Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: LHS Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan732 View Post
i see exactly what your saying. id love to get the kit but like i said, money for the electronics is an issue for me rite now. or am i exaggerating this? i mean will it cost me alot for decent electronics? i know and completely understand that this whole thing is kinda off topic to this thread and i probably shouldn't be posting this here but can you help a noob out? i realy want to get into this hobby on a good start if i get the kit. i dont know anything about rc electronics, my current hobby is n scale trains. so, can any of you helpful gentleman out there show me the light to the
I can understand the attractiveness of the included electronics for someone just getting into the hobby, but a vast majority of the RTR electronics are barely adequate for the job at hand, are short lived, and replaced soon after purchase.

Good quality electronics can be had fairly inexpensive.

There are nice 2.4 radios available from all the major manufactures for under $100.00, servos like the Hitec 645MG are a great value for under $40.00, and the Castle Creations Sidewinder is a very versatile and inexpensive ESC and runs around $75.00.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I can understand the attractiveness of the included electronics for someone just getting into the hobby, but a vast majority of the RTR electronics are barely adequate for the job at hand, are short lived, and replaced soon after purchase.

Good quality electronics can be had fairly inexpensive.

There are nice 2.4 radios available from all the major manufactures for under $100.00, servos like the Hitec 645MG are a great value for under $40.00, and the Castle Creations Sidewinder is a very versatile and inexpensive ESC and runs around $75.00.
and all the electronics are compatible and be ran together besides lipo/nimh and non brushless/brushless stuff right?
Bryan732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
and all the electronics are compatible and be ran together besides lipo/nimh and non brushless/brushless stuff right?
Sure, the Sidewinder can run both brushed and brushless motors, can be run up to 3S lipo and 12 cell NiMh packs.

If you choose to run 3S lipo, you'll also want to pick up a Castle BEC.

Last edited by dezfan; 08-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Sure, the Sidewinder can run both brushed and brushless motors, is safe can be run up to 3S lipo and 12 cell NiMh packs.

If you choose to run 3S lipo, you'll also want to pick up a Castle BEC.
okay thanks, im probably going to end up doing nimh. so, basically. when its time to buy the electronics, any vender on this fourm is a okay right?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Holmes Hobbies, TCS, and RPP to name a few, are all great RCC vendors.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Brians Hobbyland Also.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Holmes Hobbies, TCS, and RPP to name a few, are all great RCC vendors.
awesome, thanks a bunch bud now are their any special tools i need for the build? wrench, driver ect? besides that, i think im good to go. my last questions can probably be found in the paint and body sect about the paint i need. once again thanks a bunch on your insight, i guess the whole electronics thing was too overwelming for me with all the rc electronics to choose from out there
Old 08-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
awesome, thanks a bunch bud now are their any special tools i need for the build? wrench, driver ect? besides that, i think im good to go. my last questions can probably be found in the paint and body sect about the paint i need. once again thanks a bunch on your insight, i guess the whole electronics thing was too overwelming for me with all the rc electronics to choose from out there
The kits include basic tools, but a good set of allen drivers, pliers, dykes, scissors, and screw drivers will definitely speed the building process.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The kits include basic tools, but a good set of allen drivers, pliers, dykes, scissors, and screw drivers will definitely speed the building process.
awesome! i got confidence flowing through my veins now yup, its kit hands down for me! thanks again
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Glad to help.

Go slow, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Glad to help.

Go slow, the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.
awesome, perfect for my ADD
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
How are lesbians going to help us lol.

Back on topic, I like wrenching on my rig almost as much as driving it, I couldn't imagine bringing it to a LHS to have them put on a set of tires for me, or install a new ESC. If I don't know how to do something, I'll just search on how to do it.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
How are lesbians going to help us lol.
in the back of my mind i was thinking the same thing
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Glad I'm not alone on this, Yeah I can see the extra work helping keep the LHS open, but they would probaly do better by selling the parts and have the moron screw it up and then selling him the parts again...lol

Bryan732, I was a noob 6 months ago I bought my honcho kit, put it together ran it 2 times and then started moding it... Buy a star and check out the classifieds, lots of good used high end electronics.

Kent
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #35
Who's your Daddy-0!

I hope guys keep taking their RC's into the LHS! I get $25 a hour in labor to fix them from my LHS Around here it not just a simple fix most of the time. It's I ran my E-Revo into the curb at 50mph head on! The guys have the $ to fix them and would rather pay me to do it. But it's win-win for me. When they get tired of it they call me wanting to sell them. I tell them... "Well I remember fixing that rig several times! You paid $500 for it new, Ill give you $100 cash for it now."

A lot of times RC's are like 1:1 cars to some people. Most of us can change our own oil, rotate our tires, put new plugs and wires in, change a filter, ect... But we take it to Jiffy Lube and pay them to do it!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post
Buy a star and check out the classifieds, lots of good used high end electronics.
thanks for the tip, i think i will
Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
thanks for the tip, i think i will
Welcome to the addiction
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Welcome to the addiction
thanks, i have a feeling i need two jobs now
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

The only time I take mine in, is when the Flux Capacitor goes out!
wanantrdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #40
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
I hope guys keep taking their RC's into the LHS! I get $25 a hour in labor to fix them from my LHS Around here it not just a simple fix most of the time. It's I ran my E-Revo into the curb at 50mph head on! The guys have the $ to fix them and would rather pay me to do it. But it's win-win for me. When they get tired of it they call me wanting to sell them. I tell them... "Well I remember fixing that rig several times! You paid $500 for it new, Ill give you $100 cash for it now."

A lot of times RC's are like 1:1 cars to some people. Most of us can change our own oil, rotate our tires, put new plugs and wires in, change a filter, ect... But we take it to Jiffy Lube and pay them to do it!
X2 The repair for alot of people isn't about not knowing or being to dumb to do it. there are alot of single mothers with kids, and frankly adults that don't have the time.... for us its $15 per 1/2 hour labor.

I think what kills most hobby shops is the peon behind the counter, I don't know how many shop I've walked into where the "clerk" for lack of a better term was some Dipshit kid who only purpose for being there was to text his boyfriends....

Now that I've had a chance to work/setup a hobby shop where I have some sort of control of how things are done I've taken all the crap I hated from other stores out to make ours as helpful, useful and buyer/owner friendly as possible.

if any perspective employee cant answer moderately challenging questions regarding the hobby they are out of any chance of employment plain and simple... I get asked daily for apps, I rarely hand any out... I already know who I wan't to hire and they are aware that and when positions are available.

Equal opportunity doesn't mean guaranteed oppertunity
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote