Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Is your job really worth the money? or do I just sound stupid..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is your job really worth the money? or do I just sound stupid..

Well I recently merged my mobile repair buisiness with the largest mobile repair company in the country and though the money is way better, I got a shiny brand new truck loaded with all the goodies and more benefits and percs than I ever could have afforded or even offered at any of my previous jobs, I am now at the mercy of a company that isnt even in my state and working my ass off about 16+ hours a day plus however long it takes me to drive from location to location and then back to my home way out in the boonies.

It sounds wierd but I miss the good ole days of barely gettin by and spending way too much time with my wife and kids..(dogs).

An maybe once a day I get to sneek into the hobby room and look at all my unfinished projects and parts just waiting on me.

So is it really worth it...?

Tyler
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 AM   #2

Wow, I read this and for a second I thought I wrote it. I'm also a diesel tech in Reno Nevada. Everyday I walk by my room full of unfinished projects, then I walk by my son and gf saying bye to them as I'm off to work. Then I get into my car and drive past my unfinished jeep. If I could I would take a pay cut to have a normal schedule.
Ryan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yep, when I first starter working, I busted my ass (regular 60-80 hours per week....mostly out of personal choice, the scare of injuring a person REALLY worried me at first)...and it took its toll on my family. It was hard for me to make the distinction between work and home. Now I put in about 50 hours per week and my family life is great. I enjoy my job and it is well worth the money.

One thing that I find VERY helpful is to NOT complain (or even really talk about) work when I get home. If you do discuss work, then you allow it to encroach into your family time....

Last edited by JeremyH; 04-15-2011 at 06:31 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Suck it up!

I know how you feel man, I have a mobile rv service business. Being independent has got a lot of perks, but the money isn't as great as it was when I worked for a dealership.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My friend just got over about 4 years of doing the busting his ass.

He is now self employed and spending more time with the kids. He couldn't have done it without those 4 years of overworking himself and making the money to take care of things.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I think it's a catch-22. I work pretty long hours, then go home and work on the house or in the yard. I have three boys. I like to show them, that life takes work, and working hard it part of it at times. My oldest is only 5, so he's now to the point where he can start helping more and more. I also work this hard because my wife stays at home with them and I have the only income. Though I do try to take a day off here and there to spend with them. And certain nights, for the couple of hours I do get to play and hang out with them, I try to make it a fun couple of hours. They do complain sometimes that I do work too much, but then my wife reminds them, we have what we have because I do work as much as I do. I hope my boys inherit my work ethic.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

you guys are doing it all wrong.

the whole point to life is to work as little as possible. unless work is your life then go nuts. but thats really sad.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

working my ass off now so when I retire, I can retire. I don't want to be in my 70's and having to work somewhere because I have to just to eat, not because I'm bored.

and the working a little as possible mentality is whats wrong with the world today. To many people wanting to coast by and when in a jam hold their hand out. Get off your ass, work, SAVE money for the bad times.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Slave View Post

the whole point to life is to work as little as possible. unless work is your life then go nuts. but thats really sad.
I bet your boss loves you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBA069 View Post
and the working a little as possible mentality is whats wrong with the world today. To many people wanting to coast by and when in a jam hold their hand out. Get off your ass, work, SAVE money for the bad times.
He's an illegal Canadian immigrant....cut him some slack.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
working my ass off now so when I retire, I can retire. I don't want to be in my 70's and having to work somewhere because I have to just to eat, not because I'm bored.

We weren't put on this earth with the goal of maintaining gainful employment. Nor were we conceived to consume material goods and pay taxes to a government entity.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Theres only a year left to all of us anyway. So I say put food on the table and leave the rest to the single over achievers. My taurus will get me to the same job just as fast with the same inside temp (a/c heat), probably a smoother ride and less gas. Not starting a vehicle fight, just saying we NEED alot less than we think we do. Yes its a taurus, but 1. its paid for 2. insurance is cheap 3. it fits the family. I can focus the money Im saving on activities w/ my kids and such. I dont do over 40 hrs a whole lot but my schedule is always jacked up and I never see my kids for bedtime or after school, maybe 20 min in the morning before school. I work saturdays and they are greatly affected by it all. In the end you go to work to provide for your family, so they can be happy and healthy. But it sounds like the only happy and healthy one in this story is your new employer. Good luck either way man. I just took a paycut to move to a job with 8-5 hours so I can be w/ my family more.
camobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
We weren't put on this earth with the goal of maintaining gainful employment. Nor were we conceived to consume material goods and pay taxes to a government entity.
I've solved your problem of not wanting to monetarily contribute to society, but still not be a burden on society.........volunteer! Work for free!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments guys, I posted this last night when I got home... then I got to thinking I was just gonna get a bunch of " quit bitching " replies...lol

I'm not bitching about it my wife works..well goes to a place for a few hours a day but doesnt really bring home any more than enough to pay for gas to and from, And me being the sole provider it's deffinatly in or best interest for me to just keep it up for as long as I can, Maybe I'll finaly see that bank account grow...

we all get used to our situations we must adapt shit in this economy your doing good if your working and surviving let alone doing above and beyond.

Tyler
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
If we knew why were on this third rock from the sun that would help fill in the blanks of many questions. Me, I work a full time job and do side jobs. I do all the extra work as can. I have a set goal of money to rat hole every month for retirement and for my kids. More than once that savings has kept me going in bad times. Like with the last 3 pay cuts and my car getting totaled. Not working hard and spending every dime I got when I got it, I wouldn't have had funds for the rainy days.

I don't want to be like the old guy at the gas station I use. In his 70's, cleaning toilets because he ran out of money and no family to take care of him.

As for the taxes part, you have the choice not to pay them. You wont get shot over it, but you may loose what material things you have then be put into a small room with a crappy view.

I still spend time with my kids, I take time for myself here and there too.
BUBBA069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I bet your boss loves you!

He's an illegal Canadian immigrant....cut him some slack.
He does actually. Cause I do good work.

I'm here perfectly legally to so get stuffed

Yes I'm just looking for handouts of course I'm what's wrong with the world by not wanting to spend te only life Ill ever have at work.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm here perfectly legally to so get stuffed
Yeah....now. Calm down, I was just yanking your canadian chain...
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

For sure
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I work I save I don't feel you have to work your as off either.

Quote:

Quote:
Yes I'm just looking for handouts of course I'm what's wrong with the world by not wanting to spend te only life Ill ever have at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Yeah....now. Calm down, I was just yanking your canadian chain...

Quote:
the whole point to life is to work as little as possible..
not the words I would use but its a good point.

I work 40 hours a week have a great retirement plan. I only support me at this time in life. The rest of the time I'm playing. This life is to short to spend it all working.
jammin311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Suck it up!

I never said I don't pay taxes, I do. I meant to say that there is much more to life than making money while simultaneously handing it off to someone or someplace else.

Hard work is a good thing, everyone should have that ethic. But busting your ass just to become another cash generating zombie is stupid.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #20
RCC Addict

i love my job ,pay not so good and i work for the most miserable man alive that hates everyone and everything. almost daily he threatens us with termination for the most petty things. i put up with his crap because of the crappy economy and lack of jobs, i never bring work home and once i punch out i put the job out of my head and enjoy the family and my crawlers and then start all over monday.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote