Default Re: Cool Pictures

Because whips are bad ass...

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #9483
Quarry Creeper

Remember when young kids were badass.

Yeah not so much anymore.

Last edited by 59sled; 11-14-2018 at 11:24 AM.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #9484
Quarry Creeper

^^Uh, kids are still badass though. Have you watched the X Games or any of those types of sports lately? BMX and skating have been taken to whole new levels of crazy.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #9485
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
^^Uh, kids are still badass though. Have you watched the X Games or any of those types of sports lately? BMX and skating have been taken to whole new levels of crazy.
That is true. There are still kids out there pushing the limits.
Just pointing out that the kids in the pics seemed like that's the way it was in just about every neighborhood in the US growing up.
59sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #9486
RCC Addict

I think that the main difference now is that so many of the "daredevil" type kids are just SO much more stupid. A lot of that mentality is driven by social media but still... such a bunch of idiots ( and still behaving like idiots into their 20's-30's). Back in the day, most of us that survived our teens tended to settle down pretty quickly as we headed into adulthood.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #9487
Quarry Creeper

It all comes down to parenting. I still see a lot of kids doing those very things, both in my area in the country, and when I go visit my little sister outside Atlanta. Good parents will make sure their kids aren't glued to video games, ipads, and social media 24/7 but go outside and get some physical playtime also. Those same types of parents tend to not raise idiots because they're involved in their kids lives, and taking an active interest in what goes on in their lives.

Granted, that number is a lot lower than when we were growing up. Not sure if it's because good parents are more rare, or because more parents are having to work longer hours or both parents having to work thus leading to less interaction with their kids, or just law of averages that as the population increases, so does the number of idiots.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #9488

My 7 year old nephew has been an outside kid from day 1. He wants to go out every day no matter the weather. Sure he has his tablet and video games, but he'd rather be outside. That's rare these days. He's also a daredevil. I think it's just born into some people and not others.

Kids have more incentive to stay inside these days because there are lots of things to do that we didn't have when we were kids or at least to the extent they have these days - internet, computers, video games, tablets, cell phones. Oh and that coupled with the fact that now everybody is shoved into row homes (sorry, "condos" and "townhouses") or developments where a half acre is a big yard. So many kids don't have room to play outside! It's sickening.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #9489
I wanna be Dave

I grew up next to my maternal grandparents. Paw Paw had 70 acres with 50 of those in pasture land. My brother and I are lucky to not have made any hospital visits with the stunts we’ve pulled.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #9490
RCC Addict

I remember bein shoved out the door to play or help dad with chores n workin on a project we had. We didnt play video games or watch tv unless it was too cold or it was after dark. I thank God our kids are the same way. Theyd rather be outside than stuck in the house playin video games, glued to tv, or internet. N my kids are more daredevils than i ever thought bout, n i dun alot of stupid crap as a kid. But we do alot with our kids n enjoy every minute of it. Kids now days get away with watever. They pretty well run the show because of lack of disapline. But u cant hardly whoop yor kid w/out gettin in trouble. Wen i was a kid, n im 38 now, my dad would tell me once n there was no 2nd chance. I got my tail beat multiple times in my life, but ive got respect for others. Kids now a days dont have a lick of respect for themselves, let alone anybody else. Some do, but theyre few n far between. Wat happen to the good ol days?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #9491
~THE SCALE SHOP~

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #9492

I don't know if I should put this in the Cool Pictures or WTH thread, but here goes...

Old 11-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #9493
I wanna be Dave

Ow.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:29 AM   #9494
Quarry Creeper

wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #9495
~THE SCALE SHOP~

we dont have a sad, but cool thread, so this is close enough
Quote:
Irv Gordon, a New York schoolteacher who became world famous for driving his 1966 Volvo 1800 S over 3 million miles, died on Thursday at age 78.

The Long Islander was traveling in China at the time of his death.

Gordon has been a cult hero among Volvo fans for decades, having set the world record for most miles driven by a car’s original owner in 1998 when his red coupe broke the 1.69 million-mile mark, thanks to his 125-mile daily commute and frequent road trips.

The odometer hit 2 million in 2002, and then 3 million while he was driving through Alaska in 2013. Gordon took the car to all 49 of the continental United States and across Europe, but never made it to Hawaii.

Gordon religiously maintained the car and only had the engine rebuilt twice, the last time in 2011. It had over 3.4 million miles on it when he showed up at the Volvo Club of America annual meet in Vermont this past September, according to Hemmings.

In his later years, Gordon regularly teamed up with Volvo for events and became a promotional partner of Castrol oil, which he said was the only brand he’d ever used.

Gordon once told the New York Post that he offered to sell the car back to Volvo for $1 per mile, but they didn't take him up on it.

Gordon’s daughter Danielle posted to Facebook from her home in Argentina that he’d messaged her the night before his death and said he was having the time of his life.

She added that she wasn’t very involved in his day to day life, however, and was asking his friends for help in finding a lawyer to deal with his legal affairs.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/irv-gor...les-dead-at-78

STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #9496
Rock Crawler

Nice P1800.

Volvo made good engines back then in the 60ties, my first car a 121 also with a B 18 engine in it would smoke like insane if you floored it and let it rip.
But if you just kept it at the speed limits it dident smoke one bit.
Sadly i never got to drop the B 20 into it, i spent many house at my apprenticeship restoring that engine to better than factory standard.

Hell i even polished the connecting rods to near mirror finish and balanced them to within 0.1 grams - refurbish the crankshaft - hone the cylinders up to oversize and so on, all just to throw it all out some 10 - 15 years after the Volvo left me.

Today it seem hard to find any shop that can adjust 2 SU carbs like that, simply not on the curriculum for gear heads / grease-monkeys nowadays.

Last edited by Peaker; 11-19-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:45 PM   #9497
I wanna be Dave

I had a '64 Austin Healy Sprite that had twin SU's. When they're adjusted right, the car runs like a top. Fortunately for me, the previous owner knew how to do it, and showed me how to do it correctly. The explanation took longer than the actual adjustment.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #9498
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I had a '64 Austin Healy Sprite that had twin SU's. When they're adjusted right, the car runs like a top. Fortunately for me, the previous owner knew how to do it, and showed me how to do it correctly. The explanation took longer than the actual adjustment.
There used to be a special tool for it, some kind of vacuum thing. An old employer had a 62 Daimler with a very neat little v8 hemi..2.5 liter, the little tool came with the car.
Cool mill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_V8_engines
vonclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #9499
I wanna be Dave

My friend Tim said you can also use a hose like a stethoscope to listen to the air going through the carbs to synchronize the carbs close enough to run right.

3rd paragraph from the bottom explains this method: http://www.sucarbs.com/?page_id=20
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #9500
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonclod View Post
There used to be a special tool for it, some kind of vacuum thing. An old employer had a 62 Daimler with a very neat little v8 hemi..2.5 liter, the little tool came with the car.

Cool mill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_V8_engines

Motorcycles with 4 cylinders /carbs needed the carbs synchronized, fancy term for balancing air flow with gauges. Electronic Fuel injection changed all that.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote