Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Ever have one of those days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ever have one of those days?

Have you ever had one of those days, your driving along minding your own business when suddenly you notice something just not right?
There I was coming up to an intersection starting to slow down when suddenly "bang" and I watch my tire continue down the road. I'm watching this 65lbs. of alum. and rubber bounce down the road going faster and faster. It hit's a curb and flys 15+ feet into the air then continues to bounce through the intersection missing cars then heads towards the main window of an EMS station. It ended up missing it and stopping in their parking lot. A truck driver was nice enough to load it up and bring it back to me. It was about 200yards from where my truck came to a rest. It took me about 60yards to finally come to a stop.

Don't believe me, enjoy the pics.

Thank god I didn't have my daughter with me and no one got hurt or killed. This could have turned out a lot worse if the tire had struck a car.

Worst part was I didn't make it to LHS. I'm only making jokes now because my nerves have finally settled and I know no one was hurt/killed.

Oh well, heading to Texas in two days so I hope to forget about this for the next ten days.

Last edited by Jester666; 03-11-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Shitty dude! Had it happen to me before. Luckily it was a 68 VW bug Scary shit none the less. Glad everything turned our OK.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Dang i woulda poop'd my pants lol
Atleast your ok though
rockcrawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Dad has had that happen a couple times with "highrail" pickup trucks, never sounded like a fun experience......now I just have to remember to check the right rear on my XJ before leaving for work tomorrow now.......

Last edited by BJoe; 03-11-2011 at 10:56 PM.
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

Only time I ever had that happen was back in my lowrider days...Went to hit 3 wheel around a corner and shredded the every thread on the lugs and watched my rear tire go flying past..It does suck, but funnier than hell watching me drive home in reverse 3 wheel

Glad it wasn't worse for ya...
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
Oh well, heading to Texas in two days so I hope to forget about this for the next ten days.
Just make sure to tighten those lug nuts before you head down here....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I had something similar happen on the way home from a wheeling trip 2 years ago. I was in my 93 YJ with waggy D44s. I'd had a wheel seal start leaking just before the trip (2 hours one way plus wheeling) but didn't think much of it since it was so slow. We had a blast wheeling all day with no issues and nothing getting worse. On the way home we stopped for fuel and when I got out there was smoke coming from my right rear wheel well. If you've ever smelled burnt gear oil you know what you've got going on real quick. So I filled up and proceeded to pull it over to a side lot and check some things. I didn't have any excessive play anywhere so I decided that the burning oil was simply from it getting in the brake drum and went on my way. About 25 miles down the road as we are driving into a small town on a two lane road and the speed limit drops from 55 to 35 my wife gives the "be careful...there might be cops" speech so I begin coasting and then BAM! The right rear drops and I look up to see my 37" swamper, steel whee, and 30 spline D44 shaft tumbling down the road in the dark! I get the Jeep pulled over and tell my wife to grab the flashlight cuz we gotta find the tire before someone hits it. We found it a good 100-120 feet from where I slid to a stop in a construction lot in front of a bulldozer that was parked facing the same direction we were traveling...

When I saw that thing pass me all I could think about was it impaling a car and driver coming the other direction! Come to find out that whoever installed the bearings before I got the axle had put that side on backwards. This is the style with the seal, bearing and race, and retainer ring that press on to the shaft. They had installed it with the bearing facing the wrong direction. This was causing the gear oil to pile up behind it and get forced out of the seal as well as encouraging the shaft to want to walk out of the housing. This thing rode on the retainer plate for so long that it pulled the retainer ring off and then when it finally came out of the axle it left a spiral design down the length of the shaft!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
burnt gear oil
Ooo....that stuff smells like ass when it's fresh, I cant imagine what it smells like burnt.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

It's not pleasant.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Rotors look new. Did someone forget to tighten the lugs? Glad everyone is ok.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Shitty luck my friend. Glad you're ok though, and nobody got hurt! Hope the damage was minimal!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Rotors look new. Did someone forget to tighten the lugs? Glad everyone is ok.
That's what I was thinking...
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Did you just forget to retourqe your lug nuts, or do you have any enemy that may have loosened them up for you?

Glad nobody was hurt
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
R.I.P. Chip

A lady locally was just killed when a set of duals off a semi came off on the freeway and hit her car head on. He husband was in the car behind her and saw the whole thing happen.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Glad it all turned out okay with you loose wheel.

My dad was killed by a wheel that came off a travel trailer he was following. The wheel went into on coming traffic and bounced off the front of a car and took off like a rocket ship and when through the cab of his truck killing him in the process.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

On my back from our Nat qualifier, a buddy's Dodge lost a back wheel on the HWY, while he was towing his toy hauler, with his samurai in it and his wife and kids in the truck. He had to stop the truck, with the trailer brakes. I came up on it, when he was on the side of the road. They were super scared. They're lucky he was able to safely stop the truck, because it was on a 4 lane hwy, riding a ledge on the side of a hill. And someone is lucky they werent coming in the opposite lane, and didnt get his 35 in their lap. I will have to find a pic. Pretty scary stuff, losing a wheel while driving...
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

That must be a Dodge "thing". I had a front wheel come loose on going down the interstate. Luckily I pulled off and found it before it came off while running 70+
greencrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

It is a dodge thing, did you recently have a new wheel bearing put on? I bought the cheapo bearing for my truck same thing you got 6" lift on 35's could not figure out why my steering was still loose lugnuts were tight. come to find out it was the cheapo foreign bearings auto zone had, stud threads stipped out drivers wheel went rolling did 2 360's right in the middle of the E way looked like something out of a movie...

No one got hurt in my accident and I'm really glad no got hurt in yours..

best wishes
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Shitty dude! Had it happen to me before. Luckily it was a 68 VW bug Scary shit none the less. Glad everything turned our OK.
Lost a rear wheel on a 72 VW fastback once.
I remember a vibration, bump, then my back wheel passing me.

"Jester" looks like a nice truck, good to hear no one was hurt.
rollerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I have seen the aftermath of a stray 35 jumping the median wall of a freeway and landing in the passengers seat in one of those boxy Mercedes suvs. Nobody killed, but the damage was impressive. I think it lost some momentum when it jumped the wall, but the benz was coming 65 the other way

There is an old youtube video of some guy filling his car with gas when in the background you can see a stray set of duals coming right for him. If you can find it, that would be the definition of a bad day, unlucky lottery winner.

Jeeps and Scouts are kinda famous for losing a rear axle like that, happened to a buddy of mine. It was only a 33 but that road sign didn't have a chance.

Takes a few showers to get rid of that burnt gear oil smell if you happen to get sprayed with it too, goddamm Komatsus
fatbastard is offline   Reply With Quote