Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: anybody have a Sherline lathe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default anybody have a Sherline lathe?

Well, I drove over 6hrs today to go look at grizzly machines but I was disappointed in the quality of them. So, I began to look at other options. I have read that sherline makes quality products but I was hoping someone else could give me a real review. Thanks
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: anybody have a Sherline lathe?

been thinking about the grizz as well thanks for the input on it. thought they were a better deal than the sherline. if I'm not mistaken I might know someone that I could go look at it, I'll see if his phone # is the same, I give ya an idea of what it looks like if I can get ahold of the guy. i think it's a cnc sherline so if it is I'll let you know.
spyderwebbcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well, the sherline is smaller for the money, however I believe from my research that it's a better made product. I would much rather spend extra money for a quality machine. I was looking at the 3.5 x 17 with the threading attachment. I looked at several grizzy machines at the springfield mo warehouse. I was disappointed to see all the machines where made by different suppliers. No lathe was similar in specs, designs, or features. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

thats is really good to know, glad I didn't any thing yet. it might be in the morning when i find his number. I'm thinking really hard on the sherline
now. thats the thing. I wasen't looking at the size of it, i'd be makeing like small one of a kind parts for different build so wouldn't really need a biger set up just something that works well.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i own a sherline mill and an asian 7x10 lathe. I bought the lathe after the mill on a recomendation from CNC zone. Grizzly portays itself as a higher tier asian brand so my comparison may be a little too black and white. To me the quality difference is night and day. The sherline was making parts the night it arrived, the asian lathe took weeks to tear down, clean up and align. Sure the larger asian machine can take a reasonably deep cut, but i make small parts so i don't need to hog out a ton of material.

The only issue i face is having enough bed length to mount a large (and long) drill bit in the tailstock and be able to clear my work piece. I plan to buy a sherline or taig lathe in the future. The sherline will use my existing accessories andl be easier to CNC if i desire, but the taig is all the machine i really need.
ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

you have any web sites for the taig lathe, I woulden't mind reading up on it as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

what was wrong with the griz machines, everyone i know that has them won't buy any other brand........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
what was wrong with the griz machines, everyone i know that has them won't buy any other brand........bob

Well, they are Chinese for one. The other issues I had was that not one of their small lathes were similar in design. It seemed that they were all build by different manufacturers. The salesman couldn't tell me about the threading adjustments or what depth up cut I could expect out of the machines. The prices are higher in store than their catalogs but they won't do anything about that. I've researched a ton on these and everyone talks about how much work these take to be at all accurate. It's more just my wishy washyness than anything. I don't personally know anyone with a grizzly lathe, I am sure they work just fine it's just how I am.

I am currenty reading about taig lathes now. Tommorow will be something new. Either way I propably won't be happy with a small lathe as I run "full sizes" lathes at work.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderwebbcustoms View Post
you have any web sites for the taig lathe, I woulden't mind reading up on it as well.
Taig Tools - Desktop Milling Machines and Lathes.

Lucky for me there is a dealer about 45 mins from my house. He will be getting a call in the morning.

Doesn't look like these thread though.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
KMS
Rock Crawler

I have a lathe & mill that I bought from Grizzly, a 9x20 lathe a x3 mill both have been very good machines and have had very little trouble with them ,What I like most is if I have any question I can call there tech support and they are very helpfull [ havent let me down yet ] they do know the stuff ,Cant say much about there sales man tho ,
Attached Images

KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
I have a lathe & mill that I bought from Grizzly, a 9x20 lathe a x3 mill both have been very good machines and have had very little trouble with them ,What I like most is if I have any question I can call there tech support and they are very helpfull [ havent let me down yet ] they do know the stuff ,Cant say much about there sales man tho ,
Perfect example

He told me they sell the crap out of the smaller lathes, so I am sure they can't be all bad. I know the internet reviews are almost always negative on no matter what one researches. I have not given up on this one either

G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Perfect example

He told me they sell the crap out of the smaller lathes, so I am sure they can't be all bad. I know the internet reviews are almost always negative on no matter what one researches. I have not given up on this one either

G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe
If you want a bigger lathe the 10 x 22 is a good choice ,,You check out my lathe chuck is not stock ,I bought a 6 inch chuck and base plate I can clamp aleast a two inch diam, piece of alum, I make parts for Quarter scale cars in my shop ,
Old 12-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
If you want a bigger lathe the 10 x 22 is a good choice ,,You check out my lathe chuck is not stock ,I bought a 6 inch chuck and base plate I can clamp aleast a two inch diam, piece of alum, I make parts for Quarter scale cars in my shop ,
Very cool, I may be getting back with you on some setup info if I decide to go that route. Thanks for your input, every bit helps
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabeaume View Post
Very cool, I may be getting back with you on some setup info if I decide to go that route. Thanks for your input, every bit helps

You bet glad to help if I can
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Ive got the Sherline 5210. Been a great little mill though, after 3 yrs of use it needs to be completly tore down and all refurbished.Ive started getting a ton of backlash. If I was doing it again, I would get the same mill but order the 18" table.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
No idea what I'm doing

There's a mini-lathe section on CNC Zone that might be worth searching around in:

Mini Lathe - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
KMS
Rock Crawler

Here's one that I used back in the day http://www.mini-lathe.com
website very helpful ,,,
Old 12-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #18
Yashua

There's always a few to check out at Smithy.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
There's always a few to check out at Smithy.
Smithy's are the same as grizzly just rebranded. I found a used sherline mill and lathe on Craigslist. It's in the back of my tbss now.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

We have a family of famous miniatureist with in a few miles, very lucky. this guys pulished "the miniature cabinet maker", out of production for a hwile now but you can still get back issues on CD. anyway, long story short his daughter still does a lot of miniature work & Tom O'deay from the doll house shop in Richmond, va & I've got advice from them when perchasing tools for miniature work. I search eBay for 6 months looking for a Preac saw table & ended up going with a microlux, I have a grizzly scrawl saw & belt/disc sander. I'm happy with both of them. They are made fairly well in china & offer a lot of tool for the money. both these people, I trusted their recommendation & both have send sherline for a lathe and have said a lathe & table saw are where you don't want to cut corners on tools.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote

anybody have a Sherline lathe? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sherline... radishkid Tools, and Procedures 2 09-17-2005 10:28 AM
My new Sherline Fishmaxx Tools, and Procedures 14 07-14-2005 07:45 AM
Used Sherline ? 4XADICT Tools, and Procedures 3 06-23-2005 07:38 AM