Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: mountain bike brake rotor 1, me 0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Sinking with the ship

Default mountain bike brake rotor 1, me 0

Well I was excited this week when my boss from the bike shop called and asked me to start working saturdays again, gotta love the extra cash right? Get parts for the 4runner and RCs. Well I knew I was off to a bad day when I over slept and showed up 45 minutes late he is a real easy going guy but HATES if you are late since my other 2 friends gave him BS excuses for the past 7 years they worked there. Well as if showing up late wasnt bad enough, he was already in a bad mood because the trek he was working on with Avid juicey 5s was kicking his ass since yesterday. At 1st they had no power (unusual for a juicey they are sick brakes) then once they had power they had a TERRIBLE rub both front and rear. Our shop is notorious for getting disc brakes set up perfectly so he got me on the bike right away. The rear proceeded to kick my ass for some time, went through all the basics...centered the caliper, check for paint on the tabs, checked run out of the rotor on the dial indicator, cleaned rotor, sanded pads etc...finally got them working awesome. The front was hole different beast...he had already done all the the above things. So while breaking the glaze on the rotor disaster happened...I sucked my left point finger into the rotor :-(:-(:-( I held back wigging out because one of his friends was in there with his daughter so I bit my tounge on dropping the F bomb and tried to suck it up...it hurt so bad I cant even beging to to tell you...that was 10 this morning...now 1:09 cant sleep because its fawkin killing me!

Split the nail and tip of finger, bled like crazy all day and made trying to fix anything a PIA...O and I buttered fingered an entire box of BMX free wheels when going to put them back on the shelf which then exploded and free wheels went everywhere. As they flew out of the box a nice ACS claws smashed the finger on its way down to the floor ...

There are just some days where you should have stayed in bed...today was one of them.

*edit, for those who are bike guys, the reason the front was so f'd up was because whoever built it tightened the caliper bolts so tight they actually crushed the cone into the cone washer causing a deep grove so no matter how you tried to center them it always found that same spot...also wore the pads really unevenly. Installed new parts and it was good to go...just had to sacrifice my left pointer to fix it Torque specs are there for a reason... I use the torque wrench tightening the cassette lock ring...makes its easier for the next asshole who has to get it apart...I wish people would follow them.

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 03-14-2009 at 11:19 PM.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
RCC Addict

damn dude that sucks....finger nail injuries seem to be the most annoying SOBS
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Busted Finger!

Mike, I feel your pain my friend! I broke my index finger on my right hand a month ago working on my Dads VW! My younger Brother and I were trying to get the crankshaft pulley bolt loose so we could get the pulley off. My Dad didn't have the proper metric socket, or wrench, and I didn't have to right tool in my F-550 as well. So, like a dumb a$$, I grabbed a monster crescent wrench, and my Brother had a pry bar, I was putting all 240 pounds of my big a$$ pushing down wards on the crescent by way of a cheater pipe when my Brother let the pry bar slip and I came down full force on my finger pinching it between the cheater pipe and the rear body apron of the VW!! There was snow outside, stuck my finger in it, didn't help, stuck it in hot water, didn't help, drilled a couple of holes in the nail, didn't help!! Didn't sleep much for about 3 night because I would bump or rub it on anything and it felt like it was caught in a vise. I've re-broken the finger twice since then just cutting styrene!! I actually hear the bone in the tip of my finger crack when it happens!!! The nail is Finlay starting to come off, but I still can't grip anything with it, should have seen me trying to start the nuts on those M2 screws when I was making the body armor on my Sammy Build!! So to make a long story short, or is it too late for that, I feel your pain Brother!!! Word of advise, 800mg Motrin!! :-(
Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I totally hear you on having days you should have just never left bed. Feb 6 was one of those for me. I got into 2 car accidents that day, about 3 hours apart. Niether was my fault either.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Brakes are a pain in the ass. Especially discs. You know how I fixed my brake problems?

I dont run em'
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Damn...thats nice

I dont much about fixing them..but i bought a Trek Fuel ex7 2 yrs ago.First time owning a full susp,and hydrolic discs....big jump,sharp turn,scared = locking the brakes in the air landing sideways = 5 sprocket teeth,1 knee 0

Wish i would of had a pic of that,the deepest one pulled out a chuck of meat with it.Lower half of my leg was soaked with blood

Fun times!
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ouch!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Damn that sucks. Sorry for your pain and I sympathize. This happened nearly three months ago, the thumb on my right hand got smashed in the door of my Yukon. It bled all over and the nail is now falling off with a new one growing underneath. I hope yours heals quicker than mine is.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
Built, not bought

Rub some dirt on it and get back to work.

Actually,I feel your pain.12 years ago while playing with the r/c's and wearing flip-flops I got nailed by my friends s/t.Took about 3/4 of the nail on my big toe about 90% off.Not sure which hurt worse,the initial hit or removing the rest of the flap of nail off.You never realize how much you bump something until it's injured.
Also,4-1/2 years ago I was in a hurry while using the paper cutter at work.Took about a 1/4" off the end of my thumb.Not quite to the bone but close.Needless to say,I got a lot of shit about that at work.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
rbl
Rock Crawler

that sucks Iv got one of those cuts also

NWS
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...3/100_0766.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...3/100_0767.jpg
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I can sympathise Dremel saw.....Dec 23......
Attached Images

Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 AM   #12
Sinking with the ship

Damn guys, lots of finger/nail related injuries...is it just me or are they seriously one of the most painful injuries? I mean I am sure there is worst, but I feel like if this would be considered a "basic" injury, that it is one of the most painful....
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
rbl
Rock Crawler

that finger nail is whats going to be ''painful''
rbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
06 Super National Champ

Bikes are the devil.

Here's an idea. Staple that nail to your finger.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
Bikes are the devil.

Here's an idea. Staple that nail to your finger.
You just had to show that one more time,didn't you?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

How about liver for dinner tonight...............anyones else getting the quillies....ive been hacked by some natsy tools(router across palm)
12 in disksand sucked in the metal bar and my thumb....ect

But that head owy really tops its looks like some peeling effect.. owy cleaning under the flap......

whats for dinner lolol
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
You just had to show that one more time,didn't you?
What was for dinner?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

That's nasty and you're right fingernail injuries alway cane. I once tore my thumb nail off whilst use a bench grinder. Trying to remove metal shavings from the soft part bellow your nail before taping it up really isn't fun.
Then I got my hand caught buy an R/C plane prop that pulled the skin away from the hand. I had about 8 stitches to hold it in place. There was also the time I came off my bike and headed face first into a shale back and cut my chin open. I think that took 12 stitched to seal up.

I really should just stay in a padded room.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #19
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta View Post
What was for dinner?
Fillet of skull?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I'm clumsy enough to do that kind of thing a lot but lucky enough for it to usually not hit my fingernail. A few months back I dropped a car battery on my finger and the casting flash on the corner took a huge flap of skin off my middle finger. Never did get a pic of that one. I put a drill into my index finger a year or so ago, that was unpleasant, just a week or two ago a really heavy brake rotor I was trying to turn bit me (it slid off the cone on the lathe before I got a chance to put the outer support pieces on) and I'm amazed it didn't take the nail off. Hurt like crazy.

And of course, I'm always hitting my head on the lift, tires, busting knuckles against stuff, So, in short, No parts man with lily white hands is getting any sympathy from me
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote