Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Lenny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Default Lenny

My wife decided to add to our family last week without telling me.

He's an 11 wk old black lab. We had a lengthy discussion several months ago about why we shouldn't get a lab, but apparently it didn't do any good.

Still, he's a good puppy (as far as puppies go), he's leash training well, and is pretty well behaved, so I can't complain too much.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

My Yellow Lab is just over 2 years old and is finally showing signs of calming down. He has been a blast and I love him more than just about anything, but until recently his energy level was insane (not that he has a lack of energy now or anything, he just controls it better now). The vet said Rowdy is definetly the best name we could have given him. I hope you enjoy your new pup as much as I have mine, good luck.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Ha ha! Cute pup.

My other half is much worse. Consider yourself lucky.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What a good boy!

I love Labs. if its plausible for you and your work situation, keep him with you as much as possible.

they are hyper, but also pretty darn smart, and a wonderful dog to train.

get a clicker!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
My Yellow Lab is just over 2 years old and is finally showing signs of calming down. He has been a blast and I love him more than just about anything, but until recently his energy level was insane (not that he has a lack of energy now or anything, he just controls it better now). The vet said Rowdy is definetly the best name we could have given him. I hope you enjoy your new pup as much as I have mine, good luck.
Right now he's not too bad. Obviously we have to keep him tied up when he goes outside (no fenced in yard, which is one of the reasons I didn't want to get a lab). He still spends about half of his time sleeping, and the other half playing, eating, or pooping. I have high hopes for him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Ha ha! Cute pup.

My other half is much worse. Consider yourself lucky.
I laid down some rules that had to be followed if we were going to keep him. He had to be house broken, he had to be walked 2 or 3 times a day, and he had to be cleaned up after. Since I was against having him, I made it clear that I would NOT clean up after him. Its been a week and I've stuck by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
What a good boy!

I love Labs. if its plausible for you and your work situation, keep him with you as much as possible.

they are hyper, but also pretty darn smart, and a wonderful dog to train.

get a clicker!
I'd love to take him around with me, but I can't. Right now my concern is what will happen this summer when the family goes to AZ for a month and leaves me behind with the dogs. The shitzu is fine on her own, but Lenny is going to be another matter entirely. I'm thinking I may have to build something to keep him contained in the kitchen/dining room while I'm gone during the day. Its where he'll do the least damage should he get too wound up.

The clicker works?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yeah a labs really not one of those breeds to keep tied up but you gotta do what you gotta do. Def make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

I hear the No Bark works pretty well?? I guess "they" figure hearing loss is more humane than a zap lol.

Do you live in town or rural? Its too early to say that he wont be trained well enough to stay around the house imo. However if the first applies to you than Im sure your zone permits some type of restraint.
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

A fenced in yard is a must, it was the first thing I did. Clickers and shock collars are not necessary, but basic obediance training is a very good idea. Labs are very smart and if you can keep their attention they listen very well.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Yeah a labs really not one of those breeds to keep tied up but you gotta do what you gotta do. Def make sure he gets plenty of exercise.

I hear the No Bark works pretty well?? I guess "they" figure hearing loss is more humane than a zap lol.

Do you live in town or rural? Its too early to say that he wont be trained well enough to stay around the house imo. However if the first applies to you than Im sure your zone permits some type of restraint.
He runs around plenty. When I walk him I keep him close until we get to the field, then I let him run the leash out and blast through the high grass.

Barking isn't an issue yet. He's pretty quite unless he's playing, or wants to play.

We live on the edge of town, with a cow pasture to the east and north. I've had to chase after him a couple of times into said pasture, but he's got a 50' cable that we keep him on otherwise.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
A fenced in yard is a must, it was the first thing I did. Clickers and shock collars are not necessary, but basic obediance training is a very good idea. Labs are very smart and if you can keep their attention they listen very well.
I'd love a fenced in yard, but once you get past the 2 inches of top soil, its solid rock. A couple years ago the wife wanted to put up a badminton net, and it was quite a job just to set the little 1" poles. I can't afford to pay someone to do it, and it would take me forever to do it myself.

And I'm not completely sure, but I think there may be a "no fence" policy in our neighborhood. Nobody around me has one. I can stand in the backyard and look straight down to the end of the block.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I'd love a fenced in yard, but once you get past the 2 inches of top soil, its solid rock. A couple years ago the wife wanted to put up a badminton net, and it was quite a job just to set the little 1" poles. I can't afford to pay someone to do it, and it would take me forever to do it myself.

And I'm not completely sure, but I think there may be a "no fence" policy in our neighborhood. Nobody around me has one. I can stand in the backyard and look straight down to the end of the block.
Well in that case plenty of walks, and runs thru the field you spoke of should be sufficient, if done on a regular basis.

Last edited by ROWDY RACING; 04-26-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
He still spends about half of his time sleeping, and the other half playing, eating, or pooping. I have high hopes for him though.
duuuuuuuuuude,

A sleepy puppy is a happy puppy

I've always loved labs, but their dander brings on the allergies big-time.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
duuuuuuuuuude,

A sleepy puppy is a happy puppy
Oh I know, but what I said came out wrong. Kinda sounded like I was expecting him to be able to mow the yard and do my taxes at some point.

The "high hopes" I have are in regard to training him. He's pretty smart, and he's shown great improvement in the week that we've had them. I've just got to stay on top of things, as does my wife and sis-in-law. About 20 minutes ago they took him outside, didn't hook him up, and off he went into the pasture.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Just remember there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Just remember there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners.
Absolutely. Being a dad has given me plenty of patience to deal with a puppy. Positive reinforcement all the way.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh I know, but what I said came out wrong. Kinda sounded like I was expecting him to be able to mow the yard and do my taxes at some point.

The "high hopes" I have are in regard to training him. He's pretty smart, and he's shown great improvement in the week that we've had them. I've just got to stay on top of things, as does my wife and sis-in-law. About 20 minutes ago they took him outside, didn't hook him up, and off he went into the pasture.

yes.. it would be nice if I could get Oliver to do my taxes and maybe perhaps Zoe could do my laundry... hell they don't even pay rent....
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Ha! Funny story that I forgot to mention...

After Lenny piddled on his puppy pad, my son asked why he wasn't potty trained yet. I told him it takes time, and he said "yeah, but he's 10 weeks old already!"

I looked him square in the eye and mentioned how he pooped his pants every day for 3 years before he learned to use the toilet.

End of discussion.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
MODERATOR™

I saw the thread title and without even taking the second to hover the mouse over the title to see what it was about, I thought Motröhead's Lemmy died. And then I thought, at least he made a cool Foo Fighters video before he died. Then I saw a doggie who's name is Lenny. All is well again in my world.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I saw the thread title and without even taking the second to hover the mouse over the title to see what it was about, I thought Motröhead's Lemmy died.
I think it goes without saying that Lemmy is in Motorhead.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

Probably right. Don't think I've ever had to explain it beyond Lemmy.

"Who?"

"Dude with the two huge things on his cheek."

"Who?"

"Motörhead?"

"Ah."

"What are you, queer?"

It's more like,

"Lemmy."

"Yep."

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

the best labs have a purpose.

they benefit greatly from a stern and loving master, and the relationship/bond that you establish when you train them.

w/ a lab, just focus on sit and stay. I've had 2 black labs, and if you get them to obey, not just listen, to sit and stay, they are wonderful dogs.

my old lab i had as a kid, would sit and stay in about 3' of water while we fished. they are a wonderful breed.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote