Notices

Thread: Why is FedEx still in business?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Why is FedEx still in business?

OK so I am a bit steamed.
Facts:
-FedEx delivers packages to peoples homes. Some packages require signatures upon delivery.
-FedEx delivers packages between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Sometimes earlier and sometimes later I am sure.
-Many, many, many, some would say most, Americans work between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM EVERY week day.
-On a week day you can request that FedEx hold a package at the FedEx warehouse and then go pick-up the package during FedEx business hours.
-My local FedEx Warehouse has business hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
-FedEx will deliver a package on Saturday (I think this costs more).
-Some people also work away from home on Saturday between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM.
-I DO NOT work at FedEx.
-I live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city in the US.
-The FedEx Warehouse is approximately 30 minutes drive one way WITHOUT traffic from where I live. At 8:30 am-ish or 4:30 pm-ish it might take a couple of hours to make that drive, again, one way.

Last edited by lowslowTJ; 08-18-2010 at 09:19 PM.
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I used FedEx once and that was enough for me.
DRCrawlGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Yeah that is pretty stupid.

I was mad at USPS becuase i had to sign off for my lipos and they come to deliever them and they never even knocked becuase they heard my dog. So they left a note saying we missed you and they gave me an addres to go to that was all the way across town. So i go in there and they tell me they gave me the wrong address and to go over to the post office thats right near my house.

Bastards.
shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Fed Ex is still in business because they can get it done better than doo doo brown and rain sleet or little snow blue!

They all suck, but Fed Ex sucks the least.
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
OK so I am a bit steamed.
Facts:
-FedEx delivers packages to peoples homes. Some packages require signatures upon delivery.
-FedEx delivers packages between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. Sometimes earlier and sometimes later I am sure.
-Many, many, many, some would say most, Americans work between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM EVERY week day.
-On a week day you can request that FedEx hold a package at the FedEx warehouse and then go pick-up the package during FedEx business hours.
-My local FedEx Warehouse has business hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
-FedEx will deliver a package on Saturday (I think this costs more).
-Some people also work away from home on Saturday between 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM.
-I DO NOT work at FedEx.
-I live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city in the US.
-The FedEx Warehouse is approximately 30 minutes drive one way WITHOUT traffic from where I live. At 8:30 am-ish or 4:30 pm-ish it might take a couple of hours to make that drive, again, one way.
I have been shipping with FedEx for yrs now and never had issues or complaints from my buyers. As far a signatures go that all depends on the shipper if he/she requires it or not, me my self do require a signature on all my items. 1. it proves it was there and will show who signed for it so the buyer cant come back and say hey i didn't get it. 2. It guarantees that it isn't being left at your door when your not home and come home to find out that your 300 dollar item was ganked from your front porch because you were not home and FedEx just left it for the taking. As far as the times go it really depends on how you chose to ship, overnight ,ground etc I do everything i ship priority overnight which guarantees it there before 10am the next day after i ship. You can choose Saturday delivery for a extra charge. It really isn't FedEx it all boils down to your shipper and what options they chose
01XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I work for the post office (no i dont carry the mail) here is what I can tel lyou about mail flow and the people that deliver it. fedex and ups have tracking and the post office does not. they are not allowed to. all they have really is registered mail, however we track in house but not for customers. the generic answer is this....all parcel drivers/mailmen have a time frame with which to get the product to the customers door or "the man" will yell at them. the management dudes really dont care about the customer because in my opinion they feel this.....if they make a customer mad then that customer will use someone else who will eventually make them mad too eventually winding back up with whomever mad them mad first. its a vicious circle. i have walked into a post office with my maintence badge on to buy stamps and ship packages and get treated like I am a second class citizen. I complain but it does no good. customer service in all parcel delivery companies is subpar at best. volume vilume vilume. if they deliver 2 million pcs a day and 100 people complain.....well thats not to bad and they can live with it.
ctracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Using Canada Post,I just pay a bit extra for expedited,which gives a tracking number and insurance and also add a required signature at the other end,only 3 problems in 8 years.I think the courier services such as fed ex,ups etc are just a money grab,they charge you on top of what it already cost to ship and item and if the can't find you and don't call when you specifically state to call if any prob and just say address not found,or my favorite excuse to date was "I rang the door bell for 5 minutes and no answer..well I am retired and am home all day and the dog would see the truck driving up the 300 ft driveway,can't get my without being seen.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01XJ View Post
I have been shipping with FedEx for yrs now and never had issues or complaints from my buyers. As far a signatures go that all depends on the shipper if he/she requires it or not, me my self do require a signature on all my items. 1. it proves it was there and will show who signed for it so the buyer cant come back and say hey i didn't get it. 2. It guarantees that it isn't being left at your door when your not home and come home to find out that your 300 dollar item was ganked from your front porch because you were not home and FedEx just left it for the taking. As far as the times go it really depends on how you chose to ship, overnight ,ground etc I do everything i ship priority overnight which guarantees it there before 10am the next day after i ship. You can choose Saturday delivery for a extra charge. It really isn't FedEx it all boils down to your shipper and what options they chose
Did you read my post? It seems not.

I am not complaining that they require a signature. I understand why they require a signature. My post is about the fact that if you cant be there to sign for the package during regular business hours (9-5, 8:30-4:30, (Dolly Parton sang a song about it ~30 years ago!!!))then you should have another option to GO get the package. I am also trying to point out that those of us at work can't go to the warehouse and get the package if their hours of operation are the same as regular business hours.

This has happened to me enough times to wonder why people still use FedEx.

I also have and will let the shipper know about my issues.

I would, as the customer who is paying for the shipping in the end, like to have the option of having the guy leave the package on my door step. I will/would take responsibility for that.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

That's why I ship all the big stuff to my work. It helps that we deal with all three carriers, FedEx, UPS, and USPS. But all the places I have worked will let you have stuff shipped there, just for the very reasons stated above.
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

- USPS has never been an issue with me, plus the post office is 2 blocks away here in my sleepy neighborhood. Although it does suck when it's signature required since I leave work and get home when they are not even open. Only day off is Monday when I can get in there.

- FedEx has always been trouble. We hate it at work as it's a 50% chance they have damaged something. Tracking numbers that are almost worthless. We've also been waiting for them to come pick up a package since April..... it's theirs now, just a $500 door panel.

- UPS, nothing but praise! I love the guys/gals in brown. Tracking numbers that work! No problems even when I had them pick up parts from my home. I will always use them if something needs to be tracked.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #11
Built, not bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
That's why I ship all the big stuff to my work. It helps that we deal with all three carriers, FedEx, UPS, and USPS. But all the places I have worked will let you have stuff shipped there, just for the very reasons stated above.

X2.
I do the same thing due to my work hours.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

the way the world works is really dumb
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:51 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctracy View Post
I work for the post office (no i dont carry the mail) here is what I can tel lyou about mail flow and the people that deliver it. fedex and ups have tracking and the post office does not. they are not allowed to. all they have really is registered mail, however we track in house but not for customers. the generic answer is this....all parcel drivers/mailmen have a time frame with which to get the product to the customers door or "the man" will yell at them. the management dudes really dont care about the customer because in my opinion they feel this.....if they make a customer mad then that customer will use someone else who will eventually make them mad too eventually winding back up with whomever mad them mad first. its a vicious circle. i have walked into a post office with my maintence badge on to buy stamps and ship packages and get treated like I am a second class citizen. I complain but it does no good. customer service in all parcel delivery companies is subpar at best. volume vilume vilume. if they deliver 2 million pcs a day and 100 people complain.....well thats not to bad and they can live with it.
OMG and this guy works there
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

FedEx is better for businesses hands down on time critical shipments and products arriving in a box still resembling a rectanglular or square cube.

I hate FedEx home delivery...to your house before 8pm and well I never ship to my house because I'm not there until later, so its fun unwrapping new stuff at work.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
X2.
Same here! And, the best part.....the wife doesnt find out about most of my purchases.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

On a side note, I had to return an item for work yesterday (something I sent off to be recalibrated and it was performed incorrectly)....the company gave me their account number and told me to ship it back to them quickly. I go up to FedEx who puts it in a 1'x1'x1.5' box, puts a LOT of bubble wrap on it. It is going to New Jersey. I wanted it there by midday tomorrow. All of this for a grand total of $9. The lady said that is the cheapest rates she has EVER seen. They must ship one or two packages through FedEx.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #17
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
That's why I ship all the big stuff to my work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62PYRO View Post
X2.
That is the ONLY way it works for me also.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
I would, as the customer who is paying for the shipping in the end, like to have the option of having the guy leave the package on my door step. I will/would take responsibility for that.
You have that option now. Just leave a signed & dated note authorizing them to leave the package and they will. Their tracking will tell you exactly when it's scheduled to arrive, so leave the note on the door when you go to work. Never had an instance when this didn't work.
CPE MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE MT View Post
You have that option now. Just leave a signed & dated note authorizing them to leave the package and they will. Their tracking will tell you exactly when it's scheduled to arrive, so leave the note on the door when you go to work. Never had an instance when this didn't work.
I did leave a note on the door authoring them to leave it on my door step with my signature and date. Their tag has IN PERSON ONLY written on it. No package.

It seems that FedEx is concerned with pleasing the shipper who is often not really the person who is paying for the service. I mean when you order something you are paying for it and the shipping, or if they offer "free shipping" the shipping comes out of the profit the seller is making. I guess that most big companies who sell stuff mail order are more likely to have a lawyer on retainer or staff than a home owner so FedEx is just playing the odds to protect their interests.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #20
RCC Addict

So why not find an alternate address to ship to? Work, friend, family, etc? I ship everything to my office so I don't have to worry.

They all have there pluses and minuses, I think USPS is the worst though, by a very large margin.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote