Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: 1929 Ford Coupe Hot Rod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Gotcha. You may want to check. I didn't think a flathead and a TH400 would bolt together so you may have a pretty valuable adapter in there. No rush, but whenever you get chance, I'd love to see some pics of someone sitting in it. Now that I'm leaning more toward a coupe than a sedan (and dealing with less interior room), I'm trying to get as educated as I can regarding having a reasonably comfy interior.

Hadn't heard of Voodoo Larry, but just checked out his site. Interesting stuff. Are you saying he basically uses the body as a frame member, presumably reinforced?

I've seen quite a few of his creations in person, IIRC he makes his frames out of square tubing in 2"x3" or 2"x4" instead of relying on stock frames that have been chopped up and welded back together. They're rarely pretty, but they look to be able to take a severe beating.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, 2x3 or 2x4 rectangular tubing is pretty popular. That was my original plan for building my frame and I was going to Z it in the back and a little in the front to get a reasonably low ride height. But the car I'm buying comes with reproduction Deuce rails so I'll be using those instead. It's a different (taller) look, but I plan on a fairly healthy chop to give it the right attitude.

PFB, I just realized your coupe started out as a Special Coupe (Leatherback). Cool!

Here's a pic of my pile. Heading to Kansas tomorrow to get it. Lots of driving this weekend and lots of fab work ahead of me....
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #143
Official Scale Nazi

^^^ Sweet!
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Yeah, 2x3 or 2x4 rectangular tubing is pretty popular. That was my original plan for building my frame and I was going to Z it in the back and a little in the front to get a reasonably low ride height. But the car I'm buying comes with reproduction Deuce rails so I'll be using those instead. It's a different (taller) look, but I plan on a fairly healthy chop to give it the right attitude.

PFB, I just realized your coupe started out as a Special Coupe (Leatherback). Cool!

Here's a pic of my pile. Heading to Kansas tomorrow to get it. Lots of driving this weekend and lots of fab work ahead of me....

Damn, I'd be tempted to put that together as it, do a basic interior, and find a vintage flathead or early non-Chevy OHV motor then drive the livin' piss outta it
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Damn, I'd be tempted to put that together as it, do a basic interior, and find a vintage flathead or early non-Chevy OHV motor then drive the livin' piss outta it
Initially, that's pretty much the plan, but I plan on either a Ford 302/351 or a SBC because I want at least 350 hp and a flattie or any other "cool" mill will cost 3-5x and put out half the power. Not to mention mine will be a driver capable of long road trips so parts availability on the road would be a good thing. It won't be anything exotic, but I don't care. It'll be mine. ;)

Anyway, I'll start a new thread to prevent too much hijacking.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #146
Pebble Pounder

wow! just found this thread and it's petty killer to see some other people who "get it". been a body man and fabricater for 17 years now. carry on fellas.
ol puddin head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #147
Official Scale Nazi

Forgot to post that she won top 12 at the first car show it was entered in! Best in class too!
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #148
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonfarmboy View Post
Forgot to post that she won top 12 at the first car show it was entered in! Best in class too!
Nice job.
I'm sure by looking at it that there'll be plenty more awards in the future.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #149
MODERATOR™

Got any good pictures of that thing? Looks pretty sweet, it needs a nice backdrop.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote