for 5 years (best job ever!!!), to a rigid MTB, to a front shock, to a few more hardtails all gaining gears, to a 27 speed FS Cannondale Jeckyl.

Funny how that worked.

I will agree with what most people say, SS is a lot of fun.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I really enjoyed my Bianchi BUSS, DISS, and am now on a GUSS (same as the PUSS). They will handle up to a 100mm travel fork w/o a problem, but are designed around 80mm setup. The rigid forks are suspension corrected nowadays.

For my money, I typically will ride only steel (I am a steel snob). However, the Bianchi's shorter proportional toptube make it a very comfortable bet for me. The bianchi can build up easily in the 21-22lb range with the right parts.

Ditch the Cruz. It is a cool bike, but don't buy anything used. You typically get ripped off and don't have a warranty. Santa Cruz only does a 2 year warranty anyway, and the Chameleon, though an awesome bike in its own right, is 10 year old technology.

Try for horizontal chainstays over an eccentric BB. I like the idea of eccentric BB's dropping the wheel out with a quick release, but without proper cleaning and maintenance, they can slip. With a horizontal dropout and an aluminum frame, be careful never to ride your rear wheel loose, it will damage the brake tabs (*cough*).

I also really like Spot. They make a comfortable steel frame. Not cheap though. If Jericho were still around, I'd like them even more. If you can afford a new Seven, by all means do so, but I think that with a singlespeed in mind, a steel frame would serve you best. It is more forgiving than aluminum, and with a good Reynolds or Colombus tubset, it will be just as light, but FAR more durable. Singlespeeds break. A lot. They go through stresses that other bikes don't. So if possible, buy new. Also, if you buy an aluminum singlespeed used, be certain NOT TO BUY AN EASTON ALUMINUM FRAME. They are wonderfully light, but alarmingly fragile.

Bianchi (new w/ warranty) or Kona for a factory frame.

Spot, H&H, Independent Fabrications, or Seven for a custom bike.

Do yourself a favor and buy a steel bike. You will never regret it.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote