Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Laptop brands

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
or letting some rookie "sales associate" talk you into something you don't need.
I piss them off, 99% of the time. I know plenty about what specs are good, my concern though is a brands customer service, and reliably

As of right now i like the dell's because it comes with their 3 year pro warranty (they'll come on site to fix it, and my parents can call them to try and fix it or setup drivers or software or what not. I normally have todo this, but i don't enjoy it.) and it comes with a 3 year accidental repair/replacement, which is a plus.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
RCC Addict

In the past two years in my business, Lenovo is the best for the money. They aren't pretty and tend to be bulky and weigh more but work well and for 500-750 you can have a stout laptop. The best in my experience recently has been Samsung's upper end units. Most specifically the series 9 offerings. They are top dollar but well worth the money if that's what your looking for.

Dell is good if you stick with the upper end stuff. Precision and XPS is all I would buy. The Dell warranty is fantastic and NBD on site repair is really nice.

I own an IT support company providing services to small and medium businesses. I see everything and really don't care from a personal stand point what people buy. I don't retail, just provide service and support so I am not beholden to a certain brand. I just call it as I see it due to experience.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #23
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post

Dell is good if you stick with the upper end stuff. Precision and XPS is all I would buy. The Dell warranty is fantastic and NBD on site repair is really nice.
Hows the dell e6420

Latitude E6420

From what i've read, this is the same laptop as their e6420 ATG and/or XFR just a cheaper casing, but still durable. Durable is a plus. But i think since the guts are the same, the reliablity of them shouldn't be a consern, and if it is dell's warranty should be good enough to fix it.

ATG version

Latitude E6420 ATG

XFR

Latitude E6420 XFR Rugged Laptop

Ok...well this post got interrupted. Turns out we got the $1200 one i posted earlier. My step dad just got home, asked me if i figured something, said i was considering that model, mentioned the warranty, and he handed me the credit card told me the $1200 one

But i'm still interested in info
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

The 6420 is a nice machine. It is what we are deploying at work currently. If you splurge a little for the gold support it will have the best tech support you can imagine with next day onsite to fix it if it breaks..
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Looks like a good buy LK, as long is you don't buy there sub 750 dollar stuff it's generally okay.

Dell was top tier until they started selling mass market crap through retailers. I really think it's all the lower level crap that gave them their bad name. I still rock two Dell's myself. I don't know what I am buying next though. Waiting to see what options there are when windows 8 comes out. It will be some type of high performance tablet.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

My old work machine was a Lenovo T500, out of the 3 work bought mine was the only one that lasted 2.x years without any major issues. Now though, I'm pretty sure the hard drive is going. The other two had the keyboards replaced and the hard drives. Granted they are field machines and get abused and have more software on them than is good. Although I hated it for not having enough usb ports, it chugged along as good as could be expected for a base model pos.

The new one I have is a HP Probook 4730s. It has some nice features but I could do without the HP software in the background. It feels alot more solid than the Lenovo did.

Take this with a grain of salt though, the Lenovo was old and the HP is a little new to really test it out.

If I were to buy one for home I'd look at an Asus or MSI.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #27
Got Worms?

Anyone have info on the trend micro 3.5 anti virus software it comes with. we have 3 years of that too, but i can't find much info on it. Dell recommended it so i figured it was decent
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Anyone have info on the trend micro 3.5 anti virus software it comes with. we have 3 years of that too, but i can't find much info on it. Dell recommended it so i figured it was decent
Unsure how their home suite is different than business anymore.

In business its one of the best, if not the best out there IMO.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 as my work laptop. The biggest WIN for this laptop is the docking station if you use one. It has dual DVI out which I run two 22's off of at work. Though, no 10 key on the laptop keyboard unless you use the function key to turn some of the keys into a 10 key. I am usually docked though.

One thing I would consider if I were you, a SSD. I have the 256GB one in mine and swear by it.
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

For PC's, I'm a Lenovo fan.

I have, however, started migrating all of my personal equipment over to Apple, and I will never turn back.

Unfortunately, I'm an IT manager for a fairly large mortgage company, and we have to us PCs to manage everything. Thankfully our infrastructure is largely virtual, so I can use the RDP client for Mac and it works very well.

I have owned lots of Dells, and they are decent for the money; once you wipe them and reload them with a barebones OS.

Fink
Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

We use Dells at our company and I have a D620 and D830 - had them both for years with 0 issues. We find Dells to be very reliable, and we have a good business relationship. The just replaced a keyboard on a nearly 2 year old machine that was out of warranty - very nice.

We've tried out Toshibas and HP's, and we LOVE the Toshibas (I use a compact Portage at work and love it)

THe HP's are garbage. If the Iranians are indeed building nukes, I pray they are using HP's to control them. 3 motherboard problems including 2 complete replacements in 2 years along 5 machines. Never again as long as I am there.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
We use Dells at our company and I have a D620 and D830 - had them both for years with 0 issues. We find Dells to be very reliable, and we have a good business relationship. The just replaced a keyboard on a nearly 2 year old machine that was out of warranty - very nice.

We've tried out Toshibas and HP's, and we LOVE the Toshibas (I use a compact Portage at work and love it)

THe HP's are garbage. If the Iranians are indeed building nukes, I pray they are using HP's to control them. 3 motherboard problems including 2 complete replacements in 2 years along 5 machines. Never again as long as I am there.

The funny thing is, I used to think Toshiba's were awesome, but then they started to have issues. Then Lenovos were the next hot thing. Then Lenovo didn't really offer the options, so people started to look at HP and Dell. I have a few co-workers that stayed with Lenovo, a few went with HP, and I went Dell because at the time, for our budget per laptop, it was the only one with an SSD drive as an option and the dual DVI monitor docking station. For the size, the SSD, battery life, my Dell has been a rock solid machine. I hear my other coworkers who went with HP and Lenovo complain time from time, wether it's the short battery life, or size, or hardware issues. Been in the IT field for over 10 years now and I have seen a lot of different laptops. They really seem to come in waves. Today I stand behind my Dell. In a year or two when I refresh, I will revaluate them all.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

**** Asus, our web and IT directors at work both have them and hate them.
We use only Dell's, I'd recommend them, mainly because they coime with a real OS disc and you can download any and every driver from their website.
**** Toshiba's and VAIO's, mainly because they only have a restore partition that you have to create recovery discs from and you can only restore it to all the crap ass bloatware they include out of the box, and driver support blows. Now it's been awhile since I've dealt with either so maybe that's changed.
Now what I'd do is keep an eye out for Dell Outlet coupons, usually 15% - 20% off, you can save quite a bit and they still come with the same 1 year warranty as a new machine, and typically can be found with the same hardware specs as new offerings.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote