Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Hyundai Lifetime Battery Warranty On Hybrids

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Hyundai Lifetime Battery Warranty On Hybrids

Just saw a commercial saying they have free battery replacement on their new Sonata Hybrid.

Anyone else think that is a bonehead move?

They are LIPO packs and with all the lawsuits other Hybrid manufacturers are going through with people complaining about the packs loosing capacity why would any company offer such a warranty?

Here is more info:
Hyundai Reveals Details of Its Hybrid Lifetime Battery Guarantee -- COSTA MESA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

They dont mention that it is also a dangerous battery chemistry if misused. I wouldnt want to be in that car if it got T-boned!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hyundai Lifetime Battery Warranty On Hybrids

It's Hyundai, I'll be surprised if the honor that warranty. Had the '08 Accent that my wife used (i repeat USED) to own in for service on five separate occasions with the transmission smoking and barely running and was told that there was nothing wrong with it. I will never own another one thats for sure. If someone tries to warranty the LiPO in those cars, I'm 99% sure that Hyundai will say that it is a consumable item just like tire pressure monitors (ours never worked), or the standard lead acid battery in a i/c model, or any other item they deem unnecessary to replace under their warranty simply because they are too lazy to actually service the car. Hopefully no one is hurt when one of those over sized batteries goes up in smoke (I'm picturing the Pinto fiasco all over again) but if it does happen hopefully Hyundai of America (or Kia motors) makes some changes to improve the cars. I realize that I'm prejudiced against those cars but in my personal experience i don't trust them as far as i can throw them.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I"ve always been a Chevy guy, but I LOVE my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. No it's not a Hybrid, but I've had a vew dealer/warranty issues that MY dealer was quick to remedy and they don't give a squat about my own intake mod. I guess it depends on the dealer, mine gave me a pretty good reason and deal to move up to the hybrid, I'm holding out for the Sante Fe hybrid model tho. (I need to get into something that better suites the back, in and out after running errands isn't the greatest) But that being said, Hyundai's here are made in Alabama, I support American jobs and would get the Hybrid with out hesitation if fit me needs/wants.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Just saw a commercial saying they have free battery replacement on their new Sonata Hybrid.

Anyone else think that is a bonehead move?

They are LIPO packs and with all the lawsuits other Hybrid manufacturers are going through with people complaining about the packs loosing capacity why would any company offer such a warranty?

Here is more info:
Hyundai Reveals Details of Its Hybrid Lifetime Battery Guarantee -- COSTA MESA, Calif., Jan. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

They dont mention that it is also a dangerous battery chemistry if misused. I wouldnt want to be in that car if it got T-boned!
If they were smart, the esc is set up like the better rc ones with cut offs and other protections on top of that. Unless there is a glitch in that, you shouldn't be able to over discharge one in either style. I'm hoping they were smart about there battery placement and put it someplace that it would be well protected in a collision. I figured GM had the Volt's pack location in a safe place that it would take a fatal crash to damage the battery in it, but apparently NHTSA has found that there was one style that could hurt it and cause a fire........if the car sat upside down in a field for the better part of a month after sliding sideways into a pole at 30mph and managing to catch the portion of the floor the seat brackets are welded to and shoving them into the battery tunnel hard enough that it bends far enough into the battery to cause that kind of damage That wreck is likely so rare in real life (I.E. not under lab conditions) that if you survive the initial wreck, you should go and buy a lotto ticket once you get out of the hospital
BJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I have been looking at getting a Sonata here recently. Been hearing alot of good things about Hyundai in recent years. Far as the lifetime warranty goes, its just like all other lifetime warranties, only valid to the original buyer. How many people will actually keep this car longer than 5 years?
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
dkf
Rock Crawler

Sounds better than Tesla's tough shit warrenty.

the understatement: “It’s A Brick” – Tesla Motors’ Devastating Design Problem

Last edited by dkf; 03-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Tesla is a joke...

Oh wait let me fix that

Electric cars are a joke, that is unless they are 1/5 scale or smaller!
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
dkf
Rock Crawler

Electric vehicles would be a lot less pathetic if the electric used to charge them were not coming primarily from fossil fuels and the batteries themselves were not such an environmental nightmare.

As for fires with EVs, the US taxpayer will help to foot the bill.

Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » DOE Allocates $4.4 Million To Help Firefighters Combat Chevy Volt Fires…
U.S. probes EV batteries after Chevy Volt fire | Reuters

So its a good idea to carry around a big class D fire extinguisher.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote

Hyundai Lifetime Battery Warranty On Hybrids - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RcBros Lifetime Warranty RcBro Chit Chat 6 07-21-2011 06:23 AM
Novak rooster fried, Does installing new battery connectors void warranty? Diesel-tech Electronics 4 04-13-2011 06:51 PM
the girl in the hyundai commercials... dieselfuel Chit Chat 23 12-25-2010 08:01 PM