Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 86 4runner Now with Soft Top

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Just keep the costs down and flip the truck.... We have a tech that flips rigs a lot. Last rig was a '92 4runner, 22RE, Manual trans, loaded, super clean in and out, and was FREE from a customer that never drove it. He re-sold it to one of our hourly guys for a couple grand. All he did was go through the engine, t-chain, WP, gaskets, etc..
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #22
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Just keep the costs down and flip the truck.... We have a tech that flips rigs a lot. Last rig was a '92 4runner, 22RE, Manual trans, loaded, super clean in and out, and was FREE from a customer that never drove it. He re-sold it to one of our hourly guys for a couple grand. All he did was go through the engine, t-chain, WP, gaskets, etc..

My SM does it all week long but I am not doing that with this, I had been searching for an affordable descent truck for months. I know I could have easily flipped the truck already for probably 1500 easily if not more but, I am not doing that. I am going to make it road worthy, drive it, and build my own rig...something I can wheel and be proud off knowing I built it so there arent any surprises like my last rig (73 EB).

I got all the bumpers off, lost the spare from underneath too...I found the only real significant rust on the frame...right where the fawkin spare was Cross member isnt terrible, still extremely structural but it looks like shit... I think I am going to pick up some POR 15, grind it all down and hit with that.

Couple more cell phones pics. Traded some left over stuff back into parts and ordered up my valve cover gasket and half moons. Also ordered up the oil pump and crank seal, should be here tomorrow.

mandatory flex shot

Need to do something about the exhaust, otherwise I can see it getting ripped clear off on the 1st trail.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Sinking with the ship

I know a couple people have noticed that I haven't been as active lately...here is why...

That cant be good right...

And that isnt much better

Yeah...basically the truck started to die... a compression test revealed no more then 50 psi on all 4 cylinders...so I started to tear down

I have the head at a machine shop. it is being pressure tested and I am having them check all the valves since one looked like it was a little bit to far into the seat (maybe a valve, but could have been a guide). I checked it with a straight edge myself and it was all good that way so I dont think there will be any major issues.

I started degreasing the entire engine compartment, everything looks awesome again.

In the mean time I have started to clean out the intake manifold, T/B, and some other stuff. I also Honed out the cylinders, they look awesome once again. I measured them, and they were in spec, so no need for any boring.

2morrow, when my friend brings in his engine stand (yeah the shop one is MIA ) I am going to changed out the main bearings, they came in yesterday

I have all new rod bearings as well. Hopefully the rings and other parts will be at home and I can maybe get the short block mostly back together. While the engine is out I am also putting a new Toyota clutch assembly in, might as well do it now.

While I have been waiting for parts I polished the shit out of the wheels...

They are starting to come up nicely...

That is it for now
Old 03-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
On the lookout for Rocks

Looking good 1BJB
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Nice score on the 4runner,I had an 86 back in the day,softtop an all.But seriously whats with all the engine work,just stuff a big lipo in that thing
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #26
I'm a stupid C U N T!

when you get done with that I have a couple of scouts you can work on
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Nice find. I want the red Taco she looks sweet.

I had those same wheels on my 87. To polish the wheels better knock the rivets out with a small hammer and punch from the back side, that way you can get between the rivets and in the corner better.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #28
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
Looking good 1BJB
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtoy View Post
Nice score on the 4runner,I had an 86 back in the day,softtop an all.But seriously whats with all the engine work,just stuff a big lipo in that thing
Big ass Lipo would probably have had more power then this engine had

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobin3d View Post
when you get done with that I have a couple of scouts you can work on
I'm a Toyota mechanic, I don't how to fix anything else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
Nice find. I want the red Taco she looks sweet.

I had those same wheels on my 87. To polish the wheels better knock the rivets out with a small hammer and punch from the back side, that way you can get between the rivets and in the corner better.
Ill give that a try on the wheels, I want to get them finished up, they they are getting the marty mcfly treatment (black centers, polished outer)

Engine is out!

Clutch was actually pretty worn, and the rear main was leaking like crazy

More this week, I have all the parts to assemble the short block, everything else should be here Monday
Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #29
rbl
Rock Crawler

when you have a big nice shop like this sure does make things easy, even better when you work there

are you going to do anything to the motor or just stock?
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #30
Sinking with the ship

Well 4runner is full built back up...engine went back together real fast.

and went back in pretty quick too

its got plates and insurance and I have been cruising it all weekend

Today we had good weather so we headed out to the garage with Zero

and ripped the top off

When we got it off there was a couple of surface rust spots, got them fixed up

Then it was down to business

end result....kick ass soft top

Thanks for looking

More to come...

-Mike
Old 04-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Badass Mike, I had a chane to buy one in California that had a 305 in it back in 00'. Passed on it cause of emmissions. Should of bought it anyways.:-(. Have fun with her, no use in selling her now.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Mike that top looks awesome! I have a bikini top to go in mine for the summer. But i got some bad news I need to replace my computer and the cheapest used one I found was 110$ so its sitting at my dad's. Do you ever plan to SAS?
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #33
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromtcrawler View Post
Mike that top looks awesome! I have a bikini top to go in mine for the summer. But i got some bad news I need to replace my computer and the cheapest used one I found was 110$ so its sitting at my dad's. Do you ever plan to SAS?
Did you get the bikini top from Downey? I looked at that myself because the Canback soft top and kayline soft tops are are like 1200$ I got this this one from softopper for 650

As far as an SAS goes, its is 100% in the future plans...my friend has an 85 front axle in his garage with bobby longs, welded front skid, high pick up magnet, yukon 4.88s, crush collar eliminator,ARB air locked, complete hub to hub. Said I can have it for a 1000$...just need to save some money. For now, I will wheel it as is. There arent to many trails on the island that require any serious running gear but I would love to eventually have it look like Jim's truck so I can wheel with the big boys

Old 04-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #34
~THE SCALE SHOP~

love the motor work pics, NICE job! definatly liked seeing those
dont care for the softtop, then again, ive never been a fan of those, even on jeep. ive always been a hard top lover. rare i know.
great work though! have mocrawler send you a sticker for it!
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I have to say the top isn't doing it for me. Looked much better with the stock one. I think the $650 could have been put towards the sas instead.
Shaun (yota) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post
Did you get the bikini top from Downey? I looked at that myself because the Canback soft top and kayline soft tops are are like 1200$ I got this this one from softopper for 650

Yup its a Downey, I picked it up for 30$ still in the box. You got a deal on that top as well but 650 is a bit too much for my budget.

As far as an SAS goes, its is 100% in the future plans...my friend has an 85 front axle in his garage with bobby longs, welded front skid, high pick up magnet, yukon 4.88s, crush collar eliminator,ARB air locked, complete hub to hub. Said I can have it for a 1000$...just need to save some money. For now, I will wheel it as is. There arent to many trails on the island that require any serious running gear but I would love to eventually have it look like Jim's truck so I can wheel with the big boys

That is a steal for that axle. I been looking for the crush collar eliminators for a while but haven't had any luck locally. If you plan to do the swap your self buy the Skys offroad kit its is by far the nicest fit.

Keep the pics comig
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #37
Sinking with the ship

I got wicked sick this week, had the flu and was in bed all week...My snorkel showed up Tuesday but I was feeling way to shitty to even check it out. I am finally starting to feel better now, still have a really annoying cough but my stepdad and I got the snorkel in

When I ordered it from 4 wheel parts I thought the guy was messing with me when he told me it didn't fit my truck. Little did I know its technically only designed to fit the 22r motor since they didn't have EFI trucks in Australia. Nothing a 20$ trip to home depot couldnt fix though

I know there are a lot of haters on snorkels here so before anyone tells me how I wasted 325$ and how its probably going to get ripped off etc etc etc please review this photo

Yes, thats from my truck after I rebuilt the entire engine . mud/water hole wasnt even that deep but the stock intake gets air in right from above the head light and if you see the headlight dissapear for any amount of time its game over... I know, because even after that bent piston I manage to suck in water AGAIN, 2nd time I lucked out and was able to pull the plugs and crank the 1/2 gallon of water out of the cylinders so a snorkel is a very good investment for me.

I have my front axle and complete front and rear 3" suspension kit from TG but can't put it under the truck because one of my 4130 chromo birfields was machined wrong . Found that out after several hours trying to assemble the axle and breaking a hub and many F bombs. So now my stepdads friend has it at his machine shop seeing if he can make it right. Once I get it back, my friend Joe and I are going to put it all together. We just got heat in the garage and I am still waiting for the 220 outlet.

Its getting there, slowly...

Thanks for looking
-Mike
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Looking good. How's it feel doing work twice...on your own vehicle. After you do the SAS on the FoRunna you gonna hook up the Taco wit the same treatment?
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #39
Who's your Daddy-0!

The soft top looks killer I think it looks better than the hard top! I see you have the front bumper on now to, me likey!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #40
Adilynsdad too!

Looks like one of your scalers now...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote