Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Camera's HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Camera's HELP

ok fella's, I'm looking to get a video camera and a camera, I am thinking a d-60 Nikon right? and I have no idea on a video camera. any help will be greatly appreciated I know some of you guys do alot of pics and video.

The video camera I would like to take video at a good distance with clarity, you know for vacations, activities at school,or any kind of rock crawling.
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Someone had a nice camera that did both (turtle??)

Going to look now.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzbuildr View Post
ok fella's, I'm looking to get a video camera and a camera, I am thinking a d-60 Nikon right? and I have no idea on a video camera. any help will be greatly appreciated I know some of you guys do alot of pics and video.

The video camera I would like to take video at a good distance with clarity, you know for vacations, activities at school,or any kind of rock crawling.
You doing more of those homemade skinflicks again?
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Found it, it was TMYJeeper........

tmyjeeper's Vanquish Berg

Its only about $2500.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Someone had a nice camera that did both (turtle??)

Going to look now.
Quote:

Its only about $2500.
Yeah that is all Timmy, to expensive for me.

But canon actually has a rebel body out (lense kits available) that shoots 10mega pixels and has a hi def video camera as well. I think it is only 800.00 with a lense.
I have always been a canon person so that is what I would suggest.

Here are a couple I could find:

This one 18megapixels and 1080 HD 800.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_T2i.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

and here is a page of other options:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

If you order online, don't look for the cheapest deal, order from someone reliable like B and H
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
You doing more of those homemade skinflicks again?
You know it.

Quote:

Its only about $2500.
mere pocket change.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Yeah that is all Timmy, to expensive for me.

But canon actually has a rebel body out (lense kits available) that shoots 10mega pixels and has a hi def video camera as well. I think it is only 800.00 with a lense.
I have always been a canon person so that is what I would suggest.

Here are a couple I could find:

This one 18megapixels and 1080 HD 800.00
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Rebel_T2i.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

and here is a page of other options:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

If you order online, don't look for the cheapest deal, order from someone reliable like B and H

Thanks turtle I will check it out.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
RCC Addict

what do you want to do more of? you can get a good still camera, but it will take shit video (even the T2i) You can get a good video camera, but it will take shit stills.

If you are smart you will get one for each. If you go this route, do not get a DSLR for stills unless dropping $1500+ on lenses and speedlights is acceptable to you.

I do not know much about video cameras, so I cannot choose one over another. As for stills, I would suggest a Cannon G11 or Cannon S90. Both are great choices (S90 over the G11) If you are dead set on a DSLR, I shoot a D40 and love it but am looking to upgrade to a D90 sometime in the future. I would go with the D90 for reasons that would take me three pages to type out.

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
what do you want to do more of? you can get a good still camera, but it will take shit video (even the T2i) You can get a good video camera, but it will take shit stills.

If you are smart you will get one for each. If you go this route, do not get a DSLR for stills unless dropping $1500+ on lenses and speedlights is acceptable to you.

I do not know much about video cameras, so I cannot choose one over another. As for stills, I would suggest a Cannon G11 or Cannon S90. Both are great choices (S90 over the G11) If you are dead set on a DSLR, I shoot a D40 and love it but am looking to upgrade to a D90 sometime in the future. I would go with the D90 for reasons that would take me three pages to type out.

p!nK

Yes I was looking for a camera and a video recorder.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Yes I was looking for a camera and a video recorder.
Umm yeah don't listen to Pink, unless you thinks Tim's videos and my photos suck...

You don't need the best lenses possible when starting out. If you do no one would shoot anything.

If glass is really the case you tell me what photos I shot with my 600.00 lens and what I shot with my 60.00 lens.

Also a "speedlight" aka flash is not mandatory, yes on camera flash looks like hell, but so does a speed light on the hot shoe(although not as bad). The only time I use flash is with my radio slaves or studio lights and it is never on top of the camera.

Dont worry about a flash, get a DSLR and I promise you will be happy.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

dslr is the way to go I picked up a nikon d3000 about 3 months ago and love it, and you dont need expensive lenses to get good pictures, I highly recommend a tripod though

my setup is

d3000 w/ 18-55mm vr kit lens
55-200mm non-vr zoom lens
cheap tripod for now:?

heres some samples of what nikons lowest dslr puts out

this ones for turtle

this was shot at about 1:20 am

and this was shot at 1:30 am

Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

here is the package I have:

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3000K1.html?searchinfo=d3000

again I highly suggest a tripod of decent quality
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
RCC Addict

thanks guys I appreciate the help, I knew y'all could help because there are some sweet pics and video on this forum.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

whats wrong with a point and shoot, hell sometimes you get lucky even:P

both taken with my little Nikon coolpix l20
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Here's my favorite site to compare cameras and see which ones are the latest and greatest.

http://www.dpreview.com/

I have a Canon Rebel T1i and love it. You can see some pictures that I've taken with it in my RCC albums.

Last edited by badger; 03-03-2010 at 09:37 PM.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Where good glass really comes into play is running lower apertures and shooting in low light. Clarity these days is really good across the board with lenses, although VR is good to have, but quickly becoming a standard feature. Aperture size and focus speed are where the more expensive glass really shines. My wife and I both shoot Canon. We have a little Canon point and shoot that's been through the wringer as well as a Rebel XSi that I bought her for Christmas. Next up is a 50D this summer, but we'll probably get something like this between now and then. That lens might look a little funny on a XSi since the camera body is a bit smaller than say a 50D, but I'd rather have a decent body and good glass before upgrading to a better body. I chose to go with the XSi first to make sure my wife would stick with it, then use it as a backup or 2nd body on shoots later down the road. I told her if she stuck with it and wanted to do serious professional photography, I would buy a 50D, now it looks like I'm gonna have to put my money where my mouth is.

Last edited by Boogie; 03-04-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I recently got a Nikon D3000 with a extra lens/16gig sd card/nikon bag/extra battery and some other odds and ends for $750ish on amazon and I love it so far. Here are some shots and yes i know why did i take a picture of a grandma car, well its because its mine! haha.

RC3po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

My next camera...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-7D-2...7724359&sr=8-2

8 frames per second, 18mp, and HD video. Not a full frame, but the 5d Mark II is 3.9 fps and more $$.

And anyone who says a DSLR can't shoot quality video has not seen tim's videos.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Thanks guys for all the help, But I have 1 more question.

What should be my first lens? I would like to have something that will take close ups as well as maybe 50ft? sorry for the noob questions, but i am a noob at this.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
Official Scale Nazi

I cannot recommend the Canon Rebel XTi enough. The lens might be the only thing that falls short for you. I have about 10 different lenses though and I tend to always shoot with my 17-40mm lens though which is really close to the 18-55mm lens that comes with the Rebel. Should you need a longer zoom lens you could pick up a cheaper Sigma lens that will cover a higher range later on.

I will be very up front and admit my Canon-whore status. So much so that I buy Nikon cameras just to make sure I still dislike them occasionally. Canon's interface and menus are just much easier to navigate and use. More intuitive for sure. For Nikon's if you really know your photography terminology and are very familiar with manual cameras you'll be able to get around but it's just not as instantly accessible as the Canon.

Problem with a D60 is it uses a CCD sensor instead of a CMOS like the Rebel. For digital stills, CMOS is always going to win that battle. CCD is primarily designed for video but CMOS has come a long way so there's really no difference on the video side of things to make your decision.

As Badger said, dpreview.com is your friend. Also check out vimeo. Look for yourself and compare the video quality of the Rebel vs. D60. Canon tends to saturate colors a little more making the images more vibrant.
pigeonfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote