Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Old School Class discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Default Old School Class discussion

I, for one, am interested in this, even if only a few people would jump on the bandwagon. I have my Stick for a Super, and I have this TXT that I get a kick out of driving, but I don't feel it could do as well as my Stick, so it needs somewhere to call home.

Do we want to discuss this?

I guess the wheelbase should be set. But where? If these are to be run on the Super's course, too short might be a killer. And to long you're in Super territory. And a compromised Super course is too easy for the Super trucks. I think someone with a 15 inch wheelbase on a Super is cutting it close, so maybe that's the magic number?

Maybe this could be the "TXT Spec" class? Spec refering only to axles, and limited dimensions.

15 inch WB, and 2WS, Maxx or Clod sized tires.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
I, for one, am interested in this, even if only a few people would jump on the bandwagon. I have my Stick for a Super, and I have this TXT that I get a kick out of driving, but I don't feel it could do as well as my Stick, so it needs somewhere to call home.

Do we want to discuss this?

I guess the wheelbase should be set. But where? If these are to be run on the Super's course, too short might be a killer. And to long you're in Super territory. And a compromised Super course is too easy for the Super trucks. I think someone with a 15 inch wheelbase on a Super is cutting it close, so maybe that's the magic number?

Maybe this could be the "TXT Spec" class? Spec refering only to axles, and limited dimensions.

15 inch WB, and 2WS, Maxx or Clod sized tires.
Here we go again.
My similar thread was deleted.
But I'm all for this.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My ideas:

Any axles
Standard Maxx wheel and tires (no 40's and no 2.2s)
Under 15 inches, over 12.5 wheel base
Front and rear stear, any way
Must run most of body or tube chassis
Old 12-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

No wheel weights.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I think it should just be any rig, maximum wheelbase of 15" and 2-wheel steer, and that’s it.
In my opinion this allows more people to be able to compete, and for a more diverse field, not just Clods and TXTs.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

would you make a chassi limit? like must be four link or simalar( no stick or articulation only) and do you mean maxx size rims, so any tire you can get on a maxx rim? production only? cause it seems moabs could be made to fit a maxx rim. sounds fun but i think parc has it nailed with there driver class i dont know all the rules but it has a good start
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

I'm going to build one either way, it fits perfectly between the 2.2s and the Supers.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love threads like this. I can't get more than 3 people together to go crawling, let alone have classes of trucks. I have been pushing crawling around here for over a year now, I even take my crawlers up to the "monster truck night" at the LHS. The customers that see the crawlers love them, but the employees tell them "you have to build to much of it yourself so, buy this E-MAXX."

The manager of said LHS didn't even know what MOAB XL's were tonight when I asked about pricing. I had to go behind the counter to show him on the Proline website. He then told me they would fit standard 40 series wheels.

Sorry about going a little off topic, but crawling against your wife and 6 year old son gets pretty f*cking dull
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
I love threads like this. I can't get more than 3 people together to go crawling, let alone have classes of trucks.

Sorry about going a little off topic, but crawling against your wife and 6 year old son gets pretty f*cking dull.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

JIA, sure, laugh at my pain
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:16 PM   #11
06 Super National Champ

Are you kiddin'?

I can relate.

Guys in the South-East are driving 5-7hrs to attend a comp.

In our area the last thing we need is another class.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:19 PM   #12
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
I love threads like this. I can't get more than 3 people together to go crawling, let alone have classes of trucks. I have been pushing crawling around here for over a year now, I even take my crawlers up to the "monster truck night" at the LHS. The customers that see the crawlers love them, but the employees tell them "you have to build to much of it yourself so, buy this E-MAXX."

The manager of said LHS didn't even know what MOAB XL's were tonight when I asked about pricing. I had to go behind the counter to show him on the Proline website. He then told me they would fit standard 40 series wheels.

Sorry about going a little off topic, but crawling against your wife and 6 year old son gets pretty f*cking dull
I feel your pain, I'am the only person in austin that into this or I have to drive 4 hours up to dallas/ft worth area where most the guys lives.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #13
R.I.P. Chip

I have no problem running another class here in Colorado.

Remember thought that if we run another class it will take up even more time, so instead of running 3-4 courses per comp like we do now we'd only be able to run 2.

It gets real lame to drive several hours to a comp to only be able to drive your rig for 10 minutes.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
Ace
Rock Crawler

Class or not, I'm building mine and showing up at the comp with it.

Supers don't excite me anymore. If I compete for 8th place with my Old School rig in super class at least I'll look good doing it! (so will the truck)

my rules would be:

Only T-maxx rims
only uncut rubber
15" wb
2 wheel steer (or 4ws no crab)
if it don't look right, it ain't old school!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 PM   #15
Say hello to my dactylion

We were trying to have an Old School class for 2006 here in the UT.... Only a hand full of guys Showed any interest so it died. I would have loved to run an old school I actually converted my 2.2 clod to an old school 14" WB but I think 15" would have been perfect. We were going to run them with the STPs or with the 2.2s it would have taken longer still though and those that run the comps know how time consuming draining to can be to run only 2 classes.

Here were our proposed specs.
Class 2 - Old School Class (ALL NEW CLASS)

- Limited to ClodBuster, TXT-1 or E-Maxx configuration.
- Vehicle wheelbase is a maximum 14 inches..
- Limited to ClodBuster/TXT, standard MAXX sized wheel or smaller. Wheel Narrowing is allowed.
- Limited to un-modified tires only (straight out of the bag).
- Limited to 4-wheeled vehicles only.
- 4-wheel steering allowed, Y-harness only. No crab steer or independent rear steer allowed.
- You must run a body (full tube chassis acceptable).
- The body must be 1/10th scale or larger.
- Limited to full body only (the only trimming allowed will be fender flairs).

If any Class 2 vehicle violates any of these guidelines it must be run in the Class 1 - STP Super Class.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:15 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Old school as in canti's and nitro as well?

Heck, if that's the case, everyone selling a Gecko2 (with stock Clod tires) for 3 times more than it is worth on eBay suddenly has a very cool crawler!
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat

- Limited to ClodBuster, TXT-1 or E-Maxx configuration.
What?! No X-Factor?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #18
Ace
Rock Crawler

Yup, I like the Utah rules. 14" or 15" I don't care. (Except for "limited to clod txt or maxx)

I'll be the truck tipping over backwards at the bottom of the 1st obstacle in the super class...

I'll also be the guy looking hard for the perfect line, not just driving up.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I enjoy driving trucks at this size, with txt or clod axles, and maxx mashers.

You may want to look at what the current classes do not offer and tailer the class to meet those needs.

Last edited by grover; 12-15-2005 at 10:13 AM.
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like there are many of these being built in colorado. I think that we will just need to bring them to the next comp and figure out a place for them. After that, we should have some good ideas on how to handle a new class. Personally, I think that all that have the 14r's should run them after all the super class competitors have finished. Use the same course and see what the scores look like afterwards. If there is an impossible ledge that a 14 or 15 inch wb can't do, that will need to be bypassed.....kind of like we did with the 2.2's at Palmer Park last week.
I just think that there needs to be a bit of trial and error before we create the whole new class with new rules, etc.