Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Pistol guys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
And there a several companies that make a external safety for the Glock now as well as Glock Here is one that I like if I were going to add one....http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...afety-trigger/

now that looks like it would be a great addition to a good handgun....

now see folks you dont have to argue with everyone on your favorite forum(rccrawler.com) to come to a common agreement(hint other topics in chit chat)
dragit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Oh, I'm going to stir the pot with this...

1911's had their time and place, but facts are facts, there are safer pistols to carry. 100 years ago when Browning designed it, it was state of the art, fast forward to today, carrying a single action pistol cocked locked and loaded with the safety on is obsolete technology...
We all know that Murphy's law exists and is as sound as Newtons law of gravity. When choosing a carry pistol, you should think about the stress of the situation where you would need to use it. Anything that may get in the way of the hammer dropping when you pull the trigger (manual safety) could cost you or your loved ones their lives. Glock, SA, and most revolvers are "point and shoot", no thinking/trained reflexes/actions required other than pulling the trigger.
Under the same rationale, I believe the aftermarket Glock safety is bullshit technology, Glocks are inherently safe...
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #23
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragit View Post
now that looks like it would be a great addition to a good handgun....

now see folks you dont have to argue with everyone on your favorite forum(rccrawler.com) to come to a common agreement(hint other topics in chit chat)
Agreed Out of all the safeties I've seen for the Glock that is the best one I've seen. And it would be FAST! Speed counts when you need it So if the "Safety" thing is stopping you from getting a Glock here is your fix
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #24
I'm a stupid C U N T!

I have been tossing around the same type questions and have to ask an opinion on the Taurus 845, I've heard mostly good and the price seem more than reasonable. whats the experts opinion
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
That sounds about right, you know Chip lives in a cave...don't you?
Well I see Chip has moved up in the world, From under a tree branch to a cave. I'm proud of you Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Just do us and yourself a favor.....don't get anything smaller than a .357! Go with .357Sig, .40, .45!
Wasn't going to get anything smaller, Just wasn't sure on the semi pistols technology. When a young man I shot a 44 mag super black hawk, with a red dot scope. Never owned a semi auto pistol, That's why I asked. and thanks again fella's for the help.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
But the best advise I can give you, find a range where you can shoot them first.
+1. Shoot a variety before choosing, even if it may cost a little.

Any semi, especially with a composite frame is going to shoot very differently than that revolver you shot back in the day.

I love my Ruger .357 GP100 and my Glock 19...but the differences, of course, are night and day.

Whatever you choose, you should shoot it - a lot. This is especially so if you're going to consider this for home/self-defense. This may mean ammo prices could be a contributing factor in what you choose. You may want to consider long-term ammo costs, versus actual ballistic differences: when it comes down to it, accuracy--and being able to effectively fire a follow-up shot--is sometimes better than just having a bigger bullet (a debate better left for a different thread, as there are several things to consider).

Be sure you research lots...especially on Customer Service, Product Quality, and "Warranty."

It may sound crazy, but before I went Glock, I shot Glocks, Springfields, and Kimbers. I liked the feel of the Glock the best which I ultimately chose after discussing much about Spring's and Kimb's with a local gun shop owner (who would've made more from a Kimber sale).

Taurus seems to be hit or miss. I've talked with plenty of satisfied shooters and with plenty of others that wouldn't use a Taurus for a paper weight. (Of course, no manufacturing process is flawless.) Long-term use is a huge factor. If the piece comes out of the safe twice a year, a low cost piece may do just fine. On the other hand, if the firearm is going to see several hundred rounds every month, or every session, something with a reputation for long-term reliability may be more prudent...and cost effective in the end.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 08-29-2009 at 10:37 AM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I'll go against the grain and say the M&P .40. It's what I have. It fits my hand much better even with the large backstrap on it compared to the Glock. I really wanted the Glock 23 but just couldn't get used to the 2x4 grip. Super accurate too! I love it.
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I had a question maybe a California guy could answer.

I had read in a rules book it was illegal to have a gun with more than ten rounds. So does that make a Glock, that holds more than ten illegal? Or does that simply just make the larger capacity magazines illegal?

As you can probably relate, an official rules book reguarding handgun purchases in california was probably writtin by a lawyer
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #29
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post

I had read in a rules book it was illegal to have a gun with more than ten rounds. So does that make a Glock, that holds more than ten illegal? Or does that simply just make the larger capacity magazines illegal?

As you can probably relate, an official rules book reguarding handgun purchases in california was probably writtin by a lawyer
Everything is illegall in Cali.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
Everything is illegall in Cali.
Your telling me.. I probably shouldn't even be posting right now
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #31
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:

Glocks come with 10rd mags. You can get 13rd, 15rd, 30rd mags for them.....so your good
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:

http://www.glock.com/english/magazines_compat.htm
Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip cross View Post
33 capacity
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

RE: the California 10round mag' question:

Assuming you are a civilian: if you are the original owner of "preban" (1994, I believe) high-capacity magazines (10+ rounds) it is legal for you to possess and use those magazines. And that's about where it stops. It is not legal to bring them in from out of state (new or old resident), to give them to an immediate family member, build them from parts, etc... Theoretically, there are markings to differentiate.

That chart, from Glock, does not necessarily apply for Kammiefornians.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 08-29-2009 at 09:20 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

As far as I know the mags are not registered so it would be hard to prove how long you've had the higher capacity mag. When I still had my Glock 22 it had three 13 round mags. I purchased the gun and the mags from a local law enforcement agency that was getting all new guns, same model just new. The mags came with the gun when I purchased it in 2000.

Last edited by RustlerHustler; 08-29-2009 at 11:25 PM.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Guns 101

Clip

Magazine
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The funny part is I went back and changed the other two clips to mags and somehow missed the third.

The only guns I was raised around were the ones the kids in the neighborhood used for gang violence, my bestfriend was shoot and killed in a driveby when we were walking home from the school bus. Mags were always called clips and it's an old habit that I still catch my self saying from time to time.

Fixed now.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 AM   #38
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gysgt hartman View Post
guns 101

clip

magazine
lmao
Old 08-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I loved my Glock 27 .40 Cal It was small and compact yet with the extra finger grip on the mag, felt just like a larger glock. Very nice pistol for self defense.
jcboof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

I carry a G23, also own a s&w 4013 TSW(stainless .40) The g23 gets shot the most...the recoil is nice on the s&w though.

Find a range that rents or find a friend with the one you're interested in. Figure out which one you feel comfortable holding, check access to slide lock/safety/mag release also.

Safety argument...Decide for yourself. If its going to be for protection do you think you will remember to turn the safety off or put a round in the chamber? I feel comfortable with one in the chamber and no safety. If you only feel comfortable with a safety make sure when you do go to the range to always practice taking the safety off first then shooting for every mag.

Just my opinions...
Failedabortion is offline   Reply With Quote