Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: LHS Why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LHS Why?

So I went into the LHS today to pick up a Novak Rooster crawler esc. I got that and a bunch of other stuff I really didn't need.

As I was talking to the guy I see like 10 trucks, mostly short course, and I ask him whats up with those?

His reply was that they are trucks that the owners brought in to be fixed. WTF who takes their rc to the LHS to be fixed? Whats wrong with these peeps?

He goes on to tell me that they get 20 or so rc's a week that need repairs.

For gods sake one of them was in to get new tires....

I guess I just don't understand that mentalty....
thumper68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Thank the RTR "revolution".
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper68 View Post
So I went into the LHS today to pick up a Novak Rooster crawler esc. I got that and a bunch of other stuff I really didn't need.

As I was talking to the guy I see like 10 trucks, mostly short course, and I ask him whats up with those?

His reply was that they are trucks that the owners brought in to be fixed. WTF who takes their rc to the LHS to be fixed? Whats wrong with these peeps?

He goes on to tell me that they get 20 or so rc's a week that need repairs.

For gods sake one of them was in to get new tires....

I guess I just don't understand that mentalty....
People are lazy, not mechanically inclined or just have to much money on their hands imo.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
20K Club

I have pretty much stopped working on my own stuff. My buddy Aaron (asrcrawlers) just picks up my broken shit and brings it back fixed! Plus I have Jerry (ZORLAC) build all my new scalers. Gives me more time to design new stuff and post whore on RCC
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You think the tires bad. I went in to the LHS one day and seen a MRC sitting there and it looked like my buddies I ask him what its doing there and he said "It needed a nut and bolt in the servo horn and the kid was clueless on what that was". My LHS is pretty straight forward, nice guy, even gives me stuff for free sometimes. I took mine to him one time, when I first got it to get something soldered on to it. That was it.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Same thing can be said about a lot of things. Computer geeks probly laugh at all of us that have to take our computers in to get fixed, mechanics probly scoff at the idea of somebody having to go in and get their oil changed or brakes worked on...etc, etc.

I know a guy that has a lot on his plate with his business and what not..loves to take his stampede out and bash with his kid in the front of his house...couldn't tell ya one thing about his RC car but he enjoys it none the less. He could have went to wally world and bought a Nikko, but would they fix it if something went wrong with it? Its a hobby for a lot of us, but for some its still just a toy. At least its pumping some revenue into your LHS.
slimeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

My daddy once said, "If you can't take care of something, whether it's a rod, a gun or a woman, you don't deserve it."

Words to live by.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

I have been fixing a friend's helicopter for him, and as a trade off I get to keep it for a while and fly it myself.
Merrixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Thank the RTR "revolution".
when i get my RTR honcho im gunna take it all apart and put it back together just so i know it better. can i even take it apart and put it back together though like i could the kit?
Bryan732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Without that "RTR Revolution", your LHS would have likely been closed long ago. Parts and service/repair work is what keeps them in business.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan732 View Post
when i get my RTR honcho im gunna take it all apart and put it back together just so i know it better. can i even take it apart and put it back together though like i could the kit?
You can't because it's all glued and sodered on
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
You can't because it's all glued and sodered on
what?! realy?! WTF? im getting the kit then! i mean realy... you cant buy a RTR and call that a hobby if its put together like that! its nice when you do something all yourself to were you can say "i built that". you get what im saying here? if i wanted some pre-made stuck together chit i could go to toys r us. thanks allot for posting this man, i would have been so pissed if i bought the RTR and had to find this out myself.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
what?! realy?! WTF? im getting the kit then! i mean realy... you cant buy a RTR and call that a hobby if its put together like that! its nice when you do something all yourself to were you can say "i built that". you get what im saying here? if i wanted some pre-made stuck together chit i could go to toys r us. thanks allot for posting this man, i would have been so pissed if i bought the RTR and had to find this out myself.
Dude he was joking, slow your roll.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Dude he was joking, slow your roll.
you guys suck already im still gunna get the RTR then because i just dont have the money for electronics thanks for gettin me calmed down
Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
you guys suck already im still gunna get the RTR then because i just dont have the money for electronics thanks for gettin me calmed down
I wish I would've gotten the kit after I got my RTR honcho.
country_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
Without that "RTR Revolution", your LHS would have likely been closed long ago. Parts and service/repair work is what keeps them in business.
Didn't stop several "local" hobby shops open.

The only thing that keeps the other local shop open is the off road track, dirt oval track, carpet track, 1/8 paved road course, and the fact that owner is loaded doesn't hurt.

To each there own, but as I see it, RTR makes RC a disposable hobby, there is no sense of accomplishment or emotional attachment to a RTR.

Buy it, break it, move on.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I look at this like a NASCAR team taking their car to Pepboys to get a tune up...

For me, half of the fun in the hobby is the wrenching, the tweaking, geeking, and redesigning. Maybe I am easily amused, but I take great delight in seeing something I took apart, repaired/modified/upgraded and put back together run.

As far as kits go, sure, they are fun to build, and there is a bit of pride when they are under their own power, but all you are really doing is following directions and putting it together. The real benefit is knowing the guts of the RC, which allows you to troubleshoot and repair with confidence and speed. Now, some of the custom crawlers and scalers that peeps build, there is reason to be proud.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Didn't stop several "local" hobby shops open.

The only thing that keeps the other local shop open is the off road track, dirt oval track, carpet track, 1/8 paved road course, and the fact that owner is loaded doesn't hurt.

To each there own, but as I see it, RTR makes RC a disposable hobby, there is no sense of accomplishment or emotional attachment to a RTR.

Buy it, break it, move on.
i see exactly what your saying. id love to get the kit but like i said, money for the electronics is an issue for me rite now. or am i exaggerating this? i mean will it cost me alot for decent electronics? i know and completely understand that this whole thing is kinda off topic to this thread and i probably shouldn't be posting this here but can you help a noob out? i realy want to get into this hobby on a good start if i get the kit. i dont know anything about rc electronics, my current hobby is n scale trains. so, can any of you helpful gentleman out there show me the light to the
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i see exactly what your saying. id love to get the kit but like i said, money for the electronics is an issue for me rite now. or am i exaggerating this? i mean will it cost me alot for decent electronics? i know and completely understand that this whole thing is kinda off topic to this thread and i probably shouldn't be posting this here but can you help a noob out? i realy want to get into this hobby on a good start if i get the kit. i dont know anything about rc electronics, my current hobby is n scale trains. so, can any of you helpful gentleman out there show me the light to the
decent electronics i need for a good start on my first kit?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

i work at my lhs part time and you wouldnt belive half the stories. of people bringing in rc's to have tires changed,servo's replaced,pinon or spur gears changed ,batteries charged wrong cause they dont want to follow directions or learn how to. i have to hold back from saying dude are you serious you want me to change your tires?.we change $25 an hour labor.most of the people just want to run it and break it.dont want to learn how to fix or care about it.they mostly dont want to put the time in.
champ7times is offline   Reply With Quote